What A BLURRR RAY Racket and Cambridge Audio Azur 540D V2 !!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Blu Ray profiles currently 1.0 then going onto 1.1 with the likes of The Samsung BD-P1400 and then....wait for it.....there's a final profile of 2.0. Well they say 2.0 will be final! However what about all you lot buying up current Blu Ray players that are almost immediately out of date as soon as you buy them/ Soon your Blu Rays will end up being BLUR RAY's as the technology rapidly advances to god knows what next.Seems like a racket and a complete waste of money and the more we fools respond and buy the more the manufacturers will bombard us with newer players that may not actually become the STANDARD.

Why can't they just decide on a fomat and ruddy well stick to the damn thing.

Anyway, my TV won't upscale to 1080p but will accept 720p/1080i so has any one got any views on the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D V2 in terms of picture quality. It doesn't boast Farojudia quality components like the Denon 1940 for example or the Marantz DV6001 so just how good is this machine by comparison?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And you wonder why we didn't feel ready to give an HD player a Product of the Year Award!

Re the Cambridge vs Marantz vs Denon- there is a group test of these very three players (and the Onkyo DVP-S504) in our December issue, on sale a week tomorrow...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare......and yes I can indeed appreciate why WHFSV didn't give an HD player Product of the Year award. It's an absolute minefield out there right now, with no one really willing to commit to a Standard which is also a real pity given that we already have the technology to make that decision.

Ah! the December issue.............I will be in the front of the queue for that one at my local W H Smith...need to know why so many people are making a fuss about the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D V2

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i am looking to upgrade my pioneer 626 dvd player to blu ray but want to wait for 1.1 profile.is it worth waiting.or should i not bother with blu ray? and when can we see the 1.1 in uk.

A

Anonymous

The PS3 is Profile 1.1 and is upgradeable to Profile 2.0 with a firmware upgrade. Not everyone will be interested in BD Live let alone PiP which is just a gadget. As a home cinema fan I am more concerned with picture and sound and currently BD provided the best audio quality with PCM, DTS HD MA. Picture quality is about the same.

A

Anonymous

Absolutely agree, Blu-ray IMO is a scam and deserves to die horribly for not offering backwards compatability to versions of itself. I have already suffered the £1000 player being obsolete in 12 weeks.

No such problems with HD DVD though.

LONG LIVE HD-DVD!!

Blu-ray - go and see your Betamax and Minidisc companions.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Oldskool"]
LONG LIVE HD-DVD!!

But Blu-ray will live on longer. The potential disc capacity for gaming will see to that.

[/quote][quote user="Oldskool"]Blu-ray IMO is a scam and deserves to die horribly [/quote]

Gerry! Gerry! Gerry! You are going to have to just let go. Its happened. You had a raw deal. We sympathise. But its time to move on. By the end of the year you will probably be the owner of a top notch dual standard player and popping blu-ray discs in it without a second thought.

Now go and pour yourself a large drink!

A

Anonymous

Eh? I'm confused and slightly panicing now! I recently bought a Pioneer BDP-LX70A blu-ray player. Are people saying that this may no longer work with some discs in the future??
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="03bintls"]
Eh? I'm confused and slightly panicing now! I recently bought a Pioneer BDP-LX70A blu-ray player. Are people saying that this may no longer work with some discs in the future??
emotion-7.gif

[/quote]

Take a look here to see why I am such a Baah Humbug!

http://whathifi.com/forums/p/5450/30205.aspx#30205

A

Anonymous

[quote user="david1997"]
[quote user="Oldskool"]
LONG LIVE HD-DVD!!

But Blu-ray will live on longer. The potential disc capacity for gaming will see to that.

[/quote][quote user="Oldskool"]Blu-ray IMO is a scam and deserves to die horribly [/quote]

Gerry! Gerry! Gerry! You are going to have to just let go. Its happened. You had a raw deal. We sympathise. But its time to move on. By the end of the year you will probably be the owner of a top notch dual standard player and popping blu-ray discs in it without a second thought.

Now go and pour yourself a large drink!

[/quote]

Yes, yes I know David,

Once bitten, twice shy and all that but from where I come from third time gets a little visit from "The Boys". he he.

In all seriousness though, I dont think PS3 is doing as well as expected, although I personally wouldn't mind the income from it. I think the Nintendo Wii is now the top console, certainly in current desireability. And that info is from an expert in the field. (My son aged 13!!)

And he is an expert on everything, just like most 13 year olds!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="03bintls"]
emotion-7.gif

[/quote]

As I am led to believe-Yes your player is already out of date and to think you paid £1,000 for it-My God! I don't thibk your player supports what is about to be the norm in 1.1 BD players and it may not play the Java enabled Discs to hit the market.

Like I've said many times before-We're all being sold up the river at the moment-HD isn't uniform-there's too many battles ging on at the moment. People buying big TV's tehn complaining about the standard definitiion picture quality and then upgrading to SKY HD just to watch a glut of channels in HD with more money pouring out of your pockets.

My suggestion to everyone-keep it simple and don't get brainwashed and sucked in by all the hype as there's a long way to go yet

A

Anonymous

As I have posted in a parallel discussion, we have a Samsung BD-P1400, purchased for £319 back in October. It plays all our 20 BDs perfectly.

We have loaded one firmware upgrade via DVD-RW and that worked OK too!

Maybe there are people out there who have had problems with what is still new technology (in consumer terms), but there are some drama queens on these forums who are doing more harm than good, by over-emphasising the negatives.

There would be an international outcry if all the players suffered with faults. I feel for Gerry and his experiences, but having not one but two new formats in one player, it's not really a surprise there are problems!

Who needs Profile 1.1? We purchased Rush Hour 3 on two disc UK BD. It has picture in picture - and it works on the Samsung!

Tallyho - Again, I posted on another discussion, standard DVD is still developing after nearly ten years as a mass market product (RGB, Component, Progressive scan, HDMI, Upscaling, universal disc playing etc). None of these features were standard at the end of the 1990s!

Early new format adopters will always be guinea pigs. That's a fact of life. To say that current BD players will be obselete is without foundation. Maybe there will be internet access and even more advanced PIP. Rush Hour 3 is pretty impressive!

P.S. We have never purchased a Samsung product before. Given the hysteria surrounding it's alleged reliability record, we would not have purchased the unit. However, we took the plunge and haven't regretted it!

Having mulled over the choice of formats, we firmly believe that with support from most consumer electronics firms, more studio support, significantly higher disc sales and a superior technology, only Blu-ray will survive.

I feel sorry for HD DVD supporters, but they did have a choice. Although I was neutral, I would hope that Warner Brothers will go Blu-ray exclusive to bring this war to an end ASAP. We can then look forward to a single format to go mass market.

(Wishfull thinking) Alternatively, all titles released in both formats - that's not going to happen!

A

Anonymous

"Having mulled over the choice of formats, we firmly believe that with support from most consumer electronics firms, more studio support, significantly higher disc sales and a superior technology, only Blu-ray will survive"

Not so cut and dry nifty! hd-dvd standalone players are outselling blu ray players, and in the states by quite a margin! and why is blu ray a superior technology ?????? i have both formats and dont really favour one over the otherso no axe grinding here its not that clear yet as to whats going to happen.

A

Anonymous

Warner has announced Blu Ray exclusivity. This is great news for HDM.

TRENDING THREADS