Bargain record cleaning machine.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
does this make your records sound £500 better i think its expensive !
I could not justify that rather spend that on a better deck.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

does this make your records sound £500 better i think its expensive !
I could not justify that rather spend that on a better deck.
Define expensive, as a one off purchase £500 is a lot of money to splash on a cleaning machine, no doubt about that. But, if you have a collection of 250 LP’s and plan to clean each one and any new purchases the overall cost quickly drops below a couple of quid per LP.

The real question for me is whether £499 on the new VC-S3 is value for money compared to the VC-E2 which is £349.

I have a Knosti cleaning machine, it does get some light crud off but some of my older LP’s could do with a better clean, the other issue with my Knosti is that any muck you get off the first LP sits in the fluid whilst you clean the next LP, and the next and so on, it is possible that the muck of those first LP’s you clean ends up on the LP’s you clean later.

In this last situation the VC-S3 or any other variant clears the liquid away before you clean the next LP. A bit more research to do but reasonably confident that I’ll add something along the lines of a VC-?? in the next few weeks.

If you have the patience, which I don’t think I do, then this really is a bargain…

Reactions: npxavar

Oxfordian

If you have the patience, which I don’t think I do, then this really is a bargain…

This is similar to my Knosti, and whilst I'm sure that they do a reasonable job the air drying and washing an LP in a liquid containing muck from a previous clean no longer inspires me with confidence which is why something along the lines of a Pro-Ject record cleaner would seem to me to be a better bet.

In the Knosti's defence and I'm sure that the same applies to the Spincare version what they do is better than no cleaning being done, it just depends on what you want/expect and what fits your budget.

This is similar to my Knosti, and whilst I'm sure that they do a reasonable job the air drying and washing an LP in a liquid containing muck from a previous clean no longer inspires me with confidence which is why something along the lines of a Pro-Ject record cleaner would seem to me to be a better bet.

In the Knosti's defence and I'm sure that the same applies to the Spincare version what they do is better than no cleaning being done, it just depends on what you want/expect and what fits your budget.
Quite true. Anyone with a serious record collecting habit would be better off with an ultrasonic cleaner..

That's more appealing price wise. IMO anything over £50 is a rip off.

Oxfordian

That's one way of looking at it. I am lucky in that my nearest record store has a machine and will clean an album for a quid, which is why I only own a Knosti.....
My local record store replied when asked how they clean their secondhand LP's before putting out for sale, 'distilled water and a microfibre cloth', I wondered why the LP's I bought had more snap crackle and pop than a bowl of a certain breakfast cereal.

My nearest Hifi store is an hour away and they don't do any form of cleaning, my old HiFi dealer in Kent could clean them for me but it's one hell of a round trip.

Maybe I could start a LP cleaning service if I buy a RCM.

Reactions: Al ears
My local record store replied when asked how they clean their secondhand LP's before putting out for sale, 'distilled water and a microfibre cloth', I wondered why the LP's I bought had more snap crackle and pop than a bowl of a certain breakfast cereal.

My nearest Hifi store is an hour away and they don't do any form of cleaning, my old HiFi dealer in Kent could clean them for me but it's one hell of a round trip.

Maybe I could start a LP cleaning service if I buy a RCM.
Who knows, Vinyl collection appears to be on the up and, if second hand dealers cannot be bothered to clean whatever they buy and put up for sale, then it's a bad day.
If I buy second-hand stuff privately then I assume it hasn't been cleaned but if I buy from a dealer it would be nice to assume it had but perhaps that's expecting a bit much.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Who knows, Vinyl collection appears to be on the up and, if second hand dealers cannot be bothered to clean whatever they buy and put up for sale, then it's a bad day.
If I buy second-hand stuff privately then I assume it hasn't been cleaned but if I buy from a dealer it would be nice to assume it had but perhaps that's expecting a bit much.
I would have expected a record shop buying and selling secondhand vinyl to have a record cleaning machine, some of the 2nd hand stuff sells for a lot of money but to say that they just rub a wet cloth over the LP worries me a lot, it is certainly making me think carefully about what I buy from them.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts