What are you listening to?

Page 126 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

matthewpiano:

Curzon is one of the jewels in Britain's musical crown. Fabulous musicianship and one of the best Liszt Sonata recordings in the catalogue.

Is it on Spotify? Classical music tends to defy its search...

matthewpiano

JohnDuncan:matthewpiano:

Curzon is one of the jewels in Britain's musical crown. Fabulous musicianship and one of the best Liszt Sonata recordings in the catalogue.

Is it on Spotify? Classical music tends to defy its search...

Well I'm listening to it on CD (like all of my classical listening), but I've just searched for it on Spotify with no joy.

Spotify is great in many ways but it does seem to get flummaxed by classical music.

John Duncan

It does, yes, but then i'm no great fan (as James Jolly would attest). Though maybe if they got James' Good CD Guide loaded up that'd be a start...
emotion-2.gif

idc

A more traditional approach to prog rock from the USA with Spocks Beard and the album 'Octane'. I am hearing influences from all the best known 1970s prog rock bands from Genesis to Pink Floyd to ELP and elements of Jethro Tull and Rush. There are loads of different styles, time changes, fantastic musicianship, well recorded and everything to keep a prog rock fan happy...........

51ECYQ9AD5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Islands - Vapours
New Mew album with very long title
Tortoise - Beacons of Ancestorship
Pelican - Australasia
OM - God is Good
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
OBITS - I Blame You
The Walkmen - You & Me
Girls - Album

idc

Finally, some British modern Prog Rock from Tinyfish and the album 'Curious Things'. The only thing wrong with this album is that it is too short. Beautiful, clever and melodic, this is the pop end of prog rock with some brilliant electronic beats, try the track Why Vhf?, absolutely beautiful........

51ZY2INeUAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

idc

Now to the Netherlands (well, the main band member anyway) and Ayreon with (and about time too) a concept album 'The Human Condition'. It is twenty days (tracks) of prog metal as if Dream Theater had mixed with Yes with a bit of Rainbow and a ton of other bands thrown in. The album was released in 2006, but has a major 1970s vibe to it. There are some dramatic sounds, including on the opening track a car skid that made me jump. Try 'Day Three: Pain' to get a flavour of the album....

61QVCN9Q2PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

daveh75

idc:
Finally, some British modern Prog Rock from Tinyfish and the album 'Curious Things'. The only thing wrong with this album is that it is too short. Beautiful, clever and melodic, this is the pop end of prog rock with some brilliant electronic beats, try the track Why Vhf?, absolutely beautiful........

Just finished listening to both this and Anekdoten-Time of Day. Wasn't keen on Tinyfish at all,though Anekdoten-Time of Day was rather good......

A

Anonymous

I picked this up on CD:

262731824_cdd79c657d.jpg

Early 70s funk...this one is from 1970. The back of the CD case has the same picture as the LP below. Frankly I couldn't put it down after I saw this pic:

meters_struttin2.jpg

Note the perfect execution of the "tough in candystripe flares in a children's climbing frame" look.

The inclusion of the Funk version of "Wichita Lineman" was also a major draw...excellent vocal by the way.

idc

daveh75:idc:

Just finished listening to both this and Anekdoten-Time of Day. Wasn't keen on Tinyfish at all,though Anekdoten-Time of Day was rather good......

Lol, I would put odds on your preference being the other way round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts