USB to SPDIF to read Audio files from Synology NAS

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I will buy a Synology in order to store and read FLAC files through the iTunes client. I thought that I had to buy an Apple TV3 (which I did) or Airport Express to transfer the files to the hifi amp, but I understand from some topics in the forum that this is not needed, as a USB to SPDIF adapter will suffice and will even provide a better sound quality. Can anyone confirm that? are all the USB to SPDIF adapters the same? which brand would you advise? does it matter if it is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

Many thanks for your help

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
just fyi, you can't play flac through itunes. Itunes uses it's own version of flac, so you'd either have to convert or re-rip.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
just fyi, you can't play flac through itunes. Itunes uses it's own version of flac, so you'd either have to convert or re-rip.

Hi,

You are right, I will convert them. Which format is the nearest to FLAC quality?

Thank you

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ALAC is apple's version of Flac. If you're running a mac https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder is a pretty good convertor for it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i don't know the rest of your system, do you have a external DAC with USB input? Or your DAC has only a SPDIF?

if your DAC has a USB input you will not need to convert your existing FLAC files, just plug the NAS through the USB on the back, instal the DS Audio APP in your ithing, select USB speakers and off you go!

You will not need to have the PC on to control itunes and if all the music will be stored in the NAS why control it with another program from another suplier?

If you DAC doesn't have USB input you can always buy one of this.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I don't have a DAC. What I will have is an SPDIF input in the hifi amp.

I think that I can play FLAC with DS Audio which is available with the Synology. So no need to convert the files

I have seen a lot of USB to SPDIF adapters that go from a price of 20€ to 400€ :O . So I think that there must be a difference between them. Which one would you recommend? my budget is limited to 100-150€

I'm also wondering if I have to buy a Synology with USB2 or USB3. Does it have an impact on sound quality?

Thank you

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If your amp has a SPDIF input it has a built in DAC, ds audio station supports all sort of audio codec at least the most known, it supports flac, hi-res play back bit perfect as well.

The M2TECH is around that value, 130€-150€.

and it doesn't matter if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts