Want to replace Toshiba SR-355 tonearm with Audio Technica AT1120, good idea?

Jonathanhalder3

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
My dad gave me his Toshiba SR-355 with the original tonearm fixed and the AT1120 tonearm in its box. The stylus on the cartridge fixed to the original tonearm is damaged and I am going to purchase a replacement for it. While I was making changes I thought it might be worth to swap out the original tonearm for the AT1120 since they were made for low-mass cartridges and the cartridge I was planning on buying was the Rega Carbon, a fairly lightweight cartridge I think. I removed the original tonearm and tried fitting the AT1120, but the opening under the tonearm base that leads to the circuitry inside the turntable was too small to fit the tonearm base of the AT1120. Is it a good idea to make some adjustments to the deck to accommodate the larger tonearm base of the AT1120? I am told that the turntable is not really made for swapping tonearms, so I’m left wondering why my dad picked the AT1120 up then, since he did not have any other turntable, which leads me to believe he picked it up for this Toshiba SR-355. Maybe he made a mistake, who knows. Would really appreciate some input on this topic as I am quite new to analog gear. Thanks in advance for your advice :)

I cannot really envisage the fitting but obviously getting the AT in the correct position is critical. The mounting distance has to be 225mm, I know there is only 3mm in it...
I think you will have trouble fitting it on this deck if attempting it yourself.
The AT is a cheap straight low mass arm that will not be suitable for most of today's cartridges anyway so you are probably better off leaving the Toshiba as it is.

Last edited:

Jonathanhalder3

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
I cannot really envisage the fitting but obviously getting the AT in the correct position is critical. The mounting distance has to be 225mm, I know there is only 3mm in it...
I think you will have trouble fitting it on this deck if attempting it yourself.
The AT is a cheap straight low mass arm that will not be suitable for most of today's cartridges anyway so you are probably better off leaving the Toshiba as it is.
Thanks! Will probably sell it then since I have no use for it. Use that money to pick up a nice cartridge. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS