How To Connect sonos beam to pana px80 or sky hd box?

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thinking of purchasing a sonos beam for a 2008 panasonic TH-42px80 which does not have an arc enabled HDMI port. It only has standard rca audio out (red and white). I mainly use a 2TB sky+ HD box for my viewing. What would be the best way to connect a beam? Some options could include:
  1. Connect optical (toslink) on sky box to optical on beam (optical to optical)
  2. Connect rca audio out from TV to HDMI on beam (using rca to hdmi converter)
  3. Connect rca audio out from TV to optical on beam (using rca to optical converter)
If option 1, how would I control volume using a sky remote?
If option 2&3, and recommendation for a converter make and model?

scene

Would option 1 be the only one to preserve the 'surround Sound' signal?
Yes.
But you would only get amplified sound when using the sky box as the source, not when using Freeview, say. But probably that's not too much of an issue. You'll be limited to basic 5.1 Dolby surround sound.

You could use Alexa/Google to change the volume on the beam, you'd have to mute the TV volume.

Options 2&3 will give you stereo

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Yes.
But you would only get amplified sound when using the sky box as the source, not when using Freeview, say. But probably that's not too much of an issue. You'll be limited to basic 5.1 Dolby surround sound.

You could use Alexa/Google to change the volume on the beam, you'd have to mute the TV volume.

Options 2&3 will give you stereo

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I thought so, thanks for confirming. I’ve just ordered an amazon tv cube to ‘smart’ up the pana.... i’m assuming i can connect the cube to the beam via hdmi.?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts