We would usually recommend spending more on the CD than the amp or speakers. Is this good advice?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:
Let's say you have a £250 CD player, £250 amp and £250 speakers. They work just great, but one day you find yourself with £500 spare and you decide you're going to upgrade ONE component out the three and blow the full £500 on a new CDP, amp or speakers. The aim of the upgrade is to give the biggest improvement in sound quality for the money. Which do you choose? I accept the caveat that doubling the price of any of the three is potentially creating an imbalance, in so far as the remaining two components are perhaps not realising the full potential of the component you've just upgraded. But none the less...which one?
Depends on the capabilities of each of those three components, and what aspect/aspects of the system the individual is looking to improve. I'd also go as far to say that my choice would depend on the intended listening level, size of the room, as well as a few other aspects. What I would improve in this system won't necessarily be the same for a system using £1000 or £2000 components, but I'd be tempted to change the amplifier.

As always, the most blatant difference many will hear will be when changing speakers.

Eh? A transparent, very low distortion high powered amplifier can be bought for around £200. Speakers that match it performance wise would cost more than a house if there were such things.

matt49 said:
MajorFubar said:
Let's say you have a £250 CD player, £250 amp and £250 speakers. They work just great, but one day you find yourself with £500 spare and you decide you're going to upgrade ONE component out the three and blow the full £500 on a new CDP, amp or speakers. The aim of the upgrade is to give the biggest improvement in sound quality for the money. Which do you choose? I accept the caveat that doubling the price of any of the three is potentially creating an imbalance, in so far as the remaining two components are perhaps not realising the full potential of the component you've just upgraded. But none the less...which one?

I wouldn't be able to decide, so I'd start a thread here, asking the question, and I'd wait to see all the friendly and even-tempered answers pour in. *shok*

I wouldn't bother starting a thread and make up my own mind. :)

TrevC

Al ears said:
matt49 said:
MajorFubar said:

I wouldn't be able to decide, so I'd start a thread here, asking the question, and I'd wait to see all the friendly and even-tempered answers pour in. *shok*

I wouldn't bother starting a thread and make up my own mind. :)

The answer is speakers. Obvious really. :O)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:
Depends on the capabilities of each of those three components, and what aspect/aspects of the system the individual is looking to improve. I'd also go as far to say that my choice would depend on the intended listening level, size of the room, as well as a few other aspects. What I would improve in this system won't necessarily be the same for a system using £1000 or £2000 components, but I'd be tempted to change the amplifier.

As always, the most blatant difference many will hear will be when changing speakers.

Eh? A transparent, very low distortion high powered amplifier can be bought for around £200. Speakers that match it performance wise would cost more than a house if there were such things.

Interesting....

Name one. - Preferably your preference.

S

SemiChronic

Lol@the tweeters, i think its the same in all branches. Scratched up seperates daubed in sticky fingerprints, a plethora of senior sales assistants(never seen a junior) And everytime ive ive asked for a demo they've **** themselves.

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:

Interesting....

There are too many to choose from. The Yamahas look good value.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:

Interesting....

So name one...

TrevC

Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
Infiniteloop said:
TrevC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:

Interesting....

So name one...

How about the Behringer A500? £60 change from £200 on Amazon.

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok.....so the thread roles on..

My answer would be the source. (you may have read me earlier in this thread ref my CDplayer history)

The reasoning being if knowing the limits of this 3x250 quid system there would be no reason to upgrade the speakers or amp seeing I'd just get more of the same maybe louder in terms of sound quality I'd be forever swapping speakers and amp. (rubbish in rubbish out)......I'd never be happy.

If an upgrade of the source got me improvements i.e a cleaner, more detailed and separated sound then I'd know the following upgrades of amp and speakers would improve my music also.

I hope you guys are not saying speakers and amp just because I made it clear in this thread I think the source is the most important link in the hifi chain...... ;-)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I hope you guys are not saying speakers and amp just because I made it clear in this thread I think the source is the most important link in the hifi chain...... ;-)

No, I really don't think people's thought process is: "what does Thompsonuxb think? I must disagree with him at all costs."

Though it's charming of you to suggest that we might all be thinking about you all the time.

S

SemiChronic

If amp and speakers was out of the question, id rather throw the money at cables(had good improvements from cable swaps)

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:

My answer would be the source. (you may have read me earlier in this thread ref my CDplayer history)

The reasoning being if knowing the limits of this 3x250 quid system there would be no reason to upgrade the speakers or amp seeing I'd just get more of the same maybe louder in terms of sound quality I'd be forever swapping speakers and amp. (rubbish in rubbish out)......I'd never be happy.

If an upgrade of the source got me improvements i.e a cleaner, more detailed and separated sound then I'd know the following upgrades of amp and speakers would improve my music also.

The source is also important, but not as important as the speakers.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Dr

No, it's because it's the right answer. 

TrevC.....it's been awhile..... :)

Ok look at it logicaly let's say I have a 250quid HTC 1 mobile phone connected via 3mm Jack to my amp as my source.

The sound quality to my speakers is not great - so I upgrade my speakers.....

What sort of improvement will I get?

Say I upgrade my amp, any better?

But say I upgrade my source to a 500quid used audiolab cd8200 off eBay......... And play CD's?

Curious to see if the penny drops.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

No, I really don't think people's thought process is: "what does Thompsonuxb think? I must disagree with him at all costs."

Though it's charming of you to suggest that we might all be thinking about you all the time.

You think?

Watch this.....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Some may recognize the OP in this
thread
. (hint: he didn't get along well with the merchants at head-fi)

I love LOVE his thread. It's been years since I read it and I'm sucked in reading it again.
David and Gazzip you should read it. Out of the bunch I think you will eventually enlighten yourself and join the rational and pro science side.
There is a term for when someone needs to shake off injected fake belief sistems through religion, marketing, ideology or any other indictrination. Deprogramming.

S

SemiChronic

Thankyou TrevC, as you are the leading authority on all things audio, i have no choice but to heed your advice.

Looking at the forum, seems there is little to do with audio or helping fellow music lovers with improving thier experiences. This place is simply a platform for ignorant pratts quick on the draw to google specs, and turn thier nose up at anything below or not within thier budget.

No way would any of you behave this way towards eachother r/t.

What Hifi? . . What Arseholes?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Ok look at it logicaly let's say I have a 250quid HTC 1 mobile phone connected via 3mm Jack to my amp as my source.

The sound quality to my speakers is not great - so I upgrade my speakers.....What sort of improvement will I get? Say I upgrade my amp, any better?But say I upgrade my source to a 500quid used audiolab cd8200 off eBay......... And play CD's?Curious to see if the penny drops.

You've perhaps quite rightly opened a loophole, because in my scenario I didn't explicitly quote the assumption that my hypothetical £250 CDP/amp/speakers are at the top of their game for their price. Having added that clarity, feel free to have a think if that changes your answer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts