Connoisseur BD1 / Hadcock HD228

Gab Bennett

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
I have an AR Sugden Connoisseur BD1 turntable that I built from a kit in the 70's. It has been stored away for probably 30 years or so but I am now having to downsize and need to sell it on to a good home. It is in a homemade timber plinth and has been fitted with a Hadcock HD228 tonearm sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. I also have the original Sugden SAU2 tonearm, all the construction instructions and templates, alignment protractors and miscellaneous nuts, bolts, washers and allen keys. There is no plinth cover. There is an AKG P7E cartridge and an unidentified (can't remember!) cartridge in the kit but I cannot vouch for their condition.
After 30 or so years the turntable still revolves but I haven't been able to test the cartridges.

I loved this turntable at the time and used it for years until my lifestyle dictated that a less fiddly and sensitive set-up was required.
I have pictures available. Is this of any interest to members here? I'm based in the northwest of England.
If anyone is interested in this, please message me. Thanks

Gab Bennett

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
Thanks guys. Apologies for breaking the rules. That'll teach me to not bother to read the rules. I'm old enough to know better. Before I disappear I'll add that in the 70s I spent over a year reading What Hi-Fi magazine to try to get the best budget hifi system that I could afford at the time and ended up with a very good (to my ears) system made up of items from different manufacturers which all looked completely different but delivered well. I still use 75% of this today.

Reactions: Al ears

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
My first TT was a BD1. I bought the kit in Comet in Oxford for £14.99 and coupled it with a Acos Lustre GST-1 tonearm, bought from the same place for £23.10. My eldest brother built a plinth for me. There are several for sale on eBay.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts