Warmer sound required

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
seemorebtts said:
I agree you get used to what you have had but on the original poster question, this Dali sound is not warm like those tannoys you refer to or the pro acs I mention, or pmcs etc. The Dalis are probably tuned to impress everyone on detail in the dealer showroom with a hike in high frequencies, like lots of monitor audios. But the control of bass comes from the speaker and amplifier together. Something like a pmc twenty 23 or spendor a6r would be a better balance for bass and treble than your Dalis imo. Just more musical. So it’s a preference thing for these areas. I’d have the tannoys over the 6 spec Dali as it suits this taste. What makes a speaker and amp combo really good is the way it can mesh detail and warmth together and is fast and dynamic.
the Dali's have great warmth in the midrange and large warm bottom end more so than the tannoy. What Dali's have you heard ?

ive heard the Opticon ranges. IMO they are about detail in the mids but not warmth or tonally rich bass wise in the midrange, but they major on power and slam, but the basic ones aren’t as dynamic (on and off)on bass and mids as something more expensive eg atc scm40, which always stands out when you listen to budget versus speakers over 3 or 4 grand.

When you say large warm bottom end what I think you are referring too is the amount of bass which I’d agree is good, but not the tonality of the speaker in bass.

The tannoys tend to be tonally richer accross the ranges (as if you hit the bass knob up a bit more) but they often won’t go as low and dynamic but they do have big soundstage with the concentric drivers (like kef too) . They have good midrange and reasonable detail but probably not as good as the Dalis which are hiked up in the midrange high frequencies.

For the tonal richness, the soundstage and spaciousness and this interplay with ok detail and reasonable dynamics, I think they are better. They tend to be more on a even keel with what you couldn’t get rid of, as I’ve got used to speakers into a different quality bracket. Ie richness and refinement with good soundstage, rather than all out screaming detail. Not that detail isn’t important but if you took away the richness from decent speakers like an atc scm40 you’d trash the sound. But not the same with removing some detail. If this makes sense.

Bizarely I thought the 5ax i think they are called ie powered passive Dalis more balanced and better.
so have you heard the opticon 8s ? If yes which amplifier were they hooked up with ? Because how you describe them is not quite how I hear mine and you can’t really take notice of what hifi reviews as they only give my speakers 4 stars and not one thing I’ve brought hifi related is because of what hifi or there star ratings The Reviews I go by are my ears and my judgment and taste . But it might not be your taste that’s the hobby. ! Each to our own they say

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Making any descriptions in hi Fi is all comparative. So you may say and think rightly that it sounds warm to you, but hear it comparative to another it might not be. But equally you could hear the tannoys and not think them warm, and that’s your view rightly too. Each to their own. Absolutely.

Ive always thought what hi Fi reviews on speakers quite reliable, not quite so much with amps and often less so with sources. The bits that do the sound are most obvious, hence less error I think,

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Making any descriptions in hi Fi is all comparative. So you may say and think rightly that it sounds warm to you, but hear it comparative to another it might not be. But equally you could hear the tannoys and not think them warm, and that’s your view rightly too. Each to their own. Absolutely.

Ive always thought what hi Fi reviews on speakers quite reliable, not quite so much with amps and often less so with sources. The bits that do the sound are most obvious, hence less error I think,
always remember it’s always about the music

my setup is geared up for classic rock , metal and pink floyd sounds lovely on my setup and so does led zeppelin I can’t ask anymore then that .

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Reply to hash 46

My old Tannoy dc6t se floorstander were rich sounding, refined, and pretty warm tonally, not anywhere like as smooth and warm and as bass dynamic as my pmcs or atcs etc driven really well, by virtue of pmcs ability to go low when demanded. The tannoys had a huge open sound with very big soundstage. Sound not coming from the speaker at all. And I was using a low powered cyrus 6dac at the time. Also reasonable detail and timing. But the overall big soundstage and ability of cabinets to move air and decent bass, Added to impression of warmth. Certainly not lacking. Also the fact that the bass was more tonal and less dynamic in the tannoys, always there, which unlike my pmcs is only there when it’s demanded in the music. 

I think these qualities have been carried over into the xt6f and xt8f speakers which I think replaced the dc series or maybe a later range?

If you look at what the reviews say they are in agreement with this and the Dalis of similar prices by comparison get criticised for not being refined or as smooth. That’s why what hi Fi have tended to prefer the Tannoy sound I think. I think this comes from the preserve of experience of better speakers that once you’ve had the richness by bass depth and dynamics in these better speakers you’d never go back to speakers lacking in bass tonality, even at costs of detail perhaps. The better premium tannoys go up in warmth and detail like you’d expect.
Tannoy have warmth =-O

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
knaithrover said:
My 2nd hand Zensor 5's aren't high end by any means but in a small room they are wonderfully musical and warm sounding to my ears. A real bargain for under £300.
good for you the dali Zensor 5s are good speakers i think dali make some real good speakers for the money you pay *smile*

TRENDING THREADS