The new set up

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
So. First I replaced my Denon DCD 860 with the Meridian 206. A definite improvement. Then I decided to change my old Marantz PM7200 with the PM8005. Again an improvement. Next I replaced my B&W 602 S3 speakers with 707 S2. I'm blown away. I never knew music could sound this good.
It's funny because to start with I was a little bit disappointed. The 707s aren't as warm and bass heavy. But the definition, the lack of muddiness, distortion even has gone. I can hear the drums better. After an hour of listening, I'm hooked on music again even more than previously. Without boasting or just saying it because it's new gear,(I actually considered selling the 707s as soon as I hear them) But after listening and getting used to the different sound, I think the whole system sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm listening to CDs one after another and I've never enjoyed any of them this much in the past. I am one happy bunny. 🤣!!!

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I bought Mozart's Complete works, 170 CDs for £40 including postage l. The average price for this set is about £170. Also bought Motown Chartbusters volume 1 to 12 for £22. And Pink Floyd Ummagumma.
Oh yeah and Aretha Franklin's Respect, 2 CD compilation. I love that but lost my copy several years ago after moving out of my crazy girlfriend's house. 😭NOT

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Good price.
I've got volumes 9, 10 & 11 of the Chartbusters on CD and 'Chartbusters '80' on vinyl.
Has there ever been a really bad Motown track?
(A few not so goods, but no terrible and some real greats (y))
Absolutely and James Jameson, what a bass player. I know he didn't do all their bass playing, but when every single English bassist of that era heard his playing....they were all blown away and said to themselves...."that is how I need to play Bass".

Reactions: Gray
Motown Chartbusters was a series of compilation albums. Jameson was the Motown Studio bass player, most of the time, until he developed alcoholism, then they had to find stand ins for him. But he is known as a Giant among bass players. A true legend.
Yes, very good bass player.

Also Bernard Edwards from Chic is another great Soul and Funk bassist.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Takes a little time for your ears to adjust to a different presentation but good to hear all the changes have been worthwhile (y)
Hey thanks. I like this Forum, really nice bunch of guys on here and many of whome are far more knowledgeable than me and quite happy to share thoughts and advice.
It makes a nice change from Social media sites like Twitter which seems to me to be full of people trying to be spiteful to one another half the time. In fact, I got banned for a week for calling Joe Biden an idiot and then I never bothered with it again after that. 🤣

Hey thanks. I like this Forum, really nice bunch of guys on here and many of whome are far more knowledgeable than me and quite happy to share thoughts and advice.
It makes a nice change from Social media sites like Twitter which seems to me to be full of people trying to be spiteful to one another half the time. In fact, I got banned for a week for calling Joe Biden an idiot and then I never bothered with it again after that. 🤣
How's the new bundles?

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Really good thanks. Although, I am kind of missing the larger bass of my older 602 S3 speakers l. The 707 S2 have better definition but because they're quite small they simply don't quite have the depth of the others. Since my new amp is designed to cope with 4 ohm loads, I am toying with the idea of running bothe sets with the small ones stood on top of the large ones.

Really good thanks. Although, I am kind of missing the larger bass of my older 602 S3 speakers l. The 707 S2 have better definition but because they're quite small they simply don't quite have the depth of the others. Since my new amp is designed to cope with 4 ohm loads, I am toying with the idea of running bothe sets with the small ones stood on top of the large ones.
I had the same when changed the large TB2i for the smaller Dalis. You soon get used to the slightly less but better defined bass.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Ah thanks for letting me know that.
I must admit I am getting used to it. Sometimes I think they're not quite bassy enough although in 90% of all other considerations I think they're better. If one was very rich and perhaps a bit daft you could just keep on and on chasing perfection which is probably elusive. Like the Donkey and the carrot so to speak.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
😆
I didn't think Twitter were that sensitive.

Before the actual vote, I started a Brexit thread on this forum.
Here, as with everywhere else, the debate got unnecessarily personal.
Almost as bad cable debates it was 🤬
It's very strange. I have acquaintances who will walk into my house, start ranting about Britain leaving the Political Union that was the EU, making the assumption that everyone undoubtedly agrees with them without the slightest reticence. Hilarious!

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
It's very strange. I have acquaintances who will walk into my house, start ranting about Britain leaving the Political Union that was the EU, making the assumption that everyone undoubtedly agrees with them without the slightest reticence. Hilarious!
After all it wasn't a bloody love affair. It didn't mean that those of us that wanted out of the EU hated Europe and all it's people. Well I didn't think that's what it meant anyway 😂

Reactions: Edbostan and Gray

TRENDING THREADS