Vinyl Record Cleaning / Fluid? Machine?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm becoming a vinyl addict and i've been expanding my collection by buying a lot of used records (many of wich need cleaning).

I have been using the "AM Record Claner" (www.am-denmark.com). It's a cleaning fluid bottle that comes with a cloth- for the past year.

Talking to a couple of friends recently, they were shocked that I was using this as it would damage the records because of it being abbrasive (one of them suggested that this liquid could be used but dilluted...)

Questions are:

1) Is it safe to use this liquid for record cleaning?

2) Should I consider a cleaning machine, and if so, is there any good solution within a tight budget?

Thanks!!

cheers,
carlos

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Fluid is safe, provided it's a particular type and doesn't use additives. You should get yourself a Knosti Disco Antistat which, despite its K-Tel looks, is a genius piece of kit. When the fluid runs out (as it will quickly), make your own using 4 parts distilled water to 1 part isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent per litre of fluid.

+ 1 on the 4 parts distilled water to 1 part isopropyl alcohol for the initial clean. Clean again after with L'art du Son for beautiful sounding vinyl.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
These types of cleaning systems can be effective if applied properly and carefully. Having said that, there's no substitute for a proper record cleaning machine. The major benefit is that its much safer by virtue of the fact that the
vacuum sucks off the cleaning fluid more effecively without any
of the abbrasions you might get from a cloth. It's just the usual question of whether the size of your collection justifies the investment.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Clearaudio's Elixir of Sound is a cheap and effective wet stylus cleaner (the brush in the bottle cap type) - using one of these properly every week or so is an effective way to keep your stylus properly clean.

John Duncan

6th.replicant:FWIW: Rega is very anti record-cleaning gizmos/kits, preferring to let the stylus clean the groove, then you blow the dust off the stylus.

Yep, Linn say the same thing. They're both wrong...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:6th.replicant:FWIW: Rega is very anti record-cleaning gizmos/kits, preferring to let the stylus clean the groove, then you blow the dust off the stylus.Yep, Linn say the same thing. They're both wrong...

Yes they should know better! I use 20% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water then redo with Lart du son, it works great with my okki nokki RCM.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

JohnDuncan:Fluid is safe, provided it's a particular type and doesn't use additives. You should get yourself a Knosti Disco Antistat which, despite its K-Tel looks, is a genius piece of kit. When the fluid runs out (as it will quickly), make your own using 4 parts distilled water to 1 part isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent per litre of fluid.

Hi John/All

Can I just ask you about using de-ionised instead of distilled in your mix, as I'm struggling to find distilled in any shops, and the cost of ordering it online makes it 4 x as expensive as de-ionised. Will de-ionised leave any residue, cause any damage?

Thanks

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Hi John/All

Can I just ask you about using de-ionised instead of distilled in your mix, as I'm struggling to find distilled in any shops, and the cost of ordering it online makes it 4 x as expensive as de-ionised. Will de-ionised leave any residue, cause any damage?

Thanks
Yep, de-ionised is fine. It leaves no residue, as long as it's clean.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Hi John/All

Thanks

....and don't forget the scourer.....
emotion-4.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mitch65:bretty:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Hi John/All

Thanks

emotion-4.gif

Thank you, yes I would have, but I decided the Disco Antistat might be better

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:mitch65:bretty:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Hi John/All

Thanks

emotion-4.gif

Thank you, yes I would have, but I decided the Disco Antistat might be better

Don't say that!, you'll only get Bretty started. lol!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Bretty likes his doesn't he.

I got one for xmas, and used up all the fluid within days on only 20% of my records

So I think I love mine too, as we have become very close.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

I got one for xmas, and used up all the fluid within days on only 20% of my records

He does if he's been converted to the 'antistat cause', thought he was a bit anti........stat. Guess he'll put me right, I'll blow the dust off of mine when I finally get around to getting a new deck.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mitch65:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

He does if he's been converted to the 'antistat cause', thought he was a bit anti........stat. Guess he'll put me right, I'll blow the dust off of mine when I finally get around to getting a new deck.

I could be wrong, and as you said, I'm sure he'll let us know

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

emotion-2.gif

To BBB, If you're making up your own solution for the first time, try just putting 10 drops of rinse-aid (I use Fairy dishwasher rinse-aid. You can get it in little bottles from all supermarkets) to a litre of the de-ionised water (which is helpfully down the same aisle as the rinse-aid. In Morrisons, at least
emotion-1.gif
). Don't bother buying any Isopropyl alcohol. It's expensive and doesn't help with the cleaning, it just helps the water dry faster. By missing the alcohol out, the DIY cleaning fluid is cheap enough to throw away after each cleaning session. Personally, after a bit of experimentation, I've found that changing the fluid after every four discs gives best results.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bretty:mitch65:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

emotion-2.gif

To BBB, If you're making up your own solution for the first time, try just putting 10 drops of rinse-aid (I use Fairy dishwasher rinse-aid. You can get it in little bottles from all supermarkets) to a litre of the de-ionised water (which is helpfully down the same aisle as the rinse-aid. In Morrisons, at least
emotion-1.gif
). Don't bother buying any Isopropyl alcohol. It's expensive and doesn't help with the cleaning, it just helps the water dry faster. By missing the alcohol out, the DIY cleaning fluid is cheap enough to throw away after each cleaning session. Personally, after a bit of experimentation, I've found that changing the fluid after every four discs gives best results.

Thanks for the advice Bretty, but I've already ordered some Isopropyl on ebay. Also bought Ilfotol as that was what JD recommended.

One tip from me, when I was using the Disco mixture, I found that even after filtering it, the liquid turned brown. So my wife suggested using a coffee filter, and it cleaned the liquid right up, amazing.

Only problem was it was painfully slow

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:bretty:mitch65:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the advice Bretty, but I've already ordered some Isopropyl on ebay. Also bought Ilfotol as that was what JD recommended.

One tip from me, when I was using the Disco mixture, I found that even after filtering it, the liquid turned brown. So my wife suggested using a coffee filter, and it cleaned the liquid right up, amazing.

Only problem was it was painfully slow

Ah, ok, no probs.

I tried the coffee filter on the original anti-stat fluid and, although the fluid looked clean to the eye after passing through the filter, it still had enough dirt in it to contaminate discs.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

That's a shame, I've just ordered 100, and I don't drink coffee.

Do you throw your used liquid away then?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Anybody want 100 coffee filters, they've just arrived

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

Anybody want 100 coffee filters, they've just arrived

Yeah, I throw the fluid after every four discs. But then, my DIY fluid is only 80p a litre. If I was putting the expensive stuff into it, i'd probably more inclined to keep it for longer and persevere with the filtering. Maybe doubling up on the coffee filters would help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts