Welcome to the new AVI forum

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
What the hell's this thread all about eh??. Something and nothing. I come on here to try and answer questions relating to kit that members ask but, and i'm going to be brutal here, If this pettiness doesn't stop I'll be leaving the forum.

It's really depressing to go to the main index page and see one of these 'threads' coming about. You sort of know what's going to come next and yes. I agree with recordspot about toning down the attitude.

If we were to try this sort of behaviour in a bar or club we'd get our collars felt.

100% Agree!

Richard Allen said:
I reckon that when a thread like this starts up, DON'T POST!!. Then it'll disappear as quickly as it started.

100% Disagree - I don't think we should have to ignore these threads. I believe that good moderation should delete these kind of threads.

When I read a thread like this, aimed solely at attacking another member (abeit a mod), it merely tells me that WHF forums are a place where you can attack members as you please. it tells me that if some forum member disagrees with something I've done or said, chances are that he will be free to abuse me on the site, and the mods won't intervene.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
100% Disagree - I don't think we should have to ignore these threads. I believe that good moderation should delete these kind of threads.

When I read a thread like this, aimed solely at attacking another member (abeit a mod), it merely tells me that WHF forums are a place where you can attack members as you please. it tells me that if some forum member disagrees with something I've done or said, chances are that he will be free to abuse me on the site, and the mods won't intervene.

I was surprised that this didn't get deleted because most forums don't allow discussion of moderation/moderators, but I guess that by deleting the thread the OP's paranoiai/belief that the moderator takes sides would be reinforced. I've found John Duncan to be extremely even handed in his moderation, and from my perspective he always tries to keep his intervention minimal, and allowing this thread to run seems to be another example of this.

J

jcbrum

ID. said:
. . . he always tries to keep his intervention minimal, and allowing this thread to run seems to be another example of this.

Or, is lending his silent, tacit, agreement to the development of the 'AVI haters' (as described by The_Lhc, on the measurements thread) faction.

While tacit knowledge appears to be simple, it has far reaching consequences.

Perhaps, to paraphrase John LeCarre, we should call them 'Spiny's people' . . . 'There were three of them, and Duncan' . . .

;)

JC

J

jcbrum

Seriously though, on the whole, I prefer ID's interpretation. Good luck with the op, JD, and I hope you get to try out the DM5s on Friday.

JD

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
I think...freedom of speech is one thing, but freedom to abuse? I don't really know the issues, and in some respects I don't care, but maybe it's time the mods took a more active line when it comes to abuse?

I think freedom of speech is paramount. And the freedom to be offended is (for me anyway) part of that. I don't like PC

Personally I would happily take a beer with almost anyone I have argued with online, including Lemon. In the end nobody can see your body-language, things are taken in the wrong context and misunderstandings are hard to avoid.

If you take disagreements on a Hifi forum to heart mind you, it's possible a break is in order?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Right. That's it!!.

This stupid thread has gone on long enough and people on here wonder why manufacturers, PR guys and distributors don't get involved on the forums. This thread should have been locked a long time ago in my opinion because it is counter productive. It isn't about HiFi, It's character assasination so what the hell's it doing on here??.

Until this situation changes ( sometime never ) there will be no more input from me. I admire John Duncan for taking it on the chin but think he's a fool in this case.

Sorry guys. 20+ years of experience at your disposal, not promoting my own brands since I have recommended many other good pieces of kit in the past but until the trolls are sorted, I'm outta here. You all take care. :wave:

Richard Allen said:
Right. That's it!!.

This stupid thread has gone on long enough and people on here wonder why manufacturers, PR guys and distributors don't get involved on the forums. This thread should have been locked a long time ago in my opinion because it is counter productive. It isn't about HiFi, It's character assasination so what the hell's it doing on here??.

Until this situation changes ( sometime never ) there will be no more input from me. I admire John Duncan for taking it on the chin but think he's a fool in this case.

Sorry guys. 20+ years of experience at your disposal, not promoting my own brands since I have recommended many other good pieces of kit in the past but until the trolls are sorted, I'm outta here. You all take care. :wave:

They are the minority, though. Agree it's a ridiculous thread but the OP has gone AWOL.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Richard Allen said:
Right. That's it!!.

They are the minority, though. Agree it's a ridiculous thread but the OP has gone AWOL.

That's not really the point, the thread should have been locked and AL banned at the FIRST insult, not 60 posts later.

I'm with Richard, I know people used to complain about the somewhat draconian moderation in the old days but it's gone too far the other way now, the only thing I really didn't agree with before was the ban on discussing moderation as it gave you no right to reply when a mistake was made, other than that I preferred it when everyone knew what they could and couldn't get away with, now it seems you can get away with anything, so I'm going to head over to that BBC petition thread and let simonlewis know exactly what I think of him...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Seem to remember he did this a couple of years ago, when WHFI changed their mod policy. He stormed off saying it was tantamount to spying/espionage etc etc. (something on those lines).

RobinKidderminster said:
Not much happening here this month

But... but... but... a WHF moderator is in interested in buying some AVI speakers and is going to borrow a pair from an AVI forum member to have a listen.

That's worse than Barack Obama lending Kim Jong-un some nuclear warheads for the weekend to see if he likes them.

J

jcbrum

Hmmm, I'm with fr0g on this one. The consequences of censorship are far worse than the consequences of free speech. - JC

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Right. That's it!!.

+1

Richard Allen said:

Sorry to see you go. You posts were always interesting to read. :(

J

jcbrum

steve_1979 said:
fr0g said:
I don't like PC

Would you mind if I quote this out of context in the next PC vs Apple thread? :poke: ;)

HaHa, like it
smiley-laughing.gif

JC

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Hmmm, I'm with fr0g on this one. The consequences of censorship are far worse than the consequences of free speech. - JC

I'd prefer a happy medium.

The freedom to discuss hifi topics without any moderation is a good thing and needs to be kept the way it is. But having a censorship on any personal attacks and insults is also needed too IMO.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Yes, we've taken a lighter touch to moderation than in the past and let people argue among themselves without constantly resorting to locking threads (which only encourages those involved to start another one). We could re-introduce more draconian measures, but that often causes as many problems as it solves.

TRENDING THREADS