Want a bigger bass response - look in here.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:
I think part of the problem is that HiFi mags rarely review pro gear. So many persons don't even know the options that are available.

I would love to see WHF do a shootout of studio monitors used in a HiFi setting. Round up the popular brands - Mackie, Genelec, Dynaudio, Focal, KRK, Event etc and compare their sound at more traditional HiFi listening distances.

+1

It would make an interesting article.
It would be a pointless article, if we're all being honest, and withouit saying anything too incriminating. I can already tell you what the outcome would be, and that outcome is, "you don't bite the hand that feeds you".

I bet more people buy WHF for the TV, phone and tablet recommendations than they do for "Hi-Fi" these days.

I agree, it would make a great article, and may even help edge more of the big boys along to making more wife-friendly actives.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
As we're all after the "perfect" reproduction of sound, I think it would make sense to have a listen to the speakers that our music is mixed on.

Never know, might like what they hear?

Just my 2p

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:
I think part of the problem is that HiFi mags rarely review pro gear. So many persons don't even know the options that are available.

I would love to see WHF do a shootout of studio monitors used in a HiFi setting. Round up the popular brands - Mackie, Genelec, Dynaudio, Focal, KRK, Event etc and compare their sound at more traditional HiFi listening distances.

+1

It would be a pointless article, if we're all being honest, and withouit saying anything too incriminating. I can already tell you what the outcome would be, and that outcome is, "you don't bite the hand that feeds you".

Honestly, I don't share the cynicism about HiFi mags that appears to be so prominent in some of these responses. I've seen the Major mags in the UK and US print reviews that bashed advertisers' products. So I don't buy the whole "don't bite the hand that feeds you" argument. Contrary to popular belief, the advertisers NEED HiFi mags as much (if not more) than the Mags need them. Where else are audiophiles going to find out about X brand's latest offering? So If WHF irritates an advertiser with a bad review, then some brand that got a really great review will be happy to take their advertising slot.

There are always going to be 5 star products and brands who want to show off that their products received 5 stars and/or awards. There is no need to be a slave to the advertisers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
As we're all after the "perfect" reproduction of sound, I think it would make sense to have a listen to the speakers that our music is mixed on.

Never know, might like what they hear?

Just my 2p

Full sized studio monitors are really not suited for use in the home, the are big, loud and very dynamic and will, quite literally, take your windows out.

Even at more sensible levels they will still put out enough energy to rattle every bit of furniture in the room, without treatment and proper bass trapping they could well be unlistenable.

Nearfield monitors are a rather odd breed, originally concieved to be a 'domestic reference' they were placed on or just above the bridge of the console and supposed to mimic the sound most people would hear at home.

The best known early example was the Auratone, a small cube with a full range driver (5 inch?) normally refered to as the 'grotbox' or 'horribletone', this was replaced by the original Yamaha NS10, a compact passive two way. It is pretty much the mother of all modern near field monitors which are now almost universally used in home and small studios and production facilities.

The latest HS5 active monitor still maintains the family look and will, undoubtably sell by the truckload, given it's extremely low cost, well under £300 it would be interesting to try it as an alternative to an entry level hifi amp/speaker combination.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

+1

Honestly, I don't share the cynicism about HiFi mags that appears to be so prominent in some of these responses. I've seen the Major mags in the UK and US print reviews that bashed advertisers' products. So I don't buy the whole "don't bite the hand that feeds you" argument. Contrary to popular belief, the advertisers NEED HiFi mags as much (if not more) than the Mags need them. Where else are audiophiles going to find out about X brand's latest offering? So If WHF irritates an advertiser with a bad review, then some brand that got a really great review will be happy to take their advertising slot.

There are always going to be 5 star products and brands who want to show off that their products received 5 stars and/or awards. There is no need to be a slave to the advertisers.

Yes but when about 80% of reviews get 4 or 5 stars you have to wonder, how many get 1 or 2 stars?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Ajani said:
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

+1

Yes but when about 80% of reviews get 4 or 5 stars you have to wonder, how many get 1 or 2 stars?

I recall a fairly well known journalist who ran a subscription only hifi magazine being asked why all the products in his mag recieved good write ups.

He replied simply. "Life is too short to spend it writing about cr*p hifi equipment".

:clap:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

+1

I wasn't intentionally being cynical, nor even taking a vaguely-disguised swipe and WHF's reviewing standards or practises. It's just about common business sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts