USB cables with rdac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there anyone who has tried more expensive usb cables with the rdac? Higher quality usb cables reduce jitter but as the rdac is asynchronous the clocking is done by the rdac & not the computer, so I'm wondering how much affect if any, different usb cables can have. I don't have an rdac I have just bought a Musical Fidelity v-link (asynchronous usb to S/PDIF converter) and I am a bit underwhelmed compared with the optical out on the motherboard. I don't want to spend any cash on an expensive usb cable if there is not going to be much difference in the sound.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't comment on the USB cable, except that I have a Wireworld Ultraviolet bought used off _bay that works fine, but where did you get your MF V-Link from? Seems there is no stock in some places until May now - I did have one on order but have given up.

Edit: sourced one that I can pick up tomorrow. Couple of online places still saying "pre order" or available in May though.

A

Anonymous

I bought the v-link at www.lintone.co.uk. Have you compared your Wireworld Ultraviolet with a standard usb cable to compare? (assuming you are using an asychronous usb device)

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Not using asynchronous - as you might have guessed, since I've been trying to get hold of a V-link, I wouldn't be bothering otherwise! I have now sourced one in SW London, picking up tomorrow. But no, I haven't compared cables, the UV was almost half price and does me fine.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi shakyfromwakey sorry that I am answering as you could probably take my answers with a pinch of salt as I sell these products but yes I have tried the rDAC with expensive USB leads, VERY expensive USB leads namely our demo AQ Coffee and there was a difference but I wouldn't say the difference was night and day, more very slight differences. Not as night and day as non async and async transfer. Personally I think value for money wise if you wished some advancement but didn't want to spend the earth then the Forest or Cinnamon would be a good option.

PS on a side note? Why on earth does no one have v-links till May, we have many left.

A

Anonymous

I use a standard USB cable to connect my net book to My DAC and it's excellent. There is simply no need for expensive USB cables. Buy something cool like music with the saved cash.

D

A

Anonymous

Thanks CustomCable your thoughts are similar to what I was thinking. The v-link instructions recommend a quality usb cable so I will try a forest just to eliminate any possible data transfer hitch from a freebie usb cable - I will buy one from you for your kind advice. On digital cables I have 3 optical cables, a tci, qed & belkin and they do sound different, not much between qed & tci but the belkin sounds the worst.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Just like to say thanks to Phil from Custom Cable and Unilet for his warm welcome and help today - it was great to have a look round and see some products in the flesh for the first time.

Highly recommend a visit if you live in London or not far.

A

Anonymous

Received the audioquest forest usb 1.5m today. That was quick, nice one custom cable. There was a noticeable improvement straight away but overall I was still not that impressed with the sound. I was using my 3 metre QED Qunex OT Optical Cable but as the usb cable was 1.5 metres I could move the v-link closer to my amp & try my 1 metre atlas compass coaxial lead. The sound improved a lot with the atlas lead. Compared to my dvd player (conected with analogue interconnects) the sound is a bit clinical and lacks some warmth & musicality (which some people may prefer) but when I tried the atlas with my dvd player the same could be said to some extent. The musical fidelity v-link is now sounding something like I was expecting before I bought it so thumbs up for the v-link, a great device and a steal for £99. If it wasn't for the usb cable being 1.5 metres (I would have bought a 0.75 metre if custom cable had one) then I would have never been able to try the atalas cable so what a great buy the usb cable has been.

A

Anonymous

i went from a belkin gold usb to a wireworld ultraviolet and i gotta admit there was barely any difference at all. Build quality is much better, cable is flat, but apart from that i wouldn't bother.

A

Anonymous

Ditto...I agree totally with JezBaker

I went from a Belkin Pro at £2 on ebay to Wireworld Starlight at circa £100...I can't detect a difference audibly...Save your money
smiley-wink.gif
IMHO....Wireworld is better built to be fair.

A

Anonymous

Thanks JezBaker & w2s. I only had a freebie type usb cable to try where you had higher quality belkin usb cables. This is good to know for anyone looking to get a usb asynchronous device, just get a quality usb cable rather than an audiophile one. The Beresford TC-7520 says it reclocks the usb data & the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DAC-2 is asynchronous. After a few days with the v-link I'm very impressed playing flac files on J River media centre.

A

Anonymous

USB cables can transmit data at upto 480Mb/s for USB2. It can certainly transmit at 1.4Mb/s (cd rate) without error.

Otherwise ur external USB HD would never work at the higher speeds.
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS