Upgrading QED Silver Anniversary Cable

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
My system comprises of an Arcam CD82 CD Player, Arcam A90 Amp and Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30 speakers. I am very happy with them (hurray).

The speakers were originally connected by using QED Silver Anniversary Biwire cable (not the XT version), but as time has gone by (a few house moves and the cable casing started to split), this has become QED Silver Anniversary cable! I do think in doing this the sound lost a little focus (only a tiny bit).

I would like to replace the speaker cable with something new cables. I do find the existing cables can be a tiny bit too bright with certain badly recorded CDs, although most of the time they are fine. I recently tried out some QED copper cable, which did lose this brightness but I didn't like the accompanying loss in "air" at the higher frequencies (and I felt the bass did not go as deep).

Does anyone have any experience of how the QED Silver Anniversary XT single wire, bi wire and XT300, XT350 and Revelation cables compare to the original Silver Anniversary? Would I be better paying for a better single wire rather than going for a biwire? Are there any other cables I should be considering?

I am hoping to find something that has the same depth of bass as my existing wires, but takes the slightest edge off the brightness and gives a bit more focus and clarity.

Many thanks.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Firstly, as you can see from my signature, I have to declare an interest.

Having said that, I thought I could usefully enter the discussion because I have actually listened to and compared all the cable you've listed.

Secondly, as a general rule, a single run of good speaker cable will deliver better performance than a run of equivalently priced bi-wire cable.

Lastly, 'Fatboyslimfast' is absolutely correct, "the same depth of bass as my existing wires, but takes the slightest
edge off the brightness and gives a bit more focus and clarity"
does indeed describe the sound of the Chord Silverscreen, as it does the QED SA-XT. However, even though they are both excellent cables, neither of them comes close to the performance of the new QED Revelation speaker cable, and that applies right across the frequency response.But of course it should be a lot better because, at £15/m it's two and a half times the price!

If you only want short lengths, you may think it worth taking a chance. But, if you want longer lengths, then your outlay could be considerable. This means, as always, it's down to individual choice -- and my advice would be to visit a decent dealer and either get a listen, or perhaps they may allow you to borrow their dem pair, when they are not using them. (they'll probably want you to leave a deposit until you return the cables).

Best regards and 'happy listening'
emotion-1.gif

Steve Reichert -- PR Manager, Armour Home (QED)

matthewpiano

Sound quality wise the QED SA is a decent cable but I never got on with it due to the poor jacket design. It is so easy to damage sections of cable, especially if trying to re-terminate.

I'm a big fan of Chord Company cables these days. I'm using Crimson between my CD and amp and am planning an upgrade from QED Micro to Chord Silverscreen in the New Year. I will, however, also give the QED Revelation a listen (and touch!!) to see whether I think its worth the additional outlay.

A

Anonymous

Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome:
Hi Peter,

Having said that, I thought I could usefully enter the discussion because I have actually listened to and compared all the cable you've listed.

Secondly, as a general rule, a single run of good speaker cable will deliver better performance than a run of equivalently priced bi-wire cable.

Lastly, 'Fatboyslimfast' is absolutely correct, "the same depth of bass as my existing wires, but takes the slightestedge off the brightness and gives a bit more focus and clarity" does indeed describe the sound of the Chord Silverscreen, as it does the QED SA-XT. However, even though they are both excellent cables, neither of them comes close to the performance of the new QED Revelation speaker cable, and that applies right across the frequency response.But of course it should be a lot better because, at £15/m it's two and a half times the price!

If you only want short lengths, you may think it worth taking a chance. But, if you want longer lengths, then your outlay could be considerable. This means, as always, it's down to individual choice -- and my advice would be to visit a decent dealer and either get a listen, or perhaps they may allow you to borrow their dem pair, when they are not using them. (they'll probably want you to leave a deposit until you return the cables).

Best regards and 'happy listening'ÿ
emotion-1.gif

ÿ

How refreshing to see someone from a hifi company not bashing other competitor brands and claiming that 'Ours are best, ignore the rest'ÿ

ÿI currently have some Chord Silver screen in short 2m runs, I have recently considered 'upgrading' to a bi-wire alternative, but will now consider some QED Revelation with Airlocs. Thanks!ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have 16m of QED SA XT biamped as 4 runs of 4m, and terminated with airlocks and am very very happy with the sound. Incredible detail and not the slightest sense of harshness. Much better than some 6mm copper shielded I have on my ProAcs. At the time I couldn't justify 4x6m outlay of £250 or more.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I think its really difficult to decide on speaker cables unless your always listening to one type of music. I have been considering getting the QED XT300 or the Chord Carnival Silverscreen as I want something that doesnt sound bright or excel at the top end but im not sure if the Chord has to be purchased with the terminated ends or if I can use my own 4mm plug? I know with the design of the XT300 its best to stick with the airlocks. Any other cables I should be considering? Im also moving to a 5.1 setup soon so will probably just run one set of cables to the mains rather then biwire them.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome:

Hi Peter,

Lastly, 'Fatboyslimfast' is absolutely correct, "the same depth of bass as my existing wires, but takes the slightest edge off the brightness and gives a bit more focus and clarity" does indeed describe the sound of the Chord Silverscreen, as it does the QED SA-XT. However, even though they are both excellent cables, neither of them comes close to the performance of the new QED Revelation speaker cable, and that applies right across the frequency response.But of course it should be a lot better because, at £15/m it's two and a half times the price!

Best regards and 'happy listening'
emotion-1.gif

Wow, Steve, thank you for what appears to be an honest answer (and again you should be applauded for not bashing the competition). I'm very tempted by the Revelation cables, I have to say.

emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts