Best amp for B&W 606 S2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all your input guys, some really sound advice here and it’s given me lots to think about. I’m gonna be listening to vinyl on this system pretty much 98% of the time. If I can find a way to stream Spotify via my phone that would be a bonus, but tbh, it’s no biggie if not. I tend to stream music in the kitchen via a Marshall Bluetooth speaker, with a few beers, with the fam and friends. Yknow, get a bit of a playlist going on a Fri/Sat night. I also use it to check out new bands etc. I tend to buy the stuff I like on vinyl, so really just wanna put together the best system I can afford to enable me to hear my faves in style!
I’ve got the aforementioned shortlist sorted so will def be auditioning in the next couple of weeks. I will also try and see if I can try and get a home audition once I’ve narrowed things down. Will keep you all posted👍🏻

HoxtonBridge

May 28, 2022
Visit site
Interesting reading this thread. There is some good advice here. I would like to add that at 88db sensitivity, the 606 S2 are not especially hard to drive so pay attention to the comment about a clean sound rather than seek greater power. Unless you really intend to play these at ear strangling levels some of the stated requirements are off the mark. At the same time, don't read clean for clinical and bright as these speakers are not exactly on the warm side. Hence, you are right to be sceptical of Audiolab, Naim, amongst others. Too much detail can sound great for a 10 minute audition, but will fatigue with extended listening. Good luck... Best, HB.

Reactions: Markthemoo

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Interesting reading this thread. There is some good advice here. I would like to add that at 88db sensitivity, the 606 S2 are not especially hard to drive so pay attention to the comment about a clean sound rather than seek greater power. Unless you really intend to play these at ear strangling levels some of the stated requirements are off the mark. At the same time, don't read clean for clinical and bright as these speakers are not exactly on the warm side. Hence, you are right to be sceptical of Audiolab, Naim, amongst others. Too much detail can sound great for a 10 minute audition, but will fatigue with extended listening. Good luck... Best, HB.

Yes great advice and it’s helped a lot. I’ve read a bit about the brightness of these speakers, so I’m definitely looking for something warm sounding to counteract this. At the moment, I think I’m leaning towards the Brio but ultimately I’ll be guided by my ears.
I don’t play my music loud all of the time, but I am prone to a nice bit of volume if the mood takes me..hence my requirement for something that can deliver when needed! As these speakers are not that big however, I am realistic as to what can be achieved. As I said earlier, I just want to get the best quality I can for the dosh that I have.

Reactions: HoxtonBridge

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
I’ve just read something about the AXR100 being quite ‘warm and relaxed’, which might be another option for my 606’s. Anybody had any experiences with one of these? The loud fan might be an issue though?

OP the discontinued Rotel RA-1062 and the NAD C370 are also worth bearing in mind.

The RA-1062 for a crisp, fast, punchy and dynamic presentation and the C370 for a rich, full bodied and powerful presentation. Either way in terms of the quality of power and performance I think you might struggle to find a better integrated amp from the current crop of amplifiers within your budget then the RA-1062 and the C370 for the 606 S2's.

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Unfortunately I couldn’t demo any of the Rotel amps, so it ended up being a Cyrus/Rega Brio duel.
As I mentioned previously, I heard the Brio with the 606’s a couple of weeks back. Whilst it wasn’t bad, the sound just didn’t ‘grab’ me on that occasion..and it didn’t this time either really. I wanted to try it again based on what I’ve read from people who own one, thinking that maybe my expectations were too high the first time around.
We tried the Brio first today and admittedly it did sound good, but the same track played through the Cyrus got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck..a real difference to my ears! The bass was more pronounced for one..which I liked..but it also sounded livelier in general, had more balls (for want of a better phrase)!
Again, I didn’t notice this brightness that everyone keeps talking about with the B&Ws. Yeah the demo room has probably been set up perfectly and therefore they might not sound the same in my room etc. but I really was blown away by what I heard today and for me, they are a done deal. So is the Cyrus. I listened to a ton of stuff and it all sounded great..so I whacked down a deposit for a B stocker at £599.😀

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately I couldn’t demo any of the Rotel amps, so it ended up being a Cyrus/Rega Brio duel.
As I mentioned previously, I heard the Brio with the 606’s a couple of weeks back. Whilst it wasn’t bad, the sound just didn’t ‘grab’ me on that occasion..and it didn’t this time either really. I wanted to try it again based on what I’ve read from people who own one, thinking that maybe my expectations were too high the first time around.
We tried the Brio first today and admittedly it did sound good, but the same track played through the Cyrus got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck..a real difference to my ears! The bass was more pronounced for one..which I liked..but it also sounded livelier in general, had more balls (for want of a better phrase)!
Again, I didn’t notice this brightness that everyone keeps talking about with the B&Ws. Yeah the demo room has probably been set up perfectly and therefore they might not sound the same in my room etc. but I really was blown away by what I heard today and for me, they are a done deal. So is the Cyrus. I listened to a ton of stuff and it all sounded great..so I whacked down a deposit for a B stocker at £599.😀
Hairs standing up on the back of the neck? Perfect result. shows why auditions are essential. Excellent result!

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Hairs standing up on the back of the neck? Perfect result. shows why auditions are essential. Excellent result!
Yeah I’m really glad I did it. I guess I could’ve auditioned a few more speakers..they had some MA Silvers which looked great..but I really was taken with the B&Ws immediately. They also look great and will fit in well with how I’m gonna decorate the man cave. Just gotta wait for the house to complete now so that I can get in there and set everything up! Thanks again for all the advice from everyone, it’s been really helpful. I’ll post an update once it’s all ready to roll👍🏻

Reactions: Al ears

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Yeah I’m really glad I did it. I guess I could’ve auditioned a few more speakers..they had some MA Silvers which looked great..but I really was taken with the B&Ws immediately. They also look great and will fit in well with how I’m gonna decorate the man cave. Just gotta wait for the house to complete now so that I can get in there and set everything up! Thanks again for all the advice from everyone, it’s been really helpful. I’ll post an update once it’s all ready to roll👍🏻

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
So it’s been a while but we’ve finally moved. The room is freshly painted and the system was set up last night. I have to say, it totally blew me away….unbelievable sound! I can confirm that the Cyrus HD and B&W 606 speakers are a pretty damn good match to my ears! Really nice amount of bass and not too bright at all. I managed to pick up an ex-demo Rega planar 2 to finish it all off and this has also been a revelation. Happy days😉

Gray

...but it also sounded livelier in general, had more balls (for want of a better phrase)!
That energetic quality was the most noticeable (and deciding) factor when I bought my Cyrus 8 amp.
(First used with B&W CDM-1NT, now with PMC 20.21 speakers).

The amp can't make the music any more energetic than it actually is, but, like me, you'd probably rather it didn't make it less so.

Keep enjoying it 👍

manicm

So it’s been a while but we’ve finally moved. The room is freshly painted and the system was set up last night. I have to say, it totally blew me away….unbelievable sound! I can confirm that the Cyrus HD and B&W 606 speakers are a pretty damn good match to my ears! Really nice amount of bass and not too bright at all. I managed to pick up an ex-demo Rega planar 2 to finish it all off and this has also been a revelation. Happy days😉

Great to hear about your success. I would also think the Cyrus HD and 606 would pair well from what I gleaned.

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Great to hear about your success. I would also think the Cyrus HD and 606 would pair well from what I gleaned.
It really does sound awesome. I was impressed at the audition (hence the purchase) but after reading the negative feedback regarding the brightness of the 606, coupled with the fact that the audition room is nothing like my room, I started to regret not trying for a home audition. However the combo has totally blown me away. To put it simply…it’s stunning😉

Reactions: rainsoothe and Gray

rainsoothe

It really does sound awesome. I was impressed at the audition (hence the purchase) but after reading the negative feedback regarding the brightness of the 606, coupled with the fact that the audition room is nothing like my room, I started to regret not trying for a home audition. However the combo has totally blown me away. To put it simply…it’s stunning😉
Nice. Love the Cyrus One HD, very well balanced imo, and looks pretty good too.

Zakhele

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, could use some advice. I’ve recently come by some B&W 606 S2 speakers and would like some suggestions as to which amp would go well with them. I have around £700 to spend. I was initially considering the Audiolab 6000A as Ive read that this seems to go quite nicely. However, for the same price, I could get a bad 368 or a Cyrus 1. They are going in a 3.6m x 2.5m room initially, but may be going into a larger room at some point. Any suggestions would be greatly received!
NAD C370, they sell for £250 - £300 on eBay in very good condition. NAD C370 will have plenty of power and grip. You will still be left with around £400

NADman

Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
Heard a 6000A but found it very dry, cold and analytical. Haven’t heard the NAD. I wouldn’t be looking any further than the Rega Brio which, in my opinion, sounds superb with 606 S2. However, it’s analogue only, if you needed an internal DAC. All personal preferences though, so book an audition somewhere.
I am using a Rega Brio with B&W DM 602 S2 standmounts which on modern recordings (vinyl and CD) sound excellent though can sound a little bright/harsh on older (1960's) records.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts