The new set up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I will admit to trying this myself in the past but it's not recommended. Not sure of the technical aspects why but definitely not advised.
I've been thinking about this. I think the advisability or not is down to what Ohms load the amplifier can handle. If your amp can handle say 4 Ohms per channel, then if you were to hook up two 8 Ohm speakers on the channels that can handle 4 Ohms per channel, you'd be ok I believe.
I used to have this bass amp for my bass guitar when I was in a band. It could handle loads of 2 Ohms which would push it's output to 1200 Watts. If I ran it with one 8 Ohm speaker it was pushing out about 375 Watts. If I ran at 4 Ohms using two 8 Ohm cabs it was pushing out about 750 watts. If I ran it with four 8 Ohm cabs driving the Ohms down to a wapping 2 Ohms, then she'd pump out 1200 Watts of pure bootylicious bass goodness. I loved that amp!!

WayneKerr

I've been thinking about this. I think the advisability or not is down to what Ohms load the amplifier can handle. If your amp can handle say 4 Ohms per channel, then if you were to hook up two 8 Ohm speakers on the channels that can handle 4 Ohms per channel, you'd be ok I believe.
I used to have this bass amp for my bass guitar when I was in a band. It could handle loads of 2 Ohms which would push it's output to 1200 Watts. If I ran it with one 8 Ohm speaker it was pushing out about 375 Watts. If I ran at 4 Ohms using two 8 Ohm cabs it was pushing out about 750 watts. If I ran it with four 8 Ohm cabs driving the Ohms down to a wapping 2 Ohms, then she'd pump out 1200 Watts of pure bootylicious bass goodness. I loved that amp!!
You may be more aware of the technical reasons than I in that case. Give it a try, that 8005 has a very sensitive protection circuit so if it doesn't like it it will soon let you know :)

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
You may be more aware of the technical reasons than I in that case. Give it a try, that 8005 has a very sensitive protection circuit so if it doesn't like it it will soon let you know :)
Cheers, I'll do some proper looking into what Ohms load it can handle if I do decide to do it. I suppose the other thing is, is that I hate to see them sitting there not being used. I could sell them and I'd like to sell the PM7200 amp probably on eBay. But I haven't got a printer and I live out in the sticks in West Wales. I think the Post Office down in my nearest little Town can take parcels for Parcel Force. So I guess that might be an option.
Off topic, what kind of music do you listen to on your set up good Sir?

WayneKerr

Blimey, all sorts: Some early R&R - 50's+60's, Motown, Soul, Funk, Philly, Disco, 70+80's Electronic... basically most Pop music. Very partial to female vocalists, and some male ones too. Some classical music - but really need bigger speakers to hear it at its best. Kinda stopped buying/listening to music when Rap arrived on the scene in the mid 90's.

I'll say it before you do... what a waste of a good system! But I like it it... whatever floats yer boat hey :)

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Cheers, I'll do some proper looking into what Ohms load it can handle if I do decide to do it. I suppose the other thing is, is that I hate to see them sitting there not being used. I could sell them and I'd like to sell the PM7200 amp probably on eBay. But I haven't got a printer and I live out in the sticks in West Wales. I think the Post Office down in my nearest little Town can take parcels for Parcel Force. So I guess that might be an option.
Just a a little side note you don’t need a printer just pay a little more for the postal service you use to bring labels. They’ll slap them on as they pick up the parcel. You’ll get a few bob for a pm7200 there highly sort after.

Just a a little side note you don’t need a printer just pay a little more for the postal service you use to bring labels. They’ll slap them on as they pick up the parcel. You’ll get a few bob for a pm7200 there highly sort after.
For what it's worth I have never needed a printer to sell any of my kit on eBay band there are plenty of couriers that will collect especially if you say this has to be arranged by the buyer.

Why do you want a printer to sell a amp on Ebay?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Blimey, all sorts: Some early R&R - 50's+60's, Motown, Soul, Funk, Philly, Disco, 70+80's Electronic... basically most Pop music. Very partial to female vocalists, and some male ones too. Some classical music - but really need bigger speakers to hear it at its best. Kinda stopped buying/listening to music when Rap arrived on the scene in the mid 90's.

I'll say it before you do... what a waste of a good system! But I like it it... whatever floats yer boat hey :)
I F****ING hate rap.I can't even bring myself to call it music. Utter xxxx I like a lot of the same stuff as you but am a huge classical fan in the last 2 years. But I am particular, I don't like modern film score classical, that's fake to me. I love Aretha. Also Led Zeppelin, Doors, Queens of the Stone Age and others. My favourite band of all time.......Gong, with David Allen, Gilli Smith and Pierre Moerlen on drums. One of the most astonishing drummers I ever heard.
I I spent the whole night sorting the Hi Fi out. Bought some pretty decent stands it the B&W 602 S3 speakers back and the 707 S2 on top. Checked the instructions carefully, did it correctly, the amp now runs at 4 Ohms and becomes a 100 Watt amp instead of 70 Watt.
Just trying it out now. All good so far.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Ah cheers for that. I'll look into flogging it. It's in great condition, coz I'm obsessive about looking after my stuff ha ha.

I don't know.... I suppose I thought one might get cheaper postage by using other couriers besides Royal Mail, or Parcel Force. But I am given to saying idiotic things sometimes.😂🖐🏻
You probably can get cheaper postage but buying a printer for the labels isn't necessary unless you are sending out several items each day.

I used to send a few items each day as I used to run my own business (not auction site related).... I wouldn't buy a printer just for sending out pieces of hi-fi.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
You probably can get cheaper postage but buying a printer for the labels isn't necessary unless you are sending out several items each day.

I used to send a few items each day as I used to run my own business (not auction site related).... I wouldn't buy a printer just for sending out pieces of hi-fi.
Thanks for that, I don't run an eBay business but I do sell a lot off stuff on eBay. Anyway, I'm a bit of a technophobe and printers, well other people's printers never seem to go long without breaking as well as running out of ink.👎🏻

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
You can pick up a colour printer for peanuts, but the ink refills cost me around £30 a time. That's why some chuck their printer away once the ink has gone and just buy a new one.
I think Kodak brought out a printer that wasn't very expensive and they promised that ink cartridges would be reasonably priced. Whether this is true or not I don't know.
Someone I knew used to refill the cartridges with bottled ink using a syringe. I don't know how successful this is as a strategy. I bet someone on YouTube would have an explanation about how it's done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts