Abrahamsen V2.0 UP Integrated Amplifier Review
By Lionel Payne on 11/08/2015

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/abrahamsen-v2-0-up-integrated-amplifier-review/

Specifications
2 x 70 watt in 8 ohm 2 x140 watt in 4 ohm
1000VA Ring core transformer
100,000uF Capacitance. 16A Relays 12 Output Devices
Signal/noise: >100 dBTHD: 0,005 % Frequency response: 0-70.000 Hz +/-3 dB
3 Line inputs (RCA)1 Balanced (XLR) input Tape output (RCA)
Digital volume control LCD-display Bespoke Metal Remote control

Dimensions
Width 43 cm – Height 10.5 cm – Depth 32 cm – Weight 16 kg

Review
The delivery man arrives with the package. Once it’s signed for I scurry upstairs with it to the mancave. I am a little surprised that it isn’t a little heavier (16kg) but it’s certainly no lightweight. Unpacked, it’s an attractive beast! The first thing that struck me was how it even looks like it should be part of the Electrocompaniet family.

It isn’t of course, but the Abrahamsen in the title may be a clue to more than a few people here. It is indeed designed by Per Abrahamsen – the main man in Electrocompaniet’s earlier days and the head honcho here too. All black but for the two solid brass dials, the gold lettering and the 4 gold screws holding the glass front in place. All very “Electrocompaniet” in looks then although thankfully the width is a standard 430mm and not a rack-busting 19” like the older models.

There is a relatively heavy remote (no plastic here) which I notice has a couple of Allen screws holding the battery compartment on but at least the correct sized Allen key is also provided. Believe me, this thing looks like it is really made to last. Around the back there is provision for 3 line level inputs plus one balanced (XLR) connection. Once powered up you see how clear and easily readable the LCD display is. All good so far.

I had decided before it’s arrival that I would give it a gentle introduction and immediately hooked it up to my Acoustic Precision Eikos CD player (via Transparent Audio Music Link Ultra interconnects) and my Cyrus CLS70 bookshelf speakers ( via Cable Talk Concert 2.1 cables). The difficult task of driving my PMC FB1+’s would have to wait a little longer.

The Eikos has been with me for many years and delivers a well- balanced full range sound that can be relied upon to tell me what is happening with the rest of the system. It is also one of the most analogue sounding CD players that I have ever heard. Boy was I in for a giant surprise when I sat down to listen to my first disc. The sound wasn’t great. It was as though the mid band was being sucked out of the mix. I rushed to check my connections but found no mistakes.

At this point I correctly surmised that a warm up may be necessary. I left it playing and I carried on listening but with far less intent. The sound gradually improved until it sounded different again after maybe 20 minutes. It was now sounding more like I had expected, in fact it was actually responsible for putting a pleasant smile on my face. Time to start listening with some intent again.

First I loaded up a track I’ve been listening to a lot lately -Ballad by New Model Army. Within the track is a mouth organ that I love to hear how resonant the sound is, as it seems to vary on every system I listen to it on and with the Abrahamsen it resonated wonderfully. Quickly moving on to another recent favourite CD – Push The Sky Away – the most recent studio release by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Everything was so natural, the tonality was fabulous and voices made you want to reach out and touch the singer. I couldn’t feed the tray of the Eikos quick enough. I wanted more and more!

From the thunderous bass of Leftfield’s debut album to the shimmering highs of Shadowplay by Joy Division this amp had the answers every time and could not be wrong-footed. I’m not much of a classical guy but I do love Sinead O’Connor’s Am I Not Your Girl which would give me the feel of how a big band sounds and the Abrahamsen did not disappoint. Her voice was portrayed with real emotion and inflection with the band creating a wide and balanced sound stage although perhaps not as deep as some I have heard although all these other amps would cost several times what the cost of the Abrahamsen is. In fact, rating this amplifier is the easiest thing in the world when you consider it costs £900. It’s a downright steal! I would be happy to recommend it against amplifiers costing twice the price – it is that good!

Earlier I mentioned I had one last trick up my sleeve which may upset the apple cart. This was my transmission line PMC FB1+’s which are known for needing plenty of current to get the best out of them. I can’t claim that they were the best amp/speaker combination as perhaps the Abrahamsen did fall a little short in creating the deepest of bass with ease but in every other respect they came through with flying colours. They grabbed the PMC’s with a vice-like grip for all but that last piece of bottom end but the mid-band and top end were beguiling. I’m not, for a minute, suggesting that the overall sound is bass-light.

Infact the bass region is a strong point with normal speakers and to try and sum up the overall sound of the amplifier is, I would say it stays on the slightly warm side of neutral, particularly in the upper mid-band which makes for a most pleasant and non-fatiguing sound.

In conclusion, I was taken aback by the synergy between my Eikos CD player and this amplifier. The combination was terrific. If you are considering a purchase of the V2.0 UP Integrated Amplifier I can heartily suggest your choice is a very good one. However, an amplifier of this quality demands the best ancillaries you can provide. You will then be enjoying a system which will keep you satisfied for an extremely long time.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Envy.

asterisk_clap.gif

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
richardw42 said:
Not sure WHF will appreciate this thread. You usually have to pay for this sort of advertising.

It is just the teensiest bit blatant, isn't it? ;-)

I wouldn't consider this deliberate advertising, just a review a lot of people have been waiting for. The fact that it might help sell a few amps is just a lucky coincidence. The review does make it sounds decent!

If IQ wasn't involved in them we would all still be very interested in the review because it sounds like its a superb amp that is being missed by British media, obvs because there was previously no UK distributer. The fact he now is the distributer is just his lucky gain. Good for him!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Colin is one of us.

You mean you're a manufacturer/distributor/retailer, too?

Whatever, it's blatant advertising, presumably done without any financial benefit to the magazine supporting these forums. If he's such a bloody nice bloke, perhaps he'd like to stop being such a cheapskate and actually spend some money to advertise on the site rather than pulling stunts like this.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
well im glad colin has posted this because it's about time there was a review on Abrahamsen products give colin a break will you if anything what hifi should grab the opotunity and ask IQ Speakers to send them an amp to review and gives us there review/findings on this great amp.

i don't see this as blatant advertising just a chance to let others know theres finally a review on an amp thats seems to be selling by word of mouth.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well its been a lovely sunny day today has it not? Glad to see everybody has been enjoying it. A couple of posts i have made in the past I regreted and realised I'd crossed the line which I retracted and apologised. This one I dont, we all post reviews from our favourite champions of HiFi. This one I sell, for considerably less margin than any dealer would be interested in. Yes I make money on it, but not near enough to place one advert in WHF would love to one day.

Any way for the many people who will enjoy the review and for the many Forum members who have helped me and for the people I have helped in return on here and would like to continue in the future have a very pleasent evening, after 6-7 months with out a day off im off with my kids to Thorpe Park and on to a family wedding in Norfolk I hope to enjoy it and please enjoy what ever you do.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Have fun with the kids and enjoy the wedding-feast, Colin!

And keep up the good work (and keep us posted)! *good*

Actually, I have an idea...

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I really enjoy you championing your good products and projects - knowledge is good (the amps - speaker kits etc) And you are widening our/my knowledge base. I'l probably try an IPL speaker kit sometime in the near future.

But -if you don't mind me saying Colin (in hindsite ) it may have been better if you had just supplied the link to the site with the review of the amp rather than copying it all in. - just a thought - not a criticism. And Vlad - don't tell people to" ****** off" because they have an opinion different to yours. It's not what this site is about.

tonky

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I am a little disappointed that some people feel the need to have a dig at Colin for what he has been posting .

It was me that first tried to put Abrahamsen equipment in the spotlight on this forum because I wanted others to have a chance to try some equipment that was of such good quality at a very competitive price .

Colin then had the drive and guts to take a chance with the amps and then do a deal with Abrahamsen to start a buisness and become the UK importer with the support of some others on this forum .

I have not met Colin in person yet but I hope to soon, but I can tell by the good deeds that he has done for others that he is one of the good guys and deserves support rather than criticism at this early stage in building his business .

Perhaps someone here could volunteer to do an unbiased independent review for Colin to help him rather than snipe at his efforts !

Please let us all help each other rather than find fault , if we do we are all winners. *smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
And Vlad - don't tell people to" ****** off" because they have an opinion different to yours. It's not what this site is about.

tonky

It was a tongue in cheek comment at Spiny's expense. No need to lawyer him up. He's a tough lad. *wink*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok. Let's just have a level playing field so that other manufacturers and importers (Naim, Rega, Hegel, Leema, Henley Designs or whoever) can also promote their current projects, new products etc. and post their fave reviews here too.

I'm sure they're all nice blokes who take their kids out and go to weddings too.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Ok. Let's just have a level playing field so that other manufacturers and importers (Naim, Rega, Hegel, Leema, Henley Designs or whoever) can also promote their current projects, new products etc. and post their fave reviews here too.

I'm sure they're all nice blokes who take their kids out and go to weddings too.
Chebby, I think this is a very different deal from a main manufacturer advertising, or even posting a review. IQ was providing a review for our pleasure, because some of us are interested in HiFi....especially when an amp is found that apparently punches well above its weight and no one in the UK knows of it. This is, and has been for the last year, very interesting stuff. If Colin hadn't posted the review, and if I was aware of such a review, I would have posted a link myself, knowing how useful and interesting it would be to other people. I don't think it's right people having a go at Colin, some people seem to have very short memories, nothing wrong has been done here. Sure, there is a line that could easily be crossed, but so far it hasn't. So far it all still remains firmly in the park of "HiFi interest" and not self indulgence.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Colin for taking the time to share the review that most of us were waiting for.
I hope you can get some positive results with your new business.

I think looking at the specs they rival amps costing twice the price.

I have no problem with how you post in these forums and wish you all the best. Keep it up please.

I did find the review a little vague though and would love to see a hifichoice review????

They would rate it against competition and discribe the sound a little more in detail.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
It's a fine line, but IMO Colin can do no wrong simply because he's the author of the most interesting thread (not this one) on the forum by a long, long way.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
It's a fine line, but IMO Colin can do no wrong simply because he's the author of the most interesting thread (not this one) on the forum by a long, long way.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have no problem with Boggit/iQ journaling his progress here (others have done it before ie. AE and that guy making speakers but is no more, plus others)

However, its still a big, ugly lump of an amp ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts