USB cable group test

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
:rofl: In the space of just 2 pages, we have 5 people use the word "nonsense"... bigboss, Covenanter, ReValveiT, TrevC and frOg. You guys really need to get a life. What a bunch of sad guys trying to feel important on a forum

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
:rofl: In the space of just 2 pages, we have 5 people use the word "nonsense"... bigboss, Covenanter, ReValveiT, TrevC and frOg. You guys really need to get a life. What a bunch of sad guys trying to feel important on a forum

I'm sorry but I have this compelling need to call a spade a spade.

Perhaps if you took a bit of time trying to find out how things actually work rather than just depending on the opinions of others you might come to realise that the foo fighters know what they are talking about?

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:

Haha.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
spiny norman said:
And BTW don't the threads linked to above re discussion of this piece actually refer to the test HFN did of USB cables last year?

Yup those threads above were discussions regarding last year's HFN group test and since it was so well received, HFN decided to do another one this year... to give the Nonsense Brigade another chance to build some self worth. I duly obliged by startiing this thread.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
hifikrazy said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

TrevC

hifikrazy said:

Pehaps it's you that could try getting a clue, if you are capable of it.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:

That's alright, I don't need to use words like nonsense and clueless to feel clever

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:

Why do these threads always descend into personal abuse?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Memory is a 2 state thing represented with 0 and 1.

The dac reads a serie of 0101010110 into its own 2-state memory buffer.

What transmits down the cable is not a load of 1's and 0's. It is an electrical signal. A digital representation of an analogue wave converted in to a voltage.

If you don't fully understand the science then don't comment. It only give them ammunition!

TrevC

spiny norman said:
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:

Why do these threads always descend into personal abuse?

Considering the abuse he's dished out I think I'm being very restrained.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
10151159_661447207236403_3284294366318211055_n.jpg

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
My USB cable was dirt cheap. Nowt. I was throwing out an old printer. That drives a USB/SPDIF converter board, 10 metres of screened mike cable to a 24/192 DAC board. Did it coz I was told it couldn't work. Works a treat. :p

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
hifikrazy said:

Nonsense :)

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
pyrrhon said:
Memory is a 2 state thing represented with 0 and 1.

The dac reads a serie of 0101010110 into its own 2-state memory buffer.

What transmits down the cable is not a load of 1's and 0's. It is an electrical signal. A digital representation of an analogue wave converted in to a voltage.

If you don't fully understand the science then don't comment. It only give them ammunition!

Im a senior software ingeneer and do understand all that. You just missed my point that its a binary state buffer that feed the dac and what happen before is irrelevant. Just read again !

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you have a properly designed asynchronous DAC, with galvanic isolation, then a digital source outputting a bit-perfect signal will send exactly the same data via USB as it would if the signal were passed through the heavenly ether by God’s own hand.

This is because the USB’s square-toothed voltage goes through a differentiator, which means that any (measurable!) variations in the actual voltage of the signal are irrelevant. Also the accuracy of the data passed through the USB cable is validated by a cyclic redundancy checker. If there's a problem with the data, it'll be resent until it's correct.

All USB cables have to meet this spec, and the designers of the USB spec got things right. There's a good reason why USB has become such a popular medium for digital data.

:cheers:

Matt

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
They have included graphs for each cable plotting Vpk on the Y-Axis and nsec on the X-Axis and those graphs do indicate clear differences. I have no scientific knowledge to understand what those graphs show, but it seems to indicate that there are measurable differences, contrary to the foo fighters claims on this forum.

Of course cables measure differently, who said they didn't? The question is whether the difference impacts the sound quality.

I am afraid that this is one of the questionable marketing tricks used by the less reputable firms - select a technical sounding parameter, explain (truthfully) that your cable/mat/transformer/plinth reduces/increases this parameter and then imply that this improves the sound.

I haven't read the HFN article, but I will buy a copy tomorrow and see what they have to say.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Did P.Miller head this test?

I haven't read it but the guy is not stupid. He has designed industry standard measuring equipment/software and I remember well when he reviewed some super expensive speaker cable with 'active' components. After measuring it he casually mentioned he'd be sticking with silver plated copper.

regards

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
There are people who claim to hear differences between uncompressed and lossless files, when in fact there is mathamatically no difference whatsoever.

Think about that. They hear a difference, yet there is no difference. So in reality they cannot actually be hearing any difference. Right?

Their brains are being fooled by what they expect to hear. Exactly the same as this USB cable 'nonsense'.

You, me, EVERYBODY can easily be fooled by what we expect to hear. It's just fact.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts