What are you listening to?

Page 128 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

51JiO6ryIlL._SS500_.jpg

idc

Andy Summers for some chillout and then just found an album called The Repercussions of Angelic Behavouir with Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn and Bill Reiflin which has appeared on Spotify. Its is an extended, semi-constructed jamming session, fantastically played, very imaginative as you would expect from such musicians. Hopefully the Robert Fripp/Andy Summers collaborations will appear some time soon on Spotify or I can find them at Fopp.

21DESY57T8L._SL500_AA130_.jpg
21QPMTQ7AHL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

A

Anonymous

theres an instromental piece of music they use on final score , on bbc sport multiscreen at 4.30 they say , we will shortly be joined by bbc1 veiwers , theres about a minute where they play this tune before the final score theme tune kicks in and the programme restarts , ive tried to find out on the bbc website what this is but no luck ,

anyone ????

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Now O.S.I. andthe album Blood. Metal with electronic effects and it sounds mental on headphones. The band apparently features Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree and Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. If you like any of those bands this is worth a listen. It is brilliant.....

21tUOJGpm2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bought and listening to this on your recommendation Ian. It is very good. A little bit too much electronica for me to fall head over heels with it, but it'll certainly get repeated listens. I'm gonna see if the first two O.S.I albums can be had for a bit less than RRP.

idc

Big Chris:idc:

Now O.S.I. andthe album Blood. Metal with electronic effects and it sounds mental on headphones. The band apparently features Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree and Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. If you like any of those bands this is worth a listen. It is brilliant.....

Bought and listening to this on your recommendation Ian. It is very good. A little bit too much electronica for me to fall head over heels with it, but it'll certainly get repeated listens. I'm gonna see if the first two O.S.I albums can be had for a bit less than RRP.

I could have sworn I saw OSI as one of your albums Chris. Delighted I found something for you for a change. The other two albums, Free and Office of Stategic Influence are not as electronic as Blood.

Presently listening to the bassist Trey Gunns album Music for Pictures. Twenty nine short tracks, most about the 2 minute mark. of numerous styles and all excellent. Then one incredibly dull 21 minute long track.

51vW1PHBjcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Not sure it will get too many repeat listens, but provided a very amusing distraction to the mundanity of the London commute this morning...

daveh75

idc:Big Chris:idc:

I could have sworn I saw OSI as one of your albums Chris. Delighted I found something for you for a change. The other two albums, Free and Office of Stategic Influence are not as electronic as Blood.Just been listening to all three O.S.I albums on Spotify,very good they are too.Have just ordered Blood from Amazon, cheers for the recommendation idc......

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:idc:

Bought and listening to this on your recommendation Ian. It is very good. A little bit too much electronica for me to fall head over heels with it,

No offence BC (I might be argumentative but I'm not stupid!) but I think that last comment is possibly one of the most depressing things I've read in a long time.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Big Chris:idc:

Bought and listening to this on your recommendation Ian. It is very good. A little bit too much electronica for me to fall head over heels with it,

No offence BC (I might be argumentative but I'm not stupid!) but I think that last comment is possibly one of the most depressing things I've read in a long time.

In what way lhc? Could you elaborate?
emotion-40.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:the_lhc:Big Chris:idc:

emotion-40.gif

Just that the idea that the album might contain some elements of non-guitar based music (I haven't heard it, so I don't know the balance of guitar to electronic) would preclude it from being a favourite, or as well liked than if it contained no electronica. I listened to metal for years (still do sometimes but it has to be VERY good now for me to like it) but even then it was the stuff that attempted to shift the goalposts a little that most interested me, f'rinstance I love Slayer's Reign in Blood, classic album, always will be, but my favourite track of theirs is Seasons in the Abyss, because they tried to do something different with the structure of the music (I still laugh at some of the letters to Kerrang! from fans complaining that they'd written a ballad!), but even more interesting for me was the experimental mix that appeared on the B-side of the picture disc where they added some (really quite subtle) synths in the background, it was just exciting to hear someone do something different with the genre.

But then I've always been a PWEI fan, so maybe that's to be expected, the closest any Metal band got to that kind of innovation was Mordred's Fool's Game, wish I could find that on CD now...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Big Chris:the_lhc:Big Chris:idc:

emotion-40.gif

Just that the idea that the album might contain some elements of non-guitar based music (I haven't heard it, so I don't know the balance of guitar to electronic) would preclude it from being a favourite, or as well liked than if it contained no electronica.

I think you're misinterpreting what I wrote. I do like it very much, there are a number of elements to the music which preclude it from being in the small select group of what I would class as my "favourite bands", such as Opeth, Textures, Meshuggah, Neurosis, and a couple of others. (Which you may well know have very little in common with each other, despite all coming under the metal banner)

If I only ever listened to my "favourite bands", my CD collection would be very small indeed, and I probably wouldn't have even moved on from Queen & Metallica who were my favourite bands when I first got into music when I was 11 or so. Sometimes, you've got to take a chance. Sometimes, it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. O.S.I will undoubtedly make it into the 60% or so of CDs which will come out once every couple of months and listened to in its entirety and fully enjoyed. Who knew, it could have become one of my top 20% on almost permanent circulation, or one of the 20% or so which I never listen to either because I didn't like it in the first place, or loved it at first, over-played and killed it, or just moved on from that period in my life when that artist/album held any joy for me.

I have no problem with elements of electronic music in my metal (Ted Maul's album 'White Label' is just one album I own which I think is awesome, which incorporates a large amount of electronica and even some drum and bass influences). But when the amount of electronica added derails the song somewhat, I feel it could have done without or with less of it.

I don't believe that the only stuff worth listening to has downtuned guitars and double kick drums and is played above 200 bpm, but as a hard rock/metal fan there are certain things I do like in my music.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris: I don't believe that the only stuff worth listening to has downtuned guitars and double kick drums and is played above 200 bpm, but as a hard rock/metal fan there are certain things I do like in my music.

Ok, I probably did misinterpret it, although I have to say I've been shying away from describing myself as a particular genre fan for a while now, although that's probably because there's far more I don't like in all genres than what I do!

I'm not sure I even like music to be honest, I seem to spend more time looking for interesting sounds rather than good songs, that's what got me into metal when I was younger, the guitar sound, but I got annoyed with the lyrical content after a while, probably explains why I listen to a lot of instrumental stuff now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts