Best amp for B&W 606 S2

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, could use some advice. I’ve recently come by some B&W 606 S2 speakers and would like some suggestions as to which amp would go well with them. I have around £700 to spend. I was initially considering the Audiolab 6000A as Ive read that this seems to go quite nicely. However, for the same price, I could get a bad 368 or a Cyrus 1. They are going in a 3.6m x 2.5m room initially, but may be going into a larger room at some point. Any suggestions would be greatly received!

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Heard a 6000A but found it very dry, cold and analytical. Haven’t heard the NAD. I wouldn’t be looking any further than the Rega Brio which, in my opinion, sounds superb with 606 S2. However, it’s analogue only, if you needed an internal DAC. All personal preferences though, so book an audition somewhere.

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for
Heard a 6000A but found it very dry, cold and analytical. Haven’t heard the NAD. I wouldn’t be looking any further than the Rega Brio which, in my opinion, sounds superb with 606 S2. However, it’s analogue only, if you needed an internal DAC. All personal preferences though, so book an audition somewhere.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the Brio/606 pairing. However, at 50w, would the Brio be powerful enough to bring out the best in the 606? B&W recommend an amp between 30-120W for these speakers so with that in mind, I would’ve thought so, but I’ve read elsewhere that an amp with a bit more power would be better? I will of course audition, I’m just trying to narrow things down beforehand.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I’ve had a Brio powering my 606 S2’s and was hugely impressed. 50W is plenty for normal domestic listening. The 6000A is also 50W. Curiously, I once spoke to a representative from Bowers and Wilkins about amplifier recommendations and power. He said that BW is part or a larger company which incorporates Marantz and Denon. However, they still use Rotel to provide amplifiers for listening tests and demos. He said the 606 S2s require a minimum of 40W to hear them at their best, but most testing and demos were done with a Rotel A14 or RA 1572 mk ii. That does not, of course, take into account any kind of subjectivity or preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
I did initially think of Rotel. However I’ve read a ton of reviews that describe them as quite bright, therefore maybe not so great with the 606? I’ll have to put the Brio down on the audition list then if you say there’s enough power to drive them effectively. I’m also quite interested in the Cyrus 1 HD and read good things about them combined with the 606. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I did initially think of Rotel. However I’ve read a ton of reviews that describe them as quite bright, therefore maybe not so great with the 606? I’ll have to put the Brio down on the audition list then if you say there’s enough power to drive them effectively. I’m also quite interested in the Cyrus 1 HD and read good things about them combined with the 606. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
I’ve found Rotel to be very neutral with very good power supplies. They’re good amplifiers. I haven’t heard the Cyrus so couldn’t comment. Anywhere near to you that you could audition a few pieces?

Nothing that garanties that it's a perfect match
true, but not everyone hears what you do so it's worthwhile the OP auditioning one, I wouldn't call any of the Rotel amps I have owned bright, otherwise I wouldn't have owned them.... :)
I'd certainly like to know which reviewers called it bright because I cannot recall seeing that word in any review I have read of this amp.

Markthemoo

May 30, 2022
Visit site
I’ve not considered the used route but it’s something to consider…that creek looks plenty powerful and the price is nice. However as I’m setting up my first ‘proper’ system here, it might be nice to go for something new. I’d also have the benefit of warranty, support etc.
So going by your suggestions, I’m gonna head down to Audio T at some point and audition the Brio, Rotel and as I’m quite intrigued by it, the Cyrus 1 HD. I’ve heard mixed opinions on the Audiolab and on the back of this, I’m not sure if it’ll be for me…but I might aswell try that aswell if they have one down there.

I’ve not considered the used route but it’s something to consider…that creek looks plenty powerful and the price is nice. However as I’m setting up my first ‘proper’ system here, it might be nice to go for something new. I’d also have the benefit of warranty, support etc.
So going by your suggestions, I’m gonna head down to Audio T at some point and audition the Brio, Rotel and as I’m quite intrigued by it, the Cyrus 1 HD. I’ve heard mixed opinions on the Audiolab and on the back of this, I’m not sure if it’ll be for me…but I might aswell try that aswell if they have one down there.
The Creek would be my choice. I really like Marantz but the Creek is/was a ballsy amp. It has the smoothness of Arcam or Marantz but has a bit more get up and go.

precisely why I suggested it, however if the OP wants new best audition as many as he can that have the required functionality.
From what I've read and heard about B&Ws is they need a amp with clean power source, exactly like Rotel, Creek.... I would avoid entry-level Arcams, Marantz etc etc.

If going for Marantz I would consider the 8005 or other midrange models.

This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Markthemoo

manicm

Rotel every time when it comes B&W. Rotel are distributed by Bowers & Wilkins, both produced in the same factory. So they're voiced to work with each other.

B&W and Rotel produced in the same factory? If you mean in China that means nothing, and does not indicate collaboration. Remember B&W is now owned by Sound United (Denon, Marantz) etc of which Rotel is not part of.

Now the Rotel A11/12/606 S2 combo may sound good, but I suspect the 6000A will have a better grip on the B&W than the lower rung Rotel amps.

I would strongly suggest Mark persuades a dealer to trial an amp at home and decide.

B&W and Rotel produced in the same factory? If you mean in China that means nothing, and does not indicate collaboration. Remember B&W is now owned by Sound United (Denon, Marantz) etc of which Rotel is not part of.

Now the Rotel A11/12/606 S2 combo may sound good, but I suspect the 6000A will have a better grip on the B&W than the lower rung Rotel amps.

I would strongly suggest Mark persuades a dealer to trial an amp at home and decide.
Rotel are Japanese but B&W are the UK distributor for Rotel. Rotel, as I owned the RCD975 CD player, had stocks and were assembled on the south coast in Worthing, to be precise. And thus both components are voiced to work with each other.

I've heard B&W with Naim and Arcam and they didn't sound right.... lacked cohesion and with the Naim was migraine inducing. Orrible. Arcam tonally decent but needed more power.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Best thing you can do. Listen to what you can. Would be interested to hear your findings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts