Virgin TiVo Spotify Screen Burn

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed that Spotify is not doing my Pioneer plasma much good - I only played Spotify via Virgin TiVo for about an hour last night, and I can still see the imprint of the different screen elements. Is there some sort of screensaver mode, like with Apple TV, that can be activated?

Otherwise, my TiVo Spotify usage could be very short-lived!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ahh >) screen burn. One of the reasons I have always run Spotify form another small monitor elsewhere. I own a relatively old school plasma, well 6 years old. The picture is incredible and I don't risk static pictures, the Xbox gets played but never left on static screens for long. It does have some anti screen burn settings which are all applied, I believe the newer plasmas cope with screen burn much better than older screens. Still a plasma is a movie lovers dream screen, showing great natural movement and colour. I would , find a different way to input Spotify.

Good luck old bean :cheers:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a bit of a dilemma then. (My Pioneer PDP-436 is about 6 years old, I think, and I am dreading the day when it starts to falter...I haven't seen any new tv that gives a better picture, so it deserves tlc !)

Is there any way to control Spotify on my main system (see below) without using the TV screen? I assume my Virgin TiVo is out of the running? Shame, nice idea Virgin, but not at the expense of my plasma.

I also have airport extreme, apple tv2 and iPad - perhaps I can link through like that somehow?

Strange that Virgin/Spotify haven't thought of this, as the TiVo has a time-out mechanism for its own menu screen - it reverts to fullscreen tv after a short time to prevent screenburn.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
well you are right you don't want to ruin your screen because as I said above they are awesome.

You can run Spotify on your iPad. then stream it to the Apple TV2 using AirPlay. not sure of wether you get any drop outs there,. You could also stream from your iPad to an airport express,never used one, but it is an option. you couldnconnect the iPad straight to your amp using a mininjack to phono lead. The headphone out of the iPad is very very good. You could use a dock such as the Cacambridge Audio ID 100 for the iPad and then connect the dock via optical to your Av amp. You could use and old Netbook just to run Spotify. Or use an iPhone or ipod touch to stream Spotify in conjunction with a dock such as the Pure I 20 dock.

Any of those useful to you?

More expensive options are changing your Av amp to an Onkyo which can stream Spotify on their own. Then there is Sonos. Allthough I found reliability issues with Spotify running on Sonos.

p.s I am not even considering a new TV till I've seen Apple's attempt at a one which could take a while.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions - I've managed to play Spotify via iPad and Airplay through Apple Tv2.

I've also set up an optical cable direct from TiVo to my pre-amp, so once i've got a playlist running, I can switch the tv input so that the screen is blank, but TiVo keeps playing through the direct connection to the amp. That way it avoids any streaming dropout problems....until Spotify/Virgin sort out a screen saver, that is.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
northantsbloke34 said:
Surely once you've selected what album or playlist you want to play you can turn the tv off? The tivo will play through your amp

I'm sure Virgin/Spotify didn't team up to encourage us to turn off our televisions :mad:

And turning a plasma on and off repeatedly surely can't be good for its hopes of an old age.

Another Virgin oversight, I expect. Will probably be fixed in.....let's not go there.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll give Virgin a call and at least flag it on their system.

The last time I called about something that was wrong (subtitles brought lots of random lines up on screen), they said it was a "known fault" with no solution for the next four months, and seemed to think I'd be really happy.

I've been using Spotify as a "suck it and see" for new stuff before buying vinyl/CD as keepers, so I flick between playlists a lot. Also, with new artists I need to see who is actually playing.

TRENDING THREADS