Wall mounting advice needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a dilemma with wall mounting my tv. We've decided to have it in the living room (previously in bedroom), and its either wall mount the tv, or find somewhere else to put the turntable.

So off i trot to maplins this afternoon and get one of these and a stud finder.

Now there's a stud right in the middle of where we want the tv (which is great) but going either way the finder is really inconsistent when finding the next ones and even when it does find a stud the wall sometimes sounds hollow.

It's my understanding that studs should be a maximum of 24" apart (usually 16"), so there has to be more which are jut not being found.

Other than calling in the professionals (who may just tell me that it can't be done) does anyone have any ideas for finding the studs?

Given that some brackets which can carry similar sized/heavier tvs seem to only use a couple of screws can i mount mine with two or three in the stud we are sure of and then secure the outsides of the bracket with rawl plugs?

I know i've seen a few photos on here of wall mounted tv's so hopefully someone's in a similar situation.

A

Anonymous

further it now seems that the stud found by the finder, and by tapping of wall to confirm in fact isn't.

My g/f's mum's partner whose a QS told us just to take out the section of wall and see whats behind!
emotion-3.gif

Tonestar1

I wouldn't bother with a stud finder, just tap with a hammer and use a thin nail to confirm your findings. I'm in a new build flat so my studs are metal and useless for fixing too. I used top quality fixings and mounted the tv on the gyproc wall. Absolutely solid I confirmed this by hanging off the mount to ensure it would take my bodyweight. My 46" tv weighs a lot less then me :)

A

Anonymous

Hi

From my experience of wall mounting my 42" plasma, I found it best to hide the cables in the recess of the stud wall and ended up cutting a 6 inch wide section out of my wall, this enabled me to do 2 things:

1. To check where the studs were then mark them.

2. Fit a section of trunking to run all the cables down, then fit the faceplate.

I managed to find 3 studs and screwed six 2 1/2 inch screws, there were a total of 26 screw holes in my bracket, and yep you guessed it.... its mounted with all 26. The current weight of my Plasma is 26kg, soon to be replaced with a Panny 50g10.

Hope this has been of some help

Ron

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts