using sonos connect to provide internet access for sky box

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
1- i admit i'm not the most technically gifted :boohoo:

2- as a typical male i don't always read the manual :shhh:

anyway, in the usual drive to remove excess boxes to please the boss, i realised that the Sky 'transmitter' which is used to connect my Skybox to the internet is not needed. I have a ZP90 connected to the av receiver to listen to music in the lounge, and i noticed it had an ethernet 'out' port. After connecting the sky box to this, i actually have a more stable sky on demand service than when i used the 'official' transmitter box.

one less box on the rack, one less plug socket needed and nore importantly a couple of extra points from her that must be obeyed :cheer:

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the reply;

i suppose i knew i could wire another device through the sonos, but I had assumed that was if the sonos was 'hardwired'. What i'm not clear on is whether the zp90 is allowing the sky box to access the internet through my wifi signal or the 'sonos mesh'. Either way, it's one less box needed and two less green lights below the telly. It might be my imagination, but it seems more reliable than the sky receiver i was using.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sonos completely ignores your home wi-fi, unless they're set to the same channel, in which case they'll interfere badly but presumably that's not the case for you, otherwise you'd be complaining, so it's sending everything over its own mesh network.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was more reliable than the sky thing but be aware Sonos will prioritize its own traffic over anything else so if you're listening to music you might find downloading a tv show on the sky box might take a bit longer.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
thanks for that clarification:clap: ; you're right i have wifi and sonos set to different channels.

I'll look out for 'prioritisation' issues, but i doubt i ever download sky on demand progs at the same time as listening to music. I have a few ZP90s around the house, and am now experimenting removing the homeplugs i use for a couple of PCs, and wiring them to the sonos boxes instead. It could free up a couple of homeplugs for other machines. I don't have a house full of people using all the equipment at the same time, so it could be succesfull

thanks for the info

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've done it.

Brilliant, brilliant. In fact I had an on demand documentary running, whilst listening to Spotify on the same ZP90.

Part of my streamlining. I've gone from 11 plugs to 7. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts