Very interesting demo today...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

al7478:But I'm being slightly mischevious. If I had a bigger place* I'd consider a sub and probably try one if i could get past the nuissance of changing the level all the time according to the appropriate listening level on that day, at that time...

Err, surely the sub output on the AVIs is variable, so that once you've got the sub level set up correctly the sub volume will just go up and down with the speaker volume?

yes

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:the_lhc:

al7478:But I'm being slightly mischevious. If I had a bigger place* I'd consider a sub and probably try one if i could get past the nuissance of changing the level all the time according to the appropriate listening level on that day, at that time...

Err, surely the sub output on the AVIs is variable, so that once you've got the sub level set up correctly the sub volume will just go up and down with the speaker volume?

yes

Right you are chaps. Sorry. I'm a subwoofer ignoramous who should not make assumptions.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:the_lhc:

yes

Does this apply to any sub one might use with them?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:drummerman:the_lhc:al7478:But I'm being slightly mischevious. If I had a bigger place* I'd consider a sub and probably try one if i could get past the nuissance of changing the level all the time according to the appropriate listening level on that day, at that time...

yes

Does this apply to any sub one might use with them?

Not sure it's possible to answer that question definitively, there are an awful lot of subs out there, but it's not dependant on the sub, it depends on the sub output of whatever the sub is plugged into, provided that output is variable (ie goes up and down with the volume control) then this will apply.

It'd be a major PITA if you had to change the sub volume every time you turned the amp up or down. It'd be unusable in fact.

JohnDuncan:Simon Lucas:

JohnDuncan:The bass on the AVIs was not so much subdued as totally absent, and the PMCs were not much better

emotion-8.gif

Bass-wise. They were better speakers (obviously).

From memory, in pure SQ terms, how do the PMC actives compare to standard DB1S? When I tested them with my Arc the bass response was impressive for the cabinet size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts