WD My Book Live no files appearing

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm trying to install a Western Digital My Book Live 2TB to use as a music NAS with a Stream Magic 6. I have the SM6 working perfectly with my iTunes library from my laptop using Twonky 7, however the WD comes with an apparently ancient (2009) version of Twonky Media with a chronic interface (unlike Twonky 7 which is relatively straightforward) which also malfunctions, overlaying text and with broken links.

Does anyone's have any tips for how to get this working with the SM6? When the SM6 searches for 'Media' it comes up with the PC Library, a further Twonky server for sharing...something and the My Book - but the My Book is empty, apparently containing no files despite having a precise mirror of the iTunes library on there.

any help greatly welcomed.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was can the laptop view them when served via Twonky.? Not just mounted as a share.

on the NAS I assume the music files are in the Shared Music folder?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
But then I would have to have my laptop on all the time surely? WD have replied to my email and told me to reset the unit, I'll try this tomorrow

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Some progress. Exchanged the MyBook for another today at Currys, now it's working HOORAY!

...the only issue now seems to be that some tracks have lost their artist metadata and compilations are now listed as 'various' (all tracks) whereas on the PC they all worked perfectly displaying the artist on the StreamMagic. Once again, any tips please?

PaulEast

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could help but I have a similar problem which Western Digital cannot/will not sort. I use a Western Digital MyBook Live and a Cyrus Streamline and for about 18 months I could create playlists on my PC and play them on the Streamline. Then it stopped. My reading of the situation is that there is some kind of stand-off between WD and Twonky which just penalises the customers - us! I'm 99% sure that updates to the MyBook Live are incompatible with the only version of Twonky that WD will supply. There is much pretence of getting you to reinstall, rebuild indices etc but none of it makes any difference. Rumour has it that Twonky version 7 "works" in this respect, but owners of a MyBook Live have no contractual relationship with Twonky and no guarantee that, if they bought Twonky 7 direct, it would work.

So, as I put it to WD, I now have a £1400 streamer which sounds terrific but has less functionality that a cheap MP3 player when it comes to playlists.

Ain't technology grand!

TRENDING THREADS