Vinyl not warm. Tepid at best.

F

FunkyMonkey

Recently got given a budget turntable. Bought an album.

Did not get warmth of vinyl.

Explain.

I have been deliberately vague to illicit all possible reasons without biassing responses by giving clues.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:

Explain.

I have been deliberately vague to illicit all possible reasons without biassing responses by giving clues.

vinyl warmth is a myth and any decent deck shouldn't sound warm. Or were you trying to elicit a more illicit response?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:

Explain.

?

ID. said:
FunkyMonkey said:

Explain.

vinyl warmth is a myth and any decent deck shouldn't sound warm. Or were you trying to elicit a more illicit response?

Probably, and possibly the reason he has posted this in the wrong place... :)

Says he ducking away swiftly from any reply..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gentle heat with a hairdryer on coolest setting improves the sense of warmth. Nice and even though you don't want to melt it or warp it.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I can't explain anything when I don't know what album, TT, arm, cart, phono stage, TT support, amplification, speakers, room is being used.

lindsayt said:
I can't explain anything when I don't know what album, TT, arm, cart, phono stage, TT support, amplification, speakers, room is being used.

"I have been deliberately vague to illicit all possible reasons "

Agree he is not going to get any reasons without providing the info you suggest.

F

FunkyMonkey

lindsayt said:
Correct answer. Thanks.

F

FunkyMonkey

Point being, all other things being equal, the medium of vinyl is not intrinsically warmer.
Therefore, the experience of playing a vinyl record has nothing to do with sound but everything to do with the action.

Still have not bought my second vinyl record.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
Point being, all other things being equal, the medium of vinyl is not intrinsically warmer. Therefore, the experience of playing a vinyl record has nothing to do with sound but everything to do with the action.

So you convinced me that you convinced yourself that records are not worth bothering with.

End of story? (Hopefully)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
To the OP - vinyl is not for you, quit now

btw vinyl is anything but warm - immersive involving yes !

To those in the know, well they know

People attempting to replicate the passion in someone else's life barely ever works anyway unless there is a genuine interest in the matter !

Obviously your budget TT and the rest of your system have let you down

drummerman said:
FunkyMonkey said:
Point being, all other things being equal, the medium of vinyl is not intrinsically warmer. Therefore, the experience of playing a vinyl record has nothing to do with sound but everything to do with the action.

So you convinced me that you convinced yourself that records are not worth bothering with.

End of story? (Hopefully)

+1

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
So it's not for you...sell up and buy some CDs or downloads.
stevebrock said:
People attempting to replicate the passion in someone else's life barely ever works anyway unless there is a genuine interest in the matter !
^^Exactly this

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You bought a budget turntable with a high noise floor, probably didn't clean the record and it was a record from HMVs represses that has been mastered entirely from mp3s. Also you used a £5 phono stage off amazon. There ya go.

Buy Weezer - Blue Album on MFSL USA pressing and a decent phono stage then report back.

Buy a "budget" CD player, get a budget sound.

buy a "budget" turntable, get your money's worth.

Same goes for amp, phono stage, speakers, and anything else you expect magic from for a couple of quid.

Nobody would buy a red budget car and expect it to perform like a Ferrari.

If you want quality, spend some money.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
[So it's not for you...sell up and buy some CDs or downloads.
stevebrock said:

Nah, go the whole hog. Go to Currys, buy a cheap MP3 player (not an ipod - they're too good), then go to the local petrol station and buy some cheap ear buds...

F

FunkyMonkey

So anyway, the detail was surprisingly good on Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers album.
The record was fresh out of packet, the turntable dust free to the naked eye.
Wiped the needle gently with the duster too.
So detail was pretty good, and virtually no pops.
It was a trial to hear the warmth.
Maybe my misunderstanding. Even budget turntable reviews on Amazon say they sound richer than CD.
I thought vinyl would be inherently warmer. Guess not. Not that I'm striving for that warm sound. SACD gives it me in spades, just the software that's lacking these days for popular music.

I also dug out my old Yamaha tape deck and I had forgotten how good well made tapes can sound.
Having said all that, if there are records that are not available on other formats, or they have been recorded in analogue....Blunderbuss by Jack White....I will be opting for vinyl.

Heck, I may even buy into the snobby notion that I need to spend a weeks wages on a deck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts