USB cable group test

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
A group test of 10 USB cables in the July issue of Hi-Fi News & Record Review.

Some extracts:

This time last year, HFN ran a ground-breaking group test revealing audible and measurable differences between USB cables.

With the experience of last year’s USB cable group test already under our collective hat, we began 2014’s digital voyage with a degree of expectation. And we were not disappointed, for the differences between this crop of proprietary USB cables were no less audible.

They have included graphs for each cable plotting Vpk on the Y-Axis and nsec on the X-Axis and those graphs do indicate clear differences. I have no scientific knowledge to understand what those graphs show, but it seems to indicate that there are measurable differences, contrary to the foo fighters claims on this forum.

TrevC

hifikrazy said:

Some extracts:

This time last year, HFN ran a ground-breaking group test revealing audible and measurable differences between USB cables.

With the experience of last year’s USB cable group test already under our collective hat, we began 2014’s digital voyage with a degree of expectation. And we were not disappointed, for the differences between this crop of proprietary USB cables were no less audible.

They have included graphs for each cable plotting Vpk on the Y-Axis and nsec on the X-Axis and those graphs do indicate clear differences. I have no scientific knowledge to understand what those graphs show, but it seems to indicate that there are measurable differences, contrary to the foo fighters claims on this forum.

Hifi news is full of fantasists. I wouldn't pay them and their nonsense any mind.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Like this

graph10.jpg

chebby said:
hifikrazy said:
They provided graphs plotting Vpk against nsec, whatever that means

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/sinewave-voltage-conversion.htm

An 'nsec' is a nanosecond or one billionth of a second.

:rofl:

So human hearing should distinguish differences in 1 billionth of a second to notice a perceptible difference!!

As one member on Pink Fish puts it: That would be like assuming my photos would transfer off my camera looking more bright and vibrant with a better cable. Which is absolute nonsense. The file either gets to the other end or it doesn't. There aren't shades grey with this kind of technology.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
That would be like assuming my photos would transfer off my camera looking more bright and vibrant with a better cable. Which is absolute nonsense. The file either gets to the other end or it doesn't. There aren't shades grey with this kind of technology.

So what should I use for printing my black & white photos?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ooh, I'm thrilled! I've got a hunch that by the end of this thread, we will finally know the truth about cables!

:bounce: :dance: :cheer: :cheers:

hifikrazy said:

Some extracts:

So come on, come on and tell us who won.....

...nah don't bother I've read it. :O

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This is just typical nonsense that shows a complete misunderstanding of how digital signals are used!

I'm sure there are differences in the peak voltages between cables, in fact I'd be amazed if there weren't. However with digital signals all that is being transmitted are 1's and 0's and a 1 that is slightly bigger or smaller than another 1 is still a 1. This is why digital signals are very resistent to interference. Of course if the cable is so rubbish that is converts 0's to 1's or vice versa then there will be a real signal difference. If not there won't be and indeed there can't be.

Chris

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Memory is a 2 state thing represented with 0 and 1.

Data does not pass from Point A to B, its only the state that is set at point B so no matter how many times you do the copy, it does not affect anything. Bits dont get inverted ! There is the parity bit check and many other proven ways to insure data integrity. The usb cable or wifi or ethernet cable are just ways to copy 2 states data from A to B. That why its been told 10 000 times that usb, optical, coax, hdmi cables make no difference.

The dac reads a serie of 0101010110 into its own 2-state memory buffer.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
Hifi news is full of fantasists. I wouldn't pay them and their nonsense any mind.

[/quote]

TrevC said:
I've no intention of buying that mag, so perhaps you could list precisely what it is that they have measured.

I wouldn't pay it any attention, not that I've read it, and I won't buy it so please tell me what it said. ;-)

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's a more practical test for HiFi News:

1) Take any standard £10 USB CD drive.

2) Use it to rip a track several times with your various 'wonder' USB cables, and the cheapest USB cable you can find.

3) Compare each file using a 'null' test.

4) Realise they are absolutely, completely, and mathamatically identical and you've wasted a few hours of your life comparing USB cables.

5) Think about what a fool you've been and make a promise to yourself that you'll stop spreading nonsense all over the internet.

TrevC

ReValveiT said:
Here's a more practical test for HiFi News:

1) Take any standard £10 USB CD drive.

2) Use it to rip a track several times with your various 'wonder' USB cables, and the cheapest USB cable you can find.

3) Compare each file using a 'null' test.

4) Realise they are absolutely, completely, and mathamatically identical and you've wasted a few hours of your life comparing USB cables.

5) Think about what a fool you've been and make a promise to yourself that you'll stop spreading nonsense all over the internet.

:cheers:

TrevC

spiny norman said:
TrevC said:

TrevC said:
I've no intention of buying that mag, so perhaps you could list precisely what it is that they have measured.

I wouldn't pay it any attention, not that I've read it, and I won't buy it so please tell me what it said. ;-)

[/quote]

Me neither!!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
This is just typical nonsense that shows a complete misunderstanding of how digital signals are used!

I'm sure there are differences in the peak voltages between cables, in fact I'd be amazed if there weren't. However with digital signals all that is being transmitted are 1's and 0's and a 1 that is slightly bigger or smaller than another 1 is still a 1. This is why digital signals are very resistent to interference. Of course if the cable is so rubbish that is converts 0's to 1's or vice versa then there will be a real signal difference. If not there won't be and indeed there can't be.

Chris

Exactly!

This is a bit like saying that the cherry veneer on one speaker is lighter than on another, thus there is a possible difference to the sound.

Utter nonsense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts