Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD or dedicated CD player?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently use my PC to play Blu-ray (BD) and DVD. I have a Cyrus CD player. Other kit listed in signature.

As the AVR is quite old the PC currently handles audio decoding and I use the multi channel inputs on the Denon. I need to buy new software for the PC to play some newer BD discs. I have also been thinking of buying a Quad 67 CD player to replace the Cyrus as I have liked the change the Quad amps have made from Cyrus amps and hope that their CD players will also sound really good.

So I'm thinking of getting a dedicated BD player to do everything.

Would a dedicated BD player do a better job than my PC?

Would a highish end BD player like the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD do the job and be a reasonable replacement for the Cyrus? I say replacement as I would sell the Cyrus CD7Q and PSX-R to partially fund the BD player.

Instead I could just buy new software for the PC and try the Quad 67 CD player.

So, should I get an all rounder BD player to do everything or would I miss a dedicated CD player?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
A dedicated bluray player will beat a PC, no question there.. Software updates for newer films is always going to cause an issue, even for Cambridge audio. As for a player to do it all.... I would consider the Oppo 105 too, this can be your CD player and bluray player in one. The Cambridge is great and really an oppo under the hood and will do the job too, but this new Oppo is something else!

John Duncan

Personally I don't miss a dedicated CD player, though a couple of things - 1) like any player that does so many things it takes a bit longer to recognise discs than one that only plays CDs and 2) I mostly use my Stream Magic or Spotify via Airport Express for music and hardly ever plays discs, so I may just not be fussy any more.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

From what you have said and some reviews I think the 751BD might do the job.

BD players have free updates for new Blu-rays? Some PC software you have to buy a new version every 2 years!

Disc loading times are not an issue for me.

This player might kill 3 birds with one stone!

Dedicated BD player, no longer need to have my PC turned on for movies, and a change for CD audio.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Software updates are free, so don't concern yourself. As long as you have an internet connection, you can do it through the menu system. As for the frequency of updates, these happen when needed. It certainly will not be 2 years before the next update, more like 6 months at most. All depends on the company and what problems they are trying to iron out or features they are activating on your player.

Load times on the Oppo 105 are very quick, even with CD changes.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD today.

Had a quick demo in the shop first.

Only had a chance to do a few tests so far.

Blu-ray looks a bit better I think, I need to do a few more tests.

Movie audio is different, maybe better. A few more subtle bits coming through and dialogue clearer.

Not sure about CD's yet. They seem to be missing something that the Cyrus CD7Q does.

I'll be giving it a good testing Tuesday and Wednesday.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Congratualations on the purchase :) Interesting about the CD playback on the Azur. Remember if you are unhappy you can always return it and try the alternatives like the new Oppo 105 or 103 for a more direct rival. Granted that the Cambridge Audio is an Oppo underneath (as reported) but the new Oppo range is certainly something different.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I found that my751BD was better at the DAC side of things than my previous PreXpdQx , it's a great machine (as is the Oppo, which uses many CA components ;-).

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
DandyCobalt said:
(as is the Oppo, which uses many CA components ;-).

Or the other way round! ;)

Hence the pirate face smiley
smiley-wink.gif
The best upgrade from the 751 is surely the Oppo 105 !

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for your suggestion of the Oppo 105 or even 752BD.

I got the 751BD for £700.00, the Oppo is £1000.00, I didn't want to spend that much.

Maybe I'll have to!

Before trying other Blu-ray players (if I decide not to keep this one) I need to work out what is missing from CD audio. I've only used it for a couple of hours. I have the next two days off so can do some good testing.

Its weird as the Cyrus Q7 DAC was £350.00 almost 10 years ago and the 751BD has roughly the equivalent of a £350.00 modern DAC in it (not quite the same as a separate DAC but similar).

The 751BD presentation is cleaner whereas the CD7Q seemed slightly muddled at times but projected the music more. Difficult to describe in writing!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I did some testing yesterday and have given it a good testing today for CD's and a bit for movies.

The bass seems lacking in comparison to the CD7Q, although the bass could be a bit overblown at times with the CD7Q.

Detail and clarity are much better but it seems to be missing something. Its not as forward which is a good thing for some music but it is less engaging, almost too safe.

Do you think any of the audio 'issues' will iron out over more time or should it be at its best straight out of the box? I know some Hi-Fi equipment,especially speakers, can change a bit over time and I have experienced that, but not too sure about things like amps/CD players.

On a seperate note, I have a ground loop on the front speakers when using the front pre outs from my Denon 3801 AVR. Its not very loud but is a bit annoying! It increases with more volume on the Quad 44. Other inputs on the Quad 44 including from the dedicated stereo outs from the 751BD work fine with no hum. That's going to be fun to fix (NOT!)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There certainly is a run in period for speakers with the cones softening over time and sounding better. The same applies to electronics, like AV receivers, TV's etc and even speaker wire. You could keep it and see if it sounds better over time. The chances are your ears will adjust to it and you may think it sounds better.

This argument about burn in time has been a frequent porblem. if you want my advice I would go and demo an already settled unit (burnt in), say the one in the shop and compare it. This way you will be fully satisfied that it either does sound better, or there is no change according to your ears.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Good idea to go listen to a well used one, except where I got it from they only had the one that I bought, it was new. I would have to go to Leicester, if they have one.

I have 7 days to return it for a refund. The thing is, what would I replace it with? The Oppo 105 looks good after having read its specs & from what others have said. Is it as good with the 7.1 analogue outputs? Is the bass better from the dedicated stereo outputs? How good is the dedicated stereo out in general? The 751BD is so almost there...

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You could also consider a good "budget" BD and a separate DAC. You could even start of with something like Sony BDP-S390 which would give you an ok budget for finding a suitable DAC.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would say the 105 is an improvement, it certainly is the one to beat for me. If I had the budget I would buy it already. I have not heard anything to sound so good and replace a CD player. Remember when you are going up to this bracket, you are not only evaluating the BD perfomance, (that is a given with the Oppo and superb so you can tick that off), but you are judging its CD playback and is ability to beat dedicated players and other BD players. The 105 has a Sabre reference audio DAC, it is more than capable of satisfying any of your Musical needs.

Have a read :)

http://oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/oppo-bdp-105eu.aspx

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Interesting suggestion Exoticsounds, I have considered a more budget player but then would also need to replace my AVR. Maybe that would be a good idea as its about 10 years old now but it was a good amp in its day. Although technology has moved on I think I would still have to spend a lot to replace it properly, although its only powering a centre and two rear speakers. The fronts run off of my Quads.

I am considering the Oppo 105. duaplex, have you done any direct comparisons of the stereo RCA outputs of the 751BD and Oppo 105? Did you notice any bass issues? As I have a 1360x768 native resolution TV some of the extra features of the Oppo 105 will be wasted. I don't plan on replacing my TV until it breaks. When that happens I will only replace it with a 1080P screen

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No Bass issues with the 103 or 105 that I tested. I have had a play with the CA, very good machine and at the time a leader in its price bracket for sure and probably better than most machines of a higher price.

I would be more inclined to compare the 103 to the CA. the 105 is another step up. It will save you £500. Give them both a demo :) Don't be surprised when the 105 sounds even better though ;)

Give David at Hifix a call, he recently took home the 103 and was impressed by its CD playback, by now he will have both machines and will be able to advise you more from his experience.

An external DAC is a good idea, but you will be spending roughly the same amount of money to achieve a similar result.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Have a read of peoples opinions :)

intereting how the cons list bass as being overbearing

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-azur-751bd

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Read all the user opinions.

Overbearing bass? Maybe that's what I'm experiencing? Uncontrolled bass?

The Oppo 103 doesn't have dedicated stereo outputs so it would have to be the 105 if I decide not to keep the 751BD. Now I've heard what newer players can do I will be selling my CD7Q, just a question of what player to get (or keep this one!). The CD7Q is a fantastic player just not for me any more. I've got a few days left to decide, just need to check Richer Sounds 7 day return policy – bought in on Sunday, could I take it back Sunday?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can, but to be safe call them and tell them about it. Once they have been informed it does not matter if you bring it back on Monday even, this was the case when i returned my TV.

I just went and had another demo of the 751BD and the Bass sounded ok to me, but I think you are going to be more pleased with the presentation of the 105, for me the 751 sounded more lke the old Oppo 95 (and rightfully so). However this was not the only reason I went.... I tested the S790, BDT500 and CA for bluray playback.

The BDT500 and CA where very close in thier presentation of bluray, the finer detail really came through on the CA, when watching Transformers, the CGI looked very good, the dust scenes and the detail on the transformers really popped. Between that and the BDT500 there is a wafer of difference. I could hardly tell the difference, until i replayed the scene twice over on each.

The Sony S790 - not in the same league, the detail was lacking and it looked blurry when handling motion, I also noticed far more motion judder than the other two.

Just wanted to share this with you :)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to call Richer Sounds tomorrow & let them know I might take it back.

I want to like the 751 but something does not feel (sound) right and I think I will always have a nagging feeling if I keep it. I will give it one more go tomorrow and if I can't live with it I'll box it back up ready for Sunday.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was in a similar position with my TV last week. I purchased the Samsung UE55ES8000 and It bugged me that I didn't go for the Panasonic that I have now. So naturally i returned it and I am so glad I did. ironically that was Richersounds too :)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've called Richer Sounds. They say that Sunday would be OK.

The sales adviser said that there would be a 15.00% handling fee although the one who sold it to me on Sunday said that they might be able to waive the fee.

I can understand why they charge a fee as they don't really have to refund anyway as int snot faulty but £105.00 plus about £20.00 fuel is a lot to loose.

You live, you learn!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts