Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD now available!!

Finally, the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD universal blu-ray player is available from Richer Sounds for an attractive price of £399.95!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/cambridge-audio/650bd/camb-650bd-blk

Product information from Richer Sounds website:

As you'd expect from Blu-ray, the Azur 650BD gives stunning picture quality. Full support is given to both 10-bit and 12-bit deep colour and x.v.colour specifications. What this means is that, when combined with the HDMI 1.3c output socket, you can enjoy a picture quality that's up there with the best in its class. Rich colour reproduction, smooth motion, excellent contrast and a sense of realism mark out this Blu-ray player. With the 650BD supporting BD Live Profile 2.0 you also get access to enhanced features available via an Ethernet connection on the Internet.

That the Azur 650BD is up with the best in terms of picture quality is impressive enough, yet it's the audio quality that shoots the 650BD straight to the top of the class. Universal playback of SACD, DVD-A and HDCD discs gives the 650BD the ability to replay the highest quality disc formats that other Blu-ray players ignore. Furthermore, whatever the format used, the 650BD has some of the best audio processing circuitry available. A Pure Audio Mode combines with high quality Crystal 24/192kHz DACs to give resolution and scale of sound that's well ahead of the opposition. It doesn't matter whether you're watching an all-action movie on Blu-ray or enjoying listening to a Classical orchestra on HDCD, the 650BD offers the same effortless, dynamic sound quality that combines big punch with a smooth touch. If you appreciate sound quality as much as picture, the 650BD is simply miles ahead of the competition.

Not content with its class leading performance, the Azur 650BD is one of the most user friendly Blu-ray players. Power-up and loading times are amongst the best available. The range of sockets also tops the class. In addition to the HDMI 1.3c connection, you'll also find a 7.1 multi-channel output for use with older AV receivers that don't have Dolby and DTS HD decoding. USB sockets at both the front and rear make it easy to connect storage devices or media players. Both optical and coaxial digital outputs are provided. In terms of analogue connections, there's component, composite and even S-Video - all of which are gold-plated. Finally, an IEC 'kettle' lead makes it possible to use a higher quality mains cable should you wish.

Wrapping up this technological marvel is a brand new Azur metal casing with thick, brushed aluminium front panel and isolation resistant feet. The Azur navigator remote control is also included and offers full control of other Azur components such as the matching 650R home cinema receiver.

With the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD, Blu-ray comes of age.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Amazing really. Isn't Cambridge an English manufacturer?

It has been available in Denmark for months! It received some pretty good reviews as well
emotion-1.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:nads:isn't this another one based on the Oppo?
I think they use the same chip...

From everything I've read both companies use the Mediatek MTK8520/MTK8575 OEM chipset. Neither builds the unit from the ground up. After doing a little investigating if the CA can be modded to multi-region like the Oppo, it can but the mod and the internals are different to my BDP-83.

And also the CA doesn't use the Anchor Bay VRS chip for scaling so it would be interesting to see how it compares on that front. Obviously thanks to Oppo dropping the release of a Euro BDP-831 it probably won't be within WHF's remit to compare them.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
No, it is not the same chip, and no, this is not another Oppo clone.

It was discussed a couple of months back (I guess the thread can be re-found with some searching). A CEO from Cambrigde had some input to make it clear, that this player is developed by Cambrigde.

The Cambrigde do not use the ABT scaler chip, but the chipset and interface is from the same vendor as Oppo use, making the menu system seem similar (or identical) to the Oppo. And that is probably what has started the speculations about another clone.

A

Anonymous

hi,

very keen to get this as my current dvd player is cr*p!

can anyone advise how useful the 650bd would be as a CD player in its own right? would be really good to streamline my boxes! currently have a pioneer pdr-609 but would happily replace with the blu ray player if it truly offers a viable alternative.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts