Upgrading stylus/cartridge on Project Debut 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Project Debut 2 turntable, about 8 years old now. I sometimes get annoying harshness of records where it sounds thin, and slightly distorted. happens on some records more than others.

I have an Ortofon OM5e cartridge.

Anyway, I'm wondering what my options are. Can I change the stylus/cartridge? I've heard I can put an OM10 stylus in the exisitng cartridge, or a OM2 red cartridge?

The debut 2 is pretty limited: there is no adjustable tracking weight thing, but it does have a weight that hangs on a string...

Any help/advice on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris.

Try and re-weight the arm. Not familar with tracking weights on the Debut but if it has, for example, a minimum of 1.5g and max of 5g then try it at 3g.

If there is no improvement I'd look at changing stylus.

Could make other suggestions but please try these first and see whether there's any difference in sound.

A

Anonymous

Hiya,

Thanks for the tip. I don't think it's possible to adjust the tracking weight on the Debut II. The weight at the end of the tonearm is fixed. The anti-skating weight (I think that's the weight on the end of the string) can be adjusted, but accoording to the manual it's correct. Weird.

lambda said:
Hiya,

Thanks for the tip. I don't think it's possible to adjust the tracking weight on the Debut II. The weight at the end of the tonearm is fixed. The anti-skating weight (I think that's the weight on the end of the string) can be adjusted, but accoording to the manual it's correct. Weird.

Is the stylus the original that came with the TT?

A

Anonymous

Yes! It's an OMB5e cartridge. A bought the TT back in 2002 !? It's been stored in my dad's shed, garage, various student digs + transported all over the country.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I put a 2M Red on mine, picked it mainly because the required weight is the same as the one that came with it (the same as yours probably), I even asked a Henley guy when I bought it (2010 Bristol Show) if that was correct and that I wouldn't have to adjust anything and he confirmed that. It sounds much better, however I'm not convinced it's aligned properly (it's difficult with the 2M, there's no parallel edges to align with the protractor) as there's some distortion in places on some disks. I should take it to someone to properly set it up but I think the nearest place is probably Exeter, which is a right faff.

A

Anonymous

Well I get slight distortion too, on some discs. Perhaps my cartridge has become misaligned? ...

Thinking of buying the OM10 stylus. There's one going (brand new) on 'the bay' for 7 quid. Still 6 days left on it though, but may be worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts