Very interesting demo today...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

Ooo, I'm probably allowed to talk about it now aren't I.

Of this month's 'active' speaker group test, I heard the three five star ones - the Aktimate Maxi, the AVIs and the PMCs. And the results surprised me...

A

Anonymous

John then don't leave us all hanging which would you? Don't be shy SPIT it OUT!!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:JohnDuncan:I'd buy the Aktimate Maxis.
That's a pity.

They look tacky.

I'd be more bothered by the lack of an optical or coaxial input, there's clearly a DAC in there and a USB connection (but no mention on the website of what formats they can handle), so not offer a digital input seems to be a big oversight.

John Duncan

Right. The issue with both the PMCs and the AVIs was bass roll-off. Now I know what they'll all say over there but hey, they're my ears. The bass on the AVIs was not so much subdued as totally absent, and the PMCs were not much better - certainly compared to when I had my own pair, so admittedly there could be room variables at work. Both the PMCs and AVIs did the other stuff brilliantly (timing in particular) and the Aktimates were definitely less organised and messier, but the lack of bass totally sucked the enjoyment out of the other two, whilst the Aktimates added a bit of bass warmth and made it sound more like music.

From this I'm surmising that either of the AVI or PMC would be fabulous with a sub, but there wasn't one so couldn't take a view - so I'm guessing I'd rather have the AVIs with a sub over the PMCs on their own, and the PMCs with a sub would just be stupid money - I could buy some serious knobs with that
emotion-2.gif

But in isolation, the order went Aktimates, PMCs, AVI.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with you about the AVI's, they need a sub and thats how I used them. I get the mag today but what did you think of the Dynaudio Focus 110A's. I thought they were very musical.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Right. The issue with both the PMCs and the AVIs was bass roll-off. Now I know what they'll all say over there but hey, they're my ears. The bass on the AVIs was not so much subdued as totally absent...

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Still, many agree with you. They're wrong too
emotion-4.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
But I'm being slightly mischevious. If I had a bigger place* I'd consider a sub and probably try one if i could get past the nuissance of changing the level all the time according to the appropriate listening level on that day, at that time...

*I can only think of a couple of places to put it and being a wheelchair user im not sure those places would afford me access to connections and switches...

Have i started to waffle yet?

Anyone?

Where are you...?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In my place, with Darren's 9.1's we used my Ruark Vita 50. Puny power on paper but it added just the necessery underpinning in a fast way. I remember him telling me '' ... dont switch it off'' when I was about to. Really made a big difference. He was happy with them until then but I believe he bought a sub soon after.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
See, I've been interested in the 9.1s for a while, but as it would mean selling everything except my sources, it's a big step.

John - how accurate were the Akti's in comparison with your N5s?

John Duncan

drummerman:I agree with you about the AVI's, they need a sub and thats how I used them. I get the mag today but what did you think of the Dynaudio Focus 110A's. I thought they were very musical.

Didn't hear them, they were at the bottom of the pile and time was short.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:But I'm being slightly mischevious. If I had a bigger place* I'd consider a sub and probably try one if i could get past the nuissance of changing the level all the time according to the appropriate listening level on that day, at that time...

Err, surely the sub output on the AVIs is variable, so that once you've got the sub level set up correctly the sub volume will just go up and down with the speaker volume?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts