We would usually recommend spending more on the CD than the amp or speakers. Is this good advice?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's good to get new members, and I would encourage you to stay and contribute, thre's almost certainly something you can contribute to the site which makes it a better place, and perhaps lots of things you can learn from us, but that said, you've barely been a member 9 hours and you don't so far seem to have been very complimentary, so remember if you don't like what you see it's you're absolute right to f'k right off and we'll be no worse off as a community than we were ten hours ago before you joined.

But personally I'd encourage you to stay. Just maybe slacken the 'tude. Thanks.

S

SemiChronic

Fubar, like you i also say things as i see them, and if that doesnt compliment the 'professors' then so be it.

Blacksabbath25

Vladimir said:
SemiChronic said:
What Trolls? also springs to mind.

First on the list of suspects would be new members with big questions and small temper. ;)
I got to say that Vladimir has help me on here and I thank him for that but we all need to get on as life is to short to full out with one another there is to much personal comments thrown at each other I have had it done to me and it's not good but all this will do is put off new members why wast your time on a topic that no ones going to agree on its only Hifi not the end of the world do not act like kids in a play ground be kind to each other and let's get on with each other

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
Fubar, like you i also say things as i see them, and if that doesnt compliment the 'professors' then so be it.

I am probably not the greatest role model. I know a lot about certain things and I tell it like it is when people come out with what I know is misleading information. But there's an awful lot I don't know yet, and there's an awful lot I've learned from people on here. Always remember thre's real people on the other end of the keyboard, which is easy for me to say because I'm often the first to fly off on one. But it's true.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Ok look at it logicaly let's say I have a 250quid HTC 1 mobile phone connected via 3mm Jack to my amp as my source.

The sound quality to my speakers is not great - so I upgrade my speakers.....What sort of improvement will I get? Say I upgrade my amp, any better?But say I upgrade my source to a 500quid used audiolab cd8200 off eBay......... And play CD's?Curious to see if the penny drops.

You've perhaps quite rightly opened a loophole, because in my scenario I didn't explicitly quote the assumption that my hypothetical £250 CDP/amp/speakers are at the top of their game for their price. Having added that clarity, feel free to have a think if that changes your answer.

It makes no difference that still stands......

Eg Marantz cd6005+pm6005+maBronze.

Audiolab cd8200 will still bring the 'best' improvement

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
[url="http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm" said:
http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm[/url]

Er, No thanks.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/proaudio/behringer-a500.html

What do you expect? It's better, more powerful, less distorted etc than that valve thing you own. In any case it sounded just as good as the expensive amp in the test.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I love LOVE his thread. It's been years since I read it and I'm sucked in reading it again. David and Gazzip you should read it. Out of the bunch I think you will eventually enlighten yourself and join the rational and pro science side. There is a term for when someone needs to shake off injected fake belief sistems through religion, marketing, ideology or any other indictrination. Deprogramming.
I dont use reviews or marketing to fuel my views - they are arrived at by using my ears. Just because they don't tally with your own, it doesn't mean I'm going to eventually come round to your way of thinking. Changing my way of thinking will take real world listening sessions and experience.

S

SemiChronic

I would probably be looking at a second hand stream magic 6, upsampling, great connectivity, and money left over for cables.

I shall put the flames out later . .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Vladimir said:
I love LOVE his thread. It's been years since I read it and I'm sucked in reading it again. David and Gazzip you should read it. Out of the bunch I think you will eventually enlighten yourself and join the rational and pro science side. There is a term for when someone needs to shake off injected fake belief sistems through religion, marketing, ideology or any other indictrination. Deprogramming.
I dont use reviews or marketing to fuel my views - they are arrived at by using my ears. Just because they don't tally with your own, it doesn't mean I'm going to eventually come round to your way of thinking. Changing my way of thinking will take real world listening sessions and experience.

Deprogram now!

Sorry Steve. You were saying? :D

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that every time a full moon falls on a weekend this forum goes a bit crazy. This one seems to have been worse than usual. The lack of mods doesn't help matters either.

It's all too easy to get carried away and speak (type) without considering how it comes across to other members here. I include myself in this too as I've posted a couple of things this weekend that I rather I hadn't. Let's all just chill out and try to be a bit more friendly to each other. There's nothing wrong with saying what you've got to say but it would be more pleasant for everyone involved if we try to say it if a more friendly and less childish manner than we have been.

Have a good week everyone. *drinks*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

I did consider using that system as a base to work from, but the CD and amp are officially around the £400 mark, although the going rate is around £300. I was sticking to new equipment at rrp.

The reason I chose the amplifier in this case is that any CD player that will make a worthwhile improvement over the 6005 would be over the £500 limit (£550-600) in my opinion, so I decided to go with the amplifier instead (maybe something like a Rotel RA11), which would would drive the (presumably) Bronze 2 speakers much better, giving a tighter performance and a worthwhile difference.

If instead we changed the Bronze 2 for Bronze 5, I don't feel there would be a worthwhile change, as the quality of the electronics hasn't changed in any way. If you change for another manufacturer's speakers, you're just putting a different spin on the end result, but again, there has been no increase in quality of the signal entering the speaker.

I've heard £200 speakers in the past (equivalents to the Bronze 2) sound pretty amazing on an amplifier that was around the £2000 mark, and sounding way better than they really ought to for their price. Quality in.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Thompsonuxb said:

I did consider using that system as a base to work from, but the CD and amp are officially around the £400 mark, although the going rate is around £300. I was sticking to new equipment at rrp.?

The reason I chose the amplifier in this case is that any CD player that will make a worthwhile improvement over the 6005 would be over the £500 limit (£550-600) in my opinion, so I decided to go with the amplifier instead (maybe something like a Rotel RA11), which would would drive the (presumably) Bronze 2 speakers much better, giving a tighter performance and a worthwhile difference.

If instead we changed the Bronze 2 for Bronze 5, I don't feel there would be a worthwhile change, as the quality of the electronics hasn't changed in any way. If you change for another manufacturer's speakers, you're just putting a different spin on the end result, but again, there has been no increase in quality of the signal entering the speaker.

I've heard £200 speakers in the past (equivalents to the Bronze 2) sound pretty amazing on an amplifier that was around the £2000 mark, and sounding way better than they really ought to for their price. Quality in.

Real world a good 250quid amp will drive a 250quid pair of speakers fine.

The improvement in detail from a better source will be notable.

These systems are more limited by their source than the amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
[url="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/12752-blind-listening-tests-amplifiers.html" said:
Deprogram now![/url]
Sorry, no one has programmed me.

I find the scenario presented in that link pretty hard to believe.

It's a wonderful read nevertheless. Give it a try.

[/quote]I don't think I really need to go any further than the initial post.

K

keeper of the quays

SemiChronic said:
If amp and speakers was out of the question, id rather throw the money at cables(had good improvements from cable swaps)
im with you..cables make big difference..ssshhh you didnt hear me say that.im whispering! In case those boffins start getting unctious...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
[url="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/12752-blind-listening-tests-amplifiers.html" said:
Deprogram now![/url]
Sorry, no one has programmed me.?

[/quote]

It's a bad joke....

How much did they have to compromise the better amps to compensate for the weak one.

Imagine it 'turn it down a bit....a bit more...a little bit more....just a smidgen more......'

A ridiculous and pointless exercise.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Vladimir said:
Deprogram now![/url]
Sorry, no one has programmed me.

I don't think I really need to go any further than the initial post.

[/quote]

Awww... :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Deprogram now![/url]

i read the first page and it didn't say anything about the digital source not being the heart of th whole system and that we shouldn't spend the most on the CD player and interconnects. It's over 100 pages. I'm not reading the whole thing, so I'm forced to believe that Thompson is right again thanks to Vlad's evidence.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
Vladimir said:
Deprogram now![/url]

i read the first page and it didn't say anything about the digital source not being the heart of th whole system and that we shouldn't spend the most on the CD player and interconnects. It's over 100 pages. I'm not reading the whole thing, so I'm forced to believe that Thompson is right again thanks to Vlad's evidence.

Nevermind that. Thompson is always right.

It's interesting to read NwAvGuy's early internet posts. He disappeared from DIYaudio after that thread.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
**** thread this has turned out to be. I find personal attacks very distasteful, and very unbecoming of so-called adults.

As for the subject matter, I pretty much agree with the Major. I think differences between CDP's are going to be quite subtle, compared to the differences between speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts