Volume control set up required

Nickken

Jul 6, 2024
Visit site
Hello to all,

I need advice on how to install a remote control volume controller (with suggestions on the unit if possible).

My set up is as follows - Turntable to phono preamp with line out to powered tannoy Gold 8 speakers. The speakers have a manual volume adjustment on each unit but I want to install a remote controlled unit in between the the preamp outs and the line in on the speakers.

Looking forward to your informative replies.......

Reactions: Revolutions

Gray

You need a passive volume control. If you’re using 3.5mm it limits your options, but something like this should do you: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volbox-Adj...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H

If you’re using rca, this is more likely to be a better unit https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-P...=passive+volume+control&qid=1720270461&sr=8-3
At similar prices, the RCA one would be my choice out of those two - with its ALPS pot and aluminium casing 👍

The ALPS pot is what should make it better than the one I made for the same purpose:
IMG_20230120_133759_MP.jpg

gasolin

Presonus MicroStation BT

Just remember a passive volume control might not have nough gain to max volume from the speakers and it doesn't matter if the speakers have gain,volume a passive volume control or monitor controller (thomann) still might not be enough, so get one that is NOT passive

presonus-microstation-bt-1[1].jpg

This one is passive, avoid it
12224942_800[1].jpg

Reactions: DougK1

Gray

Just remember a passive volume control might not have enough gain
A passive volume control is not meant to have any gain (it has what they call unity gain).
It controls volume only by attenuating it.
When turned full up it lets the full signal through - as if it wasn't there.

Assuming he's got more than enough gain with preamp directly wired to the Tannoys:
Then, if he sets the remote, passive control to half way, then sets the Tannoy volumes to his preferred level.....he'll have all the volume control he needs on the passive control.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and My2Cents

gasolin

A passive volume control is not meant to have any gain (above unity gain).

If he sets the remote, passive control to half way, then sets the Tannoy volumes to his preferred level.....he'll have all the volume control he needs on the passive control.

No im talking form experince, full blast om my mackie mr524 or 624 i didin't have enough volume to make them play as loud as they could when i had a passive volume knob

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site

Presonus MicroStation BT

Just remember a passive volume control might not have nough gain to max volume from the speakers and it doesn't matter if the speakers have gain,volume a passive volume control or monitor controller (thomann) still might not be enough, so get one that is NOT passive

View attachment 7008

This one is passive, avoid it
View attachment 7009
Both of these are passive and neither of them has a remote control.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
A passive volume control is not meant to have any gain (it has what they call unity gain).

Assuming he's got more than enough gain with preamp directly wired to the Tannoys:
Then, if he sets the remote, passive control to half way, then sets the Tannoy volumes to his preferred level.....he'll have all the volume control he needs on the passive control.
Bear in mind, he stated that he is looking for a device that he can control with a remote control ("remote control volume controller") is what he stated.
I see such a device on Amazon USA but can't find it in the UK:

Attachments

• Flyinsky.png
    Flyinsky.png
    277.3 KB · Views: 1

gasolin

A proper passive won't attenuate the signal when it's set full up 👍(mine doesn't).
...but it also can't boost it of course.
Boost it you might need to, to be able to play loud enough, like limited to 4 gear if you have 6 gears, no matter how much you press the throttle it wont go fast enough

Rather have more gain then you need so you can adjust the volume on the tannoys to your prefered level when the volume knob is at 12 o'clock, then full volume and barley be able to play loud.

Preamplifier you can use an app on your phone to control it

2024-07-08 00_30_35-ARYLIC BP50 Preamplifier DAC ES9023P Bluetooth 5.2 aptX HD aptX Adaptive 2...jpg2024-07-08 00_30_42-ARYLIC BP50 Preamplifier DAC ES9023P Bluetooth 5.2 aptX HD aptX Adaptive 2...jpg

2024-07-08 00_32_37-ARYLIC BP50 Preamplifier DAC ES9023P Bluetooth 5.2 aptX HD aptX Adaptive 2...jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: My2Cents

Gray

Bear in mind, he stated that he is looking for a device that he can control with a remote
Yeah, I realised that to most people 'remote' means a thing without wires 👍

But there's a chance his preamp is somewhat remote from his speakers - so with a passive v/c, he could / would be remotely controlling the volume 😉
(And he's never gonna be wire-free from pre to speakers however he does the remote controlling).

Nickken

Jul 6, 2024
Visit site
Many thanks to yo all for your input, please accept my apologies for not replying soon but I was away with work.
For clarification the outs of my turn table are line outs as my turn table has a preamp built in (technics) I then run the cables into attenuators -5/-10/-20 dB as the signal is too hot for the Tannoys in gain (not volume) this avoids the distortion. Each side left and right has a volume control on the speaker.
I was looking for a way in which i could have the speakers set up at say 80% and control the volume / signal of the incoming supply jointly, without having to go to each speaker individually all the time, I then thought if i could have a remote control to do it whilst I am sitting down listening to some good sounds and having a drink of something nice ( be it beer / wine / water / juice / tea / coffee) that would be just perfect ..........

Oh and the connections are RCA from turntable to RCA Attenuators to 6.35mm Jack for the speakers

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The Tannoys are designed as prosumer studio monitors.
They do not have a volume control, they have an input trim control. You are sending a consumer line level signal (-10dBv) into a professional line level input (+4 dBu) on the Tannoys.
The Tannoy inputs are optimized at 0 dBu and can accept as much as +20 dBu.
You do not need attenuators! You need to boost the signal from the turntable RIAA pre amp outs and turn down the trim control on the Tannoys to avoid distortion.
The trim controls do not control the volume of the speakers, this should be done by the device that you are feeding to them.
This is usually done with the main mix fader/s on either a physical mixer or a software mixer (which would typically go to an audio interface, which would also have a volume knob on it). In this case, whilst playing some source material that is peaking at 0bB, you would then set the speakers trim controls to a point just below where distortion occurs. This will most likely be VERY loud. You then control the overall volume with either the mixer or audio interface level controls.
In your case you need a pre amplifier with a volume control.
You could actually buy a little mixer e.g. a Mackie 402VLZ4, but it won't have a remote control. I would try the Arylic solution. If it doesn't work you can always return it to Amazon?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts