virgin v+ hd box

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Is there anyone that is using a virgin v+ hd box getting a 5.1 sound out of it rather than just the stero sound?

I have just phoned virgin media and the person on the phone told me that the hdmi cable from the box does not support the 5.1 sound and you would have to go through either the phono or the optical lead connections.

I wondered if this was correct as I find it hard to belive that the hdmi cable does not support 5.1 sound but the box does

scene

I have the old V+ HD box and use(d) the optical cable to get out 5.1 - the HDMI seems not to do this (think the old SKY HD box is similar)... Not sure whether this is the case with the new Samsung V+ box.

A

Anonymous

Same here

I have optical running from V+ box to my amp and HDMI from V+ to my TV and I get 5.1 sound.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
jokerpaulonline:
Is there anyone that is using a virgin v+ hd box getting a 5.1 sound out of it rather than just the stero sound?

I have just phoned virgin media and the person on the phone told me that the hdmi cable from the box does not support the 5.1 sound and you would have to go through either the phono or the optical lead connections.

I wondered if this was correct as I find it hard to belive that the hdmi cable does not support 5.1 sound but the box does

Rubbish my old one worked fine dude via the HDMI without optical (have the new Samsung box now)
emotion-4.gif

I tried True Blood on FX HD which was broadcast in 5.1, it worked fine (on older box)

The channel has to support 5.1

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
scene:I have the old V+ HD box and use(d) the optical cable to get out 5.1 - the HDMI seems not to do this (think the old SKY HD box is similar)... Not sure whether this is the case with the new Samsung V+ box.

when you plug the optical cable in, is there any settings that you have to go into to tell it you want the sound from the optical instead of the hdmi?

scene

Thinking about it, as the OP says, you I think you will be able to get 5.1 out of the HDMI - you need to set the "HD audio override" (or whatever they call it - you've got the link) - I think this puts the 5.1 out over both the optical and the HDMI.

I never did it because I don't have an HDMI input on my amp (sorry for the potential misinformation
emotion-10.gif
)

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
scene:
Thinking about it, as the OP says, you I think you will be able to get 5.1 out of the HDMI - you need to set the "HD audio override" (or whatever they call it - you've got the link) - I think this puts the 5.1 out over both the optical and the HDMI.

I never did it because I don't have an HDMI input on my amp (sorry for the potential misinformation
emotion-10.gif
)

scene is correct, 5.1 works over HDMI as does optical, you turn on Overide HDMI sound and 5.1 is active over HDMI if the channel supports it regardless if the optical is not plugged in (unlike Sky)

Trust me it works over HDMI I have used it

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Garth Man is right.

Go to the main menu on the V+ box

Select No.8/Settings

Select No.6/Tech Stuff

Select No.4/Change display and audio settings

Then switch HDMI audio override to ON. You should then be able to get Dolby 5.1 via HDMI.

I'm doing this from memory at work, so think that's right!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:Garth Man is right.

Select No.8/Settings

Select No.6/Tech Stuff

Then switch HDMI audio override to OFF. You should then be able to get Dolby 5.1 via HDMI.

IIRC. It's '8/Settings', then '4/Change display and audio settings'. '6/technical stuff' is further down the same menu as '4/change display and audio settings'.

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough:Garth Man is right.

Select No.8/Settings

Select No.6/Tech Stuff

Then switch HDMI audio override to ON. You should then be able to get Dolby 5.1 via HDMI.

I'm doing this from memory at work, so think that's right!

Hi Andy,

when i go into Change display and audio settings and then switch hdmi to audio override on, it says "please ensure youe external amplifier and speakers are connected to your v+ box via optical out port"

jokerpaulonline

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
forget that last comment, although it said that I just pressed yes and have now got a 5.1 sound coming out, thanks for all your help.

It just goes to show that the people on whifi know more, than the technical support at virgin media
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

jokerpaulonline:

It just goes to show that the people on whifi know more, than the technical support at virgin media
emotion-2.gif

And YOU have to pay Virgin for their 'Help'
emotion-12.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, I know, that comment about the optical lead threw me at the time too, but I ignored it and the HDMI worked on its own. Glad we've been able to help out.

A

Anonymous

Happy to confirm as above. I have my Virgin+ box connected via hdmi only to a switcher, thence to my amp. I get 5.1 sound for things like Dr Who on BBCHD no problem.

A

Anonymous

Hi, all the info in this thread has been a great help i just bought a new marantz av processor, connected my V+ box, but no sound at all through the HDMI.

The strange thing is that if the processor is turned to stand by the sound goes through the HDMI to the tv.

I do not intend to use the processor all the time so having the facility to switch is important.

So do i turn the HDMI pass through on? or do i need an optical cable?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts