Vinyl Record Cleaning / Fluid? Machine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bretty:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:
That's a shame, I've just ordered 100, and I don't drink coffee.

Anybody want 100 coffee filters, they've just arrived

Yeah, I throw the fluid after every four discs. But then, my DIY fluid is only 80p a litre. If I was putting the expensive stuff into it, i'd probably more inclined to keep it for longer and persevere with the filtering. Maybe doubling up on the coffee filters would help?

I think I'm going to use a 2- 3 bottle system, and clean the records 2 times, once with filtered liquid, then again with brand new.

Will be slow progress, but at least I'll have lovely clean records for my efforts

A

Anonymous

Ive used Iso solution in the past with great results.

However I then found a product called [EDITED BY MODS - house rules] which is fantastic and IMO better than alcohol alone..

Used the fluid with my discostat too which was very effective :)

a bottle of this goes a very long way too!

id love to get a keith monks machine one day though ; )

:poke:

[LINK REMOVED BY MODS - house rules]

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Since the Santoni bloke ressurected this thread... This guy's got quite a nice system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLGo5K5m_M

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Apologies for bumping an old thread (don't know if that's against etiquette here), but I've only just seen it. On this:
bretty said:
Don't bother buying any Isopropyl alcohol. It's expensive and doesn't help with the cleaning, it just helps the water dry faster. By missing the alcohol out, the DIY cleaning fluid is cheap enough to throw away after each cleaning session

I thought the main purpose of the alcohol was to act as a solvent for grease, making it easier to remove the solid particles of dirt. The same goes for the acid (spoonful of white vinegar) I use in my solution. I might be wrong here (going back to school chemistry), but I thought both acid and alcohol could help in this regard, and assumed that was why they were included. If so, it means that solid particles will be lifted off the vinyl surface more easily, and don't have to be 'dragged' off by the brushes, which could scratch the surface. It might also help dissolve the pressing release agent, which I'm finding to be an increasing problem on recent pressings, although I don't know the constituency of that agent, so can't say with any certainty.

I don't think distilled water alone is going to be so effective at cleaning records, at least not in every case (when there's grime rather than purely dust), although your experience appears to be different. If you're being really careful, a last wash in pure distilled water to remove any lingering traces of cleaning agents could be useful (although I haven't got round to doing this on my 700+ discs yet - hit the c.b.a. factor that floyd droid talked about).

wclough

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I hope what I'm going to say doesn't get me drummed out of this forum. I have tried antistatic guns in the past with limited success. I have also used velvet pads but static holds on to the dust. LPs I've had from new are mainly OK as I've kept them clean. When I have bought used say on ebay they are often very crackly. I run luke warm water into the sink with a few drops of Fairy. I then lightly splash the water over the record with my fingers and then run them clear under a running tap with luke warm water. I then place on newspaper to remove most of the drops of water. This leaves no fibres. I then stand on edge with both sides able to evaporate until try. Job done.

VRCsys

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
This thread started before the invention of RECORD REViRGiNiZER, surely the most effective method of removing everything from a vinyl record's grooves. Why? Because the liquid polymer first dissolves all oils, greases - and yes, even the mould release - grabs the particulate matter and then dries to a skin sealing all the crud in one package which you then peel off - a face mask for records.

The problem with a cleaning method involving a liquid is that it simply suspends the matter in the record's groove in a solution; irrespective of the removal method it is impossible that all particulate matter will leave the record along with the liquid. Even as the last molecules of liquid are removed particles must inevitably be left behind. Quite possibly even the cleaning liquid itself is not 100% free of impurities in which case it only adds to the problem.

Recently, REViRGiNiZER has benefited from the advent of the VRC Turntable & Stack Rack system which not only makes its use easier but also reduces the cost by some 30%. Check it out at www.vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com.au

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
*pardon*

VRCsys said:
This thread started before the invention of RECORD REViRGiNiZER, surely the most effective method of removing everything from a vinyl record's grooves. Why? Because the liquid polymer first dissolves all oils, greases - and yes, even the mould release - grabs the particulate matter and then dries to a skin sealing all the crud in one package which you then peel off - a face mask for records.

The problem with a cleaning method involving a liquid is that it simply suspends the matter in the record's groove in a solution; irrespective of the removal method it is impossible that all particulate matter will leave the record along with the liquid. Even as the last molecules of liquid are removed particles must inevitably be left behind. Quite possibly even the cleaning liquid itself is not 100% free of impurities in which case it only adds to the problem.

Recently, REViRGiNiZER has benefited from the advent of the VRC Turntable & Stack Rack system which not only makes its use easier but also reduces the cost by some 30%. Check it out at www.vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com.au

londonguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
reading through this thread and saw the knosti recommended. I bought one recently and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. The records look gorgeously polished whilst drying but every single pop and crackle are still there when you play them again. Id advise anyone thinking of it to save their money.

iMark

londonguy said:
reading through this thread and saw the knosti recommended. I bought one recently and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. The records look gorgeously polished whilst drying but every single pop and crackle are still there when you play them again. Id advise anyone thinking of it to save their money.

I don't mean to be rude but did you turn the records around while they were in the Knosti bath? The brushes in the bath need to be able to do their magic.

Last year I cleaned some boxes with opera records from the 1950's and 60's for friends. Some records were very dirty and unplayable. After treatment in the Knosti there was a huge difference. I then digitized the records and the Vinyl Studio software was able to remove most cracks and pops. The CD's I consequently burned sound pretty good.

Obviously the Knosti can't repair damaged discs but dirt and traces of the dreaded Lencoclean can be removed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
iMark said:
londonguy said:

I don't mean to be rude but did you turn the records around while they were in the Knosti bath? The brushes in the bath need to be able to do their magic.

Last year I cleaned some boxes with opera records from the 1950's and 60's for friends. Some records were very dirty and unplayable. After treatment in the Knosti there was a huge difference. I then digitized the records and the Vinyl Studio software was able to remove most cracks and pops. The CD's I consequently burned sound pretty good.

Obviously the Knosti can't repair damaged discs but dirt and traces of the dreaded Lencoclean can be removed.

Must admit I'm getting increasingly annoyed with mine, I cleaned some records last night, I only played one of them so far this morning but it was still very noisy, I even did them by doing an initial scrub with water first and then a second go with the cleaning fluid. I'm happier to play them now because they look clean but I wish it was more effective. I do have an original Disco Anti-stat though, so I'm wondering if the brushes need replacing, they look fine but how would you tell? I don't even know if they can be replaced. I'm wondering whether to blow my wad on an Okki Nokki for a few hundred quid, does anyone have any experience with those? They look a bit "Bloody Stupid Johnson" compared to a Keith Monks* but I don't have the 3 grand required for a KM.

Obviously it's not going to have any effect on pops caused by scratches, it also can't help with greatest hits albums where too many tracks have been squeezed onto each side, the one I was playing barely had any runout groove space at all!

*I was playing poker in a local club the other night and noticed they had some Keith Monks speakers up on the walls, how old are they likely to be? *shok*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I can see your hackles are raised, so I'll try not to raise them further, but my Knosti has never failed to clean my records, and in some cases, it has transformed virtually unplayable records, to near mint gems.

I don't know your system, or what fluid you use, but here's what I use, and how I do it.

I have 2 separate 5 litre containers, one with filtered used fluid, one with clean unused fluid. If the records are very grubby, I give them a spin in the used fluid first, then when they are dry, I spin them again in the clean fluid.

My fluid is 4 parts distilled/de-ionised water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol (as pure as possible), and just a few drops of Ilfotol wetting agent. Despite what some people have said. never use tap water, I did once, and it almost ruined a couple of records.

I think I'm the only person who does the following, but I've found it does help remove any bits of dirt that might stay on on the record when you leave it to drain naturally. After I've turned the record for about 20 seconds in both directions, I remove the record (with the clamps still on) from the cleaning bath, and I place the spindle part of the clamp in to my drill, and tighten very carefully. I then spin the record on the fastest speed to remove all the fluid and bits, then remove the clamps and place the record to dry fully in the drying rack. I spin my records in my bathroom, but it's probably a good idea to do it outside to avoid annoying your partner/wife etc.

Rather than using the supplied filtering system, I filter my fluid with a funnel and coffee filters.

Obviously, records with lots of scratches will not see a huge improvement, and sometimes, some records will continue to pop and crackle, despite having no obvious marks; they're just badly pressed, and no amount of cleaning will improve them.

Good luck if you want to give it another go.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
I do have an original Disco Anti-stat though, so I'm wondering if the brushes need replacing, they look fine but how would you tell? I don't even know if they can be replaced

As far as I can see, you have to buy a replacement bath with brushes.

I had a lot of dried dirt in the bottom of my Knosti bath (next to the brushes), so it's worth getting a cotton bud and giving it a good clean and rinse through.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
londonguy said:

Hmm, that's odd. Mine has made spectacular differences in my dirty old second-hand records. I can only think that either you're doing something 'wrong', or that your records weren't dirty but are scratched. No cleaning machine on earth will be able to get rid of scratches.

Have you been using the fluid supplied with the Knosti? That is not recommended, as it apparently leaves a residue, which can't help the noise levels. Use a home-made solution instead - there are various formulae recommended on this forum.

Honestly, you should be getting excellent results from records where the noise is produce by dirt. I'd recommend trying to do things in different ways until you find something which works. Unless of course your records are scratched, in which case you might as well give up.

If you're talking about new vinyl, I find that a lot of current pressings are sub-standard and have noise on them. There's nothing that can be done about this.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree: warm water, 2 drops ( no more) of washing-up liquid in a kitchen sink, a microfibre cloth and I dry them on an old light blue (it has to be light blue) t-shirt. You don't have to rinse them either, although it doesn't hurt. Occasionally, one or two crackle a little on first play, but the stylus removes the muck and they sound fine when played again. I suppose it depends on your local water quality too. It's always a good idea to have more than one stylus though; one for best and a a few for playing warped or scratchy records...or ones you've just cleaned.

This method of cleaning was the way used to do it er, 'back in the day' and I guess I'm showing my age. Sometimes I think people bother more about their equipment, inner sleeves and cleaning processes than they do about listening to the music. All part of the fun though...and the pain.

Deck_wizard

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Some great cleaning methods there but if you simply cant be bothered or dont have time to make your own then I would recommend Clear Groove. Its been my weapon of choice for years and never let me down even on very soiled records.

Ive tried a few of the others with mixed results over the years but always end up wishing I stuck with Clear Groove!

what do people use to clean there stylus? to be honest I never really gave that much attention and just blow the dust away from time to time as necessary, and how about this turntable oil you can get? is it just for vintage models?

any help appreciated

K

keeper of the quays

Deck_wizard said:
Some great cleaning methods there but if you simply cant be bothered or dont have time to make your own then I would recommend Clear Groove. Its been my weapon of choice for years and never let me down even on very soiled records.

Ive tried a few of the others with mixed results over the years but always end up wishing I stuck with Clear Groove!

what do people use to clean there stylus? to be honest I never really gave that much attention and just blow the dust away from time to time as necessary, and how about this turntable oil you can get? is it just for vintage models?

any help appreciated

there's a little pot of gunk you can get..it looks like axle grease! Lol..you just dip your stylus into it before playing. .i have no idea what it's called though..

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Normal little stylus brush for getting rid of any dust in the cantilever recess etc.
Carbon brush for the stylus itself.
Ultrasonic Carbon Brush for where they've been returned from customers and dragged through honey/mud/varnish/beer etc etc

stylus_cleaning.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts