album/artist and single/artist folder structures

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Can anyone help me with this nas conundrum.

i have a western digital my book live using twonky media server. It has all the usual sub folders like Album/artist, album, artist, genre, track etc. Also a designated sub folder for storing compilations that comes up as ‘various’ when you browse album / artist. Through my cyrus streamer the twonky folder structure obviously shows the same.

a big bugbear for me is when I buy a track I like online and it’s effectively a single, but obviously it has an album name from which it comes as well as artist name etc, but when I don’t listen to that track that often(as I tend to listen to albums more) it fills up my library with lots of ‘albums’ that I don’t know what the hell they are, when say browsing albums. They are spurious album titles.

so what I’d really like is to have all the sub folders under albums and singles, or like a compilations folder, all the singles into it whose album names don’t show up in the album list or album/artist list but maybe a seperate sub folder in single/artist. Or alternatively as I say above, a seperate folder structure for each albums and artists, but maybe that wouldn’t be as good as single / artist, but if I wanted to browse all artists they would be in the artists folder no matter singles or albums. Ideally I’d want a nas with a media server where I could tailor the folder structures, but does anyone know if you can get these or what I can do to achieve. I always hate browsing through iPods for these spurious artists, as when you have over a thousand albums it becomes a faff to wade through it all.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
was recommended by Andrew Everard on one of his blogs, runs on synology, pic or mac. You can choose how you want the meta data ordered and then set it running so if you wanted year/artist/album but wanted artist/year/album it will create the folder structures and move the files on the nas. You can also rewrite the meta data on the albums or single tracks if needed.

might not be what you're after but there is a free trial with a limited number of fixes. Also he's changing the pricing structure so g else to consider.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts