What are you listening to?

Page 125 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

51EGEIQgl-L._SS500_.jpg

51rDfevUK1L._SS400_.jpg

Another band that i recently re-discovered,and am thoroughly enjoying.

idc

Continuing with todays modern prog rock theme, two classics.......

61Dct1csBwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41P87BKVZXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

...both are a joy to listen to and will give any system a great workout. With headphones I can just lose myself in the music. Each listen finds something new as both albums have so much going on, with great detail and clarity to the music.

The Flaming Lips 'In the morning of the Magicians' is my new favourite song, beautiful.

idc

daveh75:idc:

41CBuTh2J9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
31p-w3u7IyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

emotion-21.gif

Brilliant stuff, I have just let Spotify run into 'Hello Blackbird' as well. 'Modern Prog Rock' (to give it a genre) has given my listening a whole new lease of life. This kind of music was made for hifi with its many layers of sound, stereo effects and fantastic musicianship. Mercury Rev, Tortoise, Mansun, The Flaming Lips, The Beta Band, Bjork and most recently Pure Reason Revolution. Have you got any other suggestions Dave?

daveh75

idc:Have you got any other suggestions Dave? More space/indie/prog pop/new prog influenced but how about MEW?

I've been playing 'No More Stories' or to give it it's full name (No More Stories / Are Told Today / I'm Sorry / They Washed Away //
No More Stories / The World Is Grey / I'm Tired / Let's Wash Away)
a lot lately........

But, 'And the Glass Handed Kites' may be more to your taste as it's probably the most "prog rock " of thier albums i'd say......

idc

I googled prog rock bands to look for inspiration and then checked Spotify and I have made a list of stuff to listen to. First off is a Welsh goth/prog/rock band called Magenta and the album is 'Art and Accidents'. Its all good, anthemic, heavy guitar riffs with female lead vocals, but it is also all a bit samey.......

41c7Mvzl63L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Massive Enigma is the stand out track for me.

idc

Prog Rock recommendation from Sweden and Anekdoten. This has an early Genesis/King Crimson mellotron/woodwind groove to it, mixed in with some out and out rockers. Heavy beats are set to some very melodic passages. Very satisfying......

41xKXUur20L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am a massive rock fan and always have Planet Rock on the radio either in the house, car and now while I write this on the pc. Planet Rock has just done a poll to see which is the best rock solo albums of all time. This was at No1.

If you have not got it, get it.

Miggs.

idc

The Prog Rock search heads to Poland with Believe and the album 'Hope to see another day'. They are described from the little I can find on the internet as art rock and prog rock. They are too heavy in my mind for both and sound a bit like a more metal version of Rush. I can only find an image of the DVD.....

4169cEQIP4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Coming Down is my stand out track.

idc

Now O.S.I. andthe album Blood. Metal with electronic effects and it sounds mental on headphones. The band apparently features Kevin Moore from Dream Theater, Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree and Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. If you like any of those bands this is worth a listen. It is brilliant.....

21tUOJGpm2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts