Upgrading my receiver and style speaker equipment

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
I currently have an Oppo 83 Blu ray, Cambridge Azure 650 Receiver and Tannoy Arena Style speaker system. I was recently watching/listening to 'Burlesque' and that seemed to really highlight the limit in my system and found the sound a bit too incoherent, so I am looking at upgrading the receiver and style speaker system.

What would represent a really good jump in sound quality - do I need to go as far as the Pioneer LX 83 receiver and Monitor Audio Apex style speakers? Would I need to upgrade to the Oppo 95 or something else too in order to get the best sound?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatfully received.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If style speaker is what you are after then i would recommend the Apex 5.1 system which can be driven by the LX73 easily. Of course if you can afford the LX83 then i would recommend that highly! It will give it an extra bit more grunt! But the LX73 will suffice nicely for the Apex.

As for the Blu Ray, it will not improve the sound as it will only be passing the bitstream to the AV and that will take care of the audio.

Hope this helps :)

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - now time for some listening and shopping!

Cheers
smiley-smile.gif

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree that I would not think you would need to change the source, especially if it is more for movies.

I would question any performance gain of a LX73 over your current amplifier. Which is essentially at the same price point as your existing one?

I would probably look changing the speaker package first, but when choosing be mindful of what amplifier you may be upgrading to at a later date.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Also from a cost point of view I was looking at staging the purchases given the Apex speakers are not cheap (and I'm not sure what they cost in Singapore where I live - fact finding tomorrow - but nowhere near the retailer choice and price competition available in the UK). That will then leave me with the receiver as probably the weak link in system.

One of the reasons I was thinking of upgrading at some point to the Oppo 95 was for its improved stereo music handling due to its DAC onboard (among other musicality related components) - been getting great reviews too. Do you think there would be a better CD player option for around 5-600 quid?

Any thoughts?

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the thought about using a seperate DAC - the Cambridge DACMAGIC looks impressive and not too expensive. Will have to go and check it out.

Well, the Monitor Audio Apex's are now on order so only a few weeks to wait!
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts