Views on Cambridge 351r AV, and compares to Marantz NR1504

Danhorse

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I just got an open box Cambridge 351r for my modest HT with mission M3 speakers. I did a lot of research and many raved about the good sound on this unit. I am finding it very dark, and with the meaty, rich sound it has - too warm and muffled with speech especially. I am sure the Mission M3s are not helping here as they are warm (though i thought the pairing would work as i have a Cambridge stereo amp that sounds great with them). So, I am after experiences, thoughts, ideas on whether this characteristic can be corrected with brighter speakers and whether you have any issues with the dark nature i am hearing - not enough air or sparkle. Also, I would be very grateful if anyone with experience of both can comment on the differences in sound quality between the C351r and Marantz NR1504, which i can change this for at the store but cannot audition it there. I am wary of swapping it for the Marantz only to find its a step down in sound quality in other departments. To note: I am limited to slimline amps due to space restraints. Any help much appreciated.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the settings on your amp? AV- amps can be quite difficult to set up. I don't know your amp but most amps use a set up microphone (audyssee). If your amp has one try to run it late in the evenening when the house and its surroundings are quiet. If it doesn't try to set the bass settings to neutral. hope this helps.

Peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts