Wharfedale Elysian 2

AJM1981

-edit-
The Elysian 2 is according to reviews a great high end speaker for a reasonable price of 5000 euro's. This is excluding the special stands it needs.

I currently own the Evo 4.2 which are sortable in the high end range in terms of quality and design and I will probably keep these for a lifetime for my main set.

It is not so much the pricetag of the Elysian but the size that places them on my list of maybe once / maybe never since I like speakers that can be carried around easily and the evo's for me are right by that definition. Just the thought of the scenario of having fire or an flooded living and being able to get valuable stuff out quick maybe. ;)

Nevertheless, the Elysians are mentioned to be great in terms of sound and design. Wonder who owns them here :)

Attachments

• image_preview.jpg
    image_preview.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

AJM1981

Have you heard both them and a god chunk of the competition?

That would be a suitable question if I would have claimed that they are in my personal opinion better or best and that is something I haven't mentioned, it would also be rather subjective as comparing many sports cars. It could well be that they are not the best. But our definitions of what are great speakers probably differ on taste.

Instead I made the claim that they are great and ranged in the high end segment which is based on verifiable (and even so biased) reviews . Same to the Evo 4.2's.

I can sense you might have some valuable personal additions. Please share your experience. :)

Last edited:

AJM1981

I have none, so won't claim that they are extraordinarily great. Seems to me that you need some considerable first hand experience to make such a claim! :)

The OP goes some way beyond saying that the reviews have been good imho.

Fair enough.

Let me change that part for the review if it bothers some, since finding experiences is the goal.

And off course I would not buy a speaker this size without listening to it myself by the time I am thinking about changing. Unfortunately there are 0 dealers really nearby and they can't be planted. So by the time I would consider them seriously, which I doubt I would for the reason mentioned. I would travel at least to a dealer somewhere for an afternoon.

Last edited:
The flagship 4 models were reviewed here three months ago. To get five stars with a price tag that high suggests excellent performance, and the large room requirement isn’t a surprise. Arguably the finish is reminiscent of brands like Sonus faber from their even costlier Olympica Nova series. In the price range, I’m less sure of the benefit of the stand mount models as they occupy a similar footprint are aren’t much cheaper when dedicated stands are included. And handling them can be trickier compared with a floorstander.

Reactions: AJM1981 and Al ears

AJM1981

The flagship 4 models were reviewed here three months ago. To get five stars with a price tag that high suggests excellent performance, and the large room requirement isn’t a surprise. Arguably the finish is reminiscent of brands like Sonus faber from their even costlier Olympica Nova series. In the price range, I’m less sure of the benefit of the stand mount models as they occupy a similar footprint are aren’t much cheaper when dedicated stands are included. And handling them can be trickier compared with a floorstander.

Fun fact: getting just the Elysian 2 is not even an option as they require their own stands. As there are no alternatives so far, a consumer needs the stands as part of the deal and it adds to the price in almost 100% of the time.

Also some webshops seem to have trouble with their size in terms or delivery. In that there are cases of a single speaker delivery that needs to be sent back in order to proceed.. would be a hell with this format..stay away from those shops :)

I know that a larger well made cabinet makes speakers sound like having a much easier job. But for the volume levels I use at the Evo 4.2 they might be heavily overkill.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts