What are you listening to?

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

I enjoy reading your reviews, whereas I can't be bothered to say much beyond this is actually rather good............

41E2X431YZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

matthewpiano

The Alvarez disc is enjoyable and an interesting listen. There are some beautiful moments in his singing, with the arias from Il Travatore really showing him at his best. However, the hype surrounding him as a 'great Verdi tenor' is put into perspective very quickly when you listen to the truly great Carlo Bergonzi.

Bergonzi was, IMO, the most stylish of all tenors with a beautiful voice, supported with musicianship of the highest order. His Puccini and Verdi interpretations bring the characters to life. He had the knack of projecting a vocal line even when singing very quietly, but when his voice opens out on the high notes it is glorious and golden. You can keep Pavarotti in this repertoire - Bergonzi was in a different class.

The Kissin/LSO/Davis set is excellent. The Russian pianist is now a truly great Beethoven player - his interpretation and understanding of the music has grown considerably since his Sony Classical recordings with Levine of the 2nd and 5th concertos and the orchestral accompaniment is excellent as I'd expect from the LSO.

A

Anonymous

Today ive listened to Arctic Monkeys, Tricky, Massive Attack, The doors, Death Cab for cutie, suicidal tendencies, offspring, ratm, chess and royksopp. 5 hours of non-stop music in my chair. Better get my mountainbike out tomrorrow before i take on the shape of a potato =)

matthewpiano

I'm a big fan of Uchida's playing normally but, after this first listening, I'm not yet sure about her latest release. Technically its all there with her trademark pearly runs and complete command of the two works, but it lacks that something which is hard to define but which Clifford Curzon's recordings of these concertos has. Curzon just seems to take more delight in the contrasts and character of the music, whereas it has a tendency to sound slightly academic in Uchida's hands. It will be interesting to see if my thoughts change after further listening.

The best way to listen to Mussorgsky's 'Pictures At An Exhibition' is in the original solo piano version in a live recording made by Sviatoslav Richter in Sofia. He brings the paintings to life and, somehow, the piano is by turns more menacing and playful. However, Ravel's orchestration is very effective and this recording by Rattle with the Berlin Phil is atmospheric and characterful, with beautiful playing from the orchestra and excellent recorded sound.

idc

matthewpiano: ....... The best way to listen to Mussorgsky's 'Pictures At An Exhibition' is in the original solo piano versionEmerson, Lake & Palmer in a live recording made by Sviatoslav Richter in Sofia.Emerson Lake & Palmer at Newcastle. He brings They bring the paintings to life and, somehow, the piano is by turns more menacing and playful. However, Ravel's orchestration is very effective and this recording by Rattle Keith Emerson with the Berlin Phil Greg Lake and Carl Palmer is atmospheric and characterful, with beautiful playing from the orchestra the band and excellent recorded sound........

Presently enjoying The Durutti Column because they are very good......nice jazzy rock with a few dance licks thrown in for good measure..............

sporadic3_350.jpg

idc

ELP are an aquired taste, a marmite band. This on the other hand is mesmorising, breath-taking, atmospheric and all should try it. My favourite out of a whole album of superb tracks is 'Maggie'.

41z8k-repqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

matthewpiano

On Spotify. Disappointing. I loved 'Absolution' and thought 'Black Holes And Revelations' was a decent enough album with a couple of standout tracks. This new one is derivative (of what Muse have done before) and it doesn't really have much that is interesting to say. Won't be buying it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts