What amp is best w/ Audiolab 8200CD

Iglesias

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi from Japan,

I'm very impressed w/ the Audiolab 8200CD player & would like recommendations on what integrated amplifiers you think would partner it best. Unfortunately, I cannot find Cyrus products in Japan. However, I can get Roksan & Naim. I plan on getting either a pair of ATC SCM11's or ProAc ST110's or even a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7's. Finally I would like to go for the Clearaudio Concept t/table.

Any help and/or suggestions greatfully received & appreciated.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't know which amps are supposed to have 'synergy' with the audiolab, but FWIW I'm using mine with a Rotel RA1520 and PMC DB1i speakers. I think it sounds superb at low and high volumes with all kinds of music. I listen equally through the CD player, Rega Planar 1 table with upgraded Ortofon OM20 stylus (using the rega mini fono rather than the Rotel turntable pre), FLAC files and internet radio played from the laptop. The transparency, staging, and detail along with the surprisingly massive bass lead me to listen for longer than I thought I was going to when I started! I have a less than ideal speaker placement due to asymetric position either side of a chimney breast, but it all sounds good to me and there won't be any improvements or upgrades looked for in the foreseeable future.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Iglesias

I would recommend going for the 8200CDQ rather than the 8200CD, which, with it's built in choice of analogue or digital pre-amplifier, will allow you to connect it directly to a power amplifier rather than an integrated amplifier. Instead of an average of 50wpc, you'll be able to add the 8200P power amplifier which will give you 100wpc, with a higher current output too, which will drive a far wider range of loudspeakers that any equivalently priced integrated amplifier could, something that speakers like the SCM11's will greatly appreciate.

While you'll get several digital inputs and three analogue inputs with the 8200CDQ, you will need to pick up a phono stage, which will be the case with most quality integrated amplifiers anyway. At least this way you can choose a phono stage which will get more out of the Concept, rather than a lesser one integrated into an integrated amplifier.

Iglesias said:
Hi from Japan,

I'm very impressed w/ the Audiolab 8200CD player & would like recommendations on what integrated amplifiers you think would partner it best. Unfortunately, I cannot find Cyrus products in Japan. However, I can get Roksan & Naim. I plan on getting either a pair of ATC SCM11's or ProAc ST110's or even a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7's. Finally I would like to go for the Clearaudio Concept t/table.

Hi Iglesias

I take it that you've listened to the 8200CD? If so, what amplification and speakers were used?

What do you generally listen to?

Is your preference for an integrated amplifier, pre/power or either?

Apart from a phono stage is there anything else in particular you would like the amplifier to also have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, etc.)?

Any specific power requirements from the amplifier?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

The size of your room?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a cabinet, etc.)?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

Interconnects and speakers cables?

Your maximum budget for an amplifier and speakers is?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Iglesias

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies/suggestions.

Whiskywheels - Unfortunately the Rotel RA1520 is unavailable in Japan for some strange reason.

FrankHarveyHiFi - The Audiolab 8200CDQ is presently unavailable in Japan, although I hope that it will appear sometime early next year. The same goes for the Audiolab 8200P. Slightly frustrating, but I"ll just have to be patient.

Hi MUSICRAFT!

Hi Iglesias

I take it that you've listened to the 8200CD? If so, what amplification and speakers were used? ROKSAN KANDY 2/NAIM NAIT 5i/ATC SCM 11's/DYNAUDIO DM 2/7'S

What do you generally listen to? Experimental >>> Noisy guitar>>> Dub Reggae>>Classical >>> Electronica>>> ECLECTIC Tastes

Is your preference for an integrated amplifier, pre/power or either? WHICH/WHATEVER I CAN AFFORD

Apart from a phono stage is there anything else in particular you would like the amplifier to also have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, etc.)? REMOTE & HEADPHONE SOCKET

Any specific power requirements from the amplifier? NO

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished? HEAVY (BOOKSHELVES & TABLE)

The size of your room? 3.5M WIDE BY 4.5M IN LENGTH

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a cabinet, etc.)? DISTANCE TO CORNER = 0.5M DISTANCE TO BACK WALL = 0.5M

Your listening distance? 1.5/2M

Your general listening level? JUST ABOVE A QUARTER

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers? STAND MOUNT

Interconnects and speakers cables? I USE A JAPANESE BRAND CALLED OYAIDE FOR ALL MY INTERCONNECTS & POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS.

Your maximum budget for an amplifier and speakers is? 2,500 GBP & 1,000 GBP (MAX) FOR A TURNTABLE (CANT GET REGA IN JAPAN!)

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?QUITE BIG, BUT CONTROLLED. GOOD DEEP BASS LEVELS, BUT NOT TOO 'BOOMY'.

MY PRESENT SYSTEM - MARANTZ 8004 CD/MARANTZ PM 8003/MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX2/ SOUND MAGIC HI-FI RACK & TAOC (SAND FILLED) SPEAKER STANDS. SOLID CORE OYAIDE SPKR. CABLE & OYAIDE INTERCONNECTS/POWER SUPPLY.

Any/all suggestions and advice would be most greatfully received.

best wishes

Iglesias

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
If you are able to wait I would say go for look at and listen to the CDQ, there are additional benefits over the CD sonically plus you do not have to go the Power Amp route now as the CDQ can be set to a fixed output, the headphone out is excellent the biggest draw for me was the input flexibility I now stream all my music and the input options are fantastic, do not think of it as a CD player it is a DAC Pre Amp that can also play CD's and has 3 analoge inputs.

The power amp IMO is a better proposition it does not have to be Audiolab the CDQ will partner easily with other kit, have you considered second hand it would open up your options if you can get hold of used kit, the drawback being you may not be able to listen before you buy.

With respect to speakers I have not heard the CDQ with Dynaudio's myself but did read a positive review when the CDQ was first avaliable if you google (audiolab cdq dynaudio westlake) you should find it, I believe they will require good amplification to get the best out of them.

Edit - just re wread your last post, your current setup is pretty decent I am not sure if the integrated amps you mention will be much beter, they may sound different but I would guess are not a marked step up, The right Pre/Power is more likely to do that for you.

Get some demo's set up with your short list kit only you can tell if it is worth the extra, do you have dealers that will let you Home Demo? You could try the CDQ with your 8300 in power amp mode as a base line.

Iglesias said:
Hi from Japan,

Hi

I would look at Leema Pulse and Dynaudio speakers: That should sound awesome! Whatever is short-listed you need to "Try before you Buy".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts