Warming up your amplifier...

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Does 'warming up' your amplifier by having it swtiched on for a period of time prior to playing any music improve the sound? I am convinced that if I let my Arcam A-18 warm up for half an hour or more at normal listening volume then the sound is somehow fuller and more 'forward' with more bass weight and better definition. Things have almost got to the point where I am reluctant to just switch on and start playing!

Am I imagining things or does a warmed up amp just sound a tad better?

unhalfbricking said:
Does 'warming up' your amplifier by having it swtiched on for a period of time prior to playing any music improve the sound? I am convinced that if I let my Arcam A-18 warm up for half an hour or more at normal listening volume then the sound is somehow fuller and more 'forward' with more bass weight and better definition. Things have almost got to the point where I am reluctant to just switch on and start playing!

Am I imagining things or does a warmed up amp just sound a tad better?

It does with my amp but this has valves in. I would like to think it wouldn't with a solid state amp but whatever works for you.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The amp warms up for few minutes and you warm up for few minutes more. It's thermal, mental, ritual. If that's how you listen, there's no shame about it.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I am a convert to warming things up. The first cd on always sounds a bit different. To me, the bass gains weight and definition after 30 minutes or so.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The electrical characteristics of some components can change as they come up to temperature, and they'll only be operating within their quoted tolerences after that has happened. For example when you're checking an amp's DC offset, just about every service-manual I've ever read tells you to wait for the amp to warm up (commonly 10-30mins) before taking readings from the speaker terminals / test-points and making adjustments, otherwise you risk taking the wrong readings and adjusting it incorrectly. Whether the difference after the warm-up is audible is a moot point.

Note this is completely different to the concept of 'burn in', where some people believe modern electronics (and even cables...) somehow only come on song after they've been ran-in for a few hundred hours or so.

The difference is that the former is a an explainable and measurable artifact linked to how the tolerances and performance of some components is affected as they warm up, while the latter is complete voodoo nonsense.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Some amplifiers increase distortion the warmer they get.

Others have more distortion for the first watt or so then decreasing only to increase again at high frequencies.

Unless you warm up your amplification at the same volume as you listen to it when you think it is warm you won't have any idea on what, if anything, is changing.

Make of that what you will ... :)

I tend to let it run for a few minutes with very quiet background music before listening a little louder (still at low volumes which I prefer) so basically I have no idea why.

Still, it makes me feel better.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The electrical characteristics of some components can change as they come up to temperature, and they'll only be operating within their quoted tolerences after that has happened. For example when you're checking an amp's DC offset, just about every service-manual I've ever read tells you to wait for the amp to warm up (commonly 10-30mins) before taking readings from the speaker terminals / test-points and making adjustments, otherwise you risk taking the wrong readings and adjusting it incorrectly. Whether the difference after the warm-up is audible is a moot point.

Note this is completely different to the concept of 'burn in', where some people believe modern electronics (and even cables...) somehow only come on song after they've been ran-in for a few hundred hours or so.

The difference is that the former is a an explainable and measurable artifact linked to how the tolerances and performance of some components is affected as they warm up, while the latter is complete voodoo nonsense.

Just about every trade approved scale from the late 70's to early 90's had a 600 second lock out from power up to use for this reason.

James

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally I'm of the opinion that the sound does change after half an hour or so of 'warming up'. The sound seems to mellow becoming fuller and the soundstage wider compared to a slightly thin and cold sound when initially turned on.

I cannot back this up with any kind of scientific reasoning though *smile*

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I think warm up can affect the sound. As mentioned by Major above, electrical tolerances can be and sometimes are affected by temperature, this is fact.

In my 23 years of being an enthusiast of Hi Fi, I've found some kit I've owned to be very much affected by warm up and some kit not so much.

An old Pioneer A-110 I used to own sounded like two different amplifiers if compared from cold to warm (it was on it's last legs). The 2 NAD amplifiers I currently own don't seem to be affected by temperature much at all. My Sony CDP-XB930 CD Player sounds a bit richer and smoother when warm.

If your system sounds better when warm then that's fine, but don't get stuck in a rut of over analysing the sound and loosing enjoyment until it's been switched on for 5 hours or even leaving it switched on all of the time. Changes should be fairly small and to be honest I think how we are feeling both physically and mentally at any given time has more impact on sound quality than anything like warm up.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
I think warm up can affect the sound. As mentioned by Major above, electrical tolerances can be and sometimes are affected by temperature, this is fact.

In my 23 years of being an enthusiast of Hi Fi, I've found some kit I've owned to be very much affected by warm up and some kit not so much.

An old Pioneer A-110 I used to own sounded like two different amplifiers if compared from cold to warm (it was on it's last legs). The 2 NAD amplifiers I currently own don't seem to be affected by temperature much at all. My Sony CDP-XB930 CD Player sounds a bit richer and smoother when warm.

If your system sounds better when warm then that's fine, but don't get stuck in a rut of over analysing the sound and loosing enjoyment until it's been switched on for 5 hours or even leaving it switched on all of the time. Changes should be fairly small and to be honest I think how we are feeling both physically and mentally at any given time has more impact on sound quality than anything like warm up.

My Naim kit sounds edgy when cold. It is noticeable and I prefer it once everything has warmed up. Having lived with electronics for all my working life, I am used to spurious transients in cold gear, and the thermal shock of power up. HiFi afficianados are listening to the little differences, and it is no surprise they hear the variations as Hifi circuits warm up.

I'm definitely a warmer upperer. I usually stick a cd on, and go about my daily routine before sitting with a cold beer in one hand and the remote in the other.

i think there's definitely a case of settling in, of both kit and ears.

By my second beer, I'm usually sorted.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I'm definitely a warmer upperer. I usually stick a cd on, and go about my daily routine before sitting with a cold beer in one hand and the remote in the other.

Oh dear, you have started something now. I have read about cables, interconnects and power leads. You might have started a thread from the beerists; which beer makes your HiFi sound best. Greene King's Abbot Ale for me.....

NJB said:
bigfish786 said:

Oh dear, you have started something now. I have read about cables, interconnects and power leads. You might have started a thread from the beerists; which beer makes your HiFi sound best. Greene King's Abbot Ale for me.....

Grolsch seems to work for me. Holsten Pils is a bit "bright" ;-)

bigfish786 said:
NJB said:
bigfish786 said:

Grolsch seems to work for me. Holsten Pils is a bit "bright" ;-)

Personally I have found that after about four Holstens things quieten back down and any system you listen to becomes as mellow as the next. :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've found after about 4-5 tins of lager the midband seems a bit cloudy and not as crisp and precise. More than that and instrument placement becomes vague and the treble starts to dull. Conversely, real ale initially does wonders for the weight of the bass, though again after about 4-5 tins it can become overblown and bloated.

MajorFubar said:
I've found after about 4-5 tins of lager the midband seems a bit cloudy and not as crisp and precise. More than that and instrument placement becomes vague and the treble starts to dull. Conversely, real ale initially does wonders for the weight of the bass, though again after about 4-5 tins it can become overblown and bloated.

Can understand the bloated bit, which is why I never do any system critical analysis on anything other than a good red wine. Bearing in mind that I wouldn't advise this if it has anything to do with cartridges and tonearms. :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about this just few days ago. I have been wondering since getting my new amp six months ago whether or not it is effected by warm up. I'm sure I have noticed in the past several occasions where after four hours or more of listening the sound really does reach a new level. However it is rare that I am listening in one session for this length of time.

However, I noticed the other day that not long after start up, I noticed what i perceived to be a noticeable difference in sound after ten minutes. I had thought this was probably the case before but this time I could put a time on it by going back and looking how many tracks I had listened to. Anyway....the sound seemed more open, wider, warmer, more separation in instruments....better in every way. So I can firmly say that at this time, I am currently a firm believer in warm up.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
We have all been conditioned over the years from the reviewers, electronic companies and hifi salesmen regarding warm up and burn in time.

At the moment i dont give it a second thought and just listen without looking for a difference in sound quality.

Having said that i think there is something in optimal operating tempreture.

The only time ive experienced a change in sound was when i first switched on the my 360.
It sounded very course and after 10 mins became smooth and sweet. Now maybe i just became used to a horrible sound.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
​I can not be bothered to wait and find out if It makes a difference to my amp as when I turn it on I want to listen to my albums stright away. I'm much to impatient to wait.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Phew! I'm glad it's not just me that thinks warming the amp can make a difference! I agree with the poster who said that we shouldn't get into a fixed habit of doing everything in a certain way, so I don't do it as an absolute necessity. Often, I'm not sure whether I will be in the mood or have time to play music half an hour in advance. However, if I happen to be thinking about it at the right time I switch the amp on and when I'm eventually ready to spin a disc then it's ready to go. If not, I just switch it off again -- no harm done.

Alcohol and tiredness definitely make a difference to how my system sounds. I really enjoy listening to music with a glass or two of wine. (I'm sure my alcohol consumption has gone up since I bought my hi-fi!) However, I have a vague feeling that too much alcohol causes your hearing to lose a bit of top end. Similarly a long day driving a noisy van (courier by trade) takes a bit of treble off. Forunately the A-18 has tone controls, so treble gets a +1 tweak!

Right. I shall continue with my bizarre amp-warming habit feeling fully validated!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Incredibly sensible, my kind of expert. Not that it will convince the believers!

Chris

PS My system sounds exactly the same however long it switched on. My ears however hear things very differently depending on many factors like how tired I am and how much booze I have consumed. Late on Saturday night after an aperitif, a bottle of wine and with a glass of single malt in my hand everything sounds superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts