Question upgrades for AT-LPW40WN?

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out what I can upgrade in my modest system to improve vinyl sound. I'd like to hear your all's input . Should I upgrade the stock AT-VM95E cartridge or get a phono preamp to use instead of the built in?

My system: Denon AVR-S570BT, Polk Audio RTi A1's, and of course the LPW40WN. I just bought the Denon and I'm not looking to replace the LPW40WN.

Thanks!
Maddie

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out what I can upgrade in my modest system to improve vinyl sound. I'd like to hear your all's input . Should I upgrade the stock AT-VM95E cartridge or get a phono preamp to use instead of the built in?

My system: Denon AVR-S570BT, Polk Audio RTi A1's, and of course the LPW40WN. I just bought the Denon and I'm not looking to replace the LPW40WN.

Thanks!
Maddie
the phono stage in the turntable isn't going to be up to much, what is your budget.
I'd just buy more vinyl.
Of course you could sell the Denon and buy a stereo integrated amp that does have a decent phono stage....
Apologies, welcome to the forum.
Just curious as to how you chose to put these items together, do you have other sources as an AV amp is not necessarily the best in a stereo setup and normally upgrades come from the source (cartridge) of end of line (speakers).

Reactions: Maddie

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
the phono stage in the turntable isn't going to be up to much, what is your budget.
I'd just buy more vinyl.
Of course you could sell the Denon and buy a stereo integrated amp that does have a decent phono stage....

Around a $300 budget for a new cartridge or pre-amp.

If I was the only user of this receiver, I would get a stereo amp but this receiver is also used for AV.

Thanks

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Just thought of this. I listen to a wide variety of genres: rock, electronic, classic pop, jazz. So I'll judge them for being general purpose. Curious to hear your all's opinions on that

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Stick with upgrading the stylus in the cartridge you already own unless you are good at setting up new cartridges probably would be my opinion.
if you cannot align or balance a new cartridge easily yourself then it's unlikely to be an upgrade....
I was thinking about that too. I did the basic setup when I got the tt, but that's it. I'll take a look at what's needed but good point, thanks

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
It seems I can't go too wrong with the 95ML or 95SH. The 95ML stylus is about $30 cheaper and lasts a little longer, so I'm leaning toward the ML.

camcroft

Not when you are going to see little return on the cartridge you are selling on especially at this level when you take postage costs into consideration
We are talking about £26 for a new VM95E cartridge which he got with the turntable anyway so in my mind it's not much of a loss and if something happened to the ML stylus he will still have the 95E stylus if he keeps it. I really don't see your logic when you advise him to look at stylus's that cost £120+ for the ML and the SH is even more costly.

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
We are talking about £26 for a new VM95E cartridge which he got with the turntable anyway so in my mind it's not much of a loss and if something happened to the ML stylus he will still have the 95E stylus if he keeps it. I really don't see your logic when you advise him to look at stylus's that cost £120+ for the ML and the SH is even more costly.
I'm a she

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I'm a she
:eek:
I thought you might be.
(See, they just thought your name meant you were another mad bloke).
Not quite one in a million, but not far off. You know how rare you are don't you Maddie?

I've got the plain VM95E and I think it's great value. I'm well aware of the (potential) advantage of the ML stylus - but haven't gone for one myself.
I do have to wonder if you would get your money's worth - compared to what you already have.

Last edited:

Gray

...back to the subject:
People frown upon YouTube demonstrations of hi-fi....with good reason usually.
For example, someone did a cartridge comparison - but because his recorder didn't have direct line input, he used microphones. So you not only heard the cartridges, but his amp, speakers, room acoustics and the mics.

But this one is more useful.
He does cut between them a bit too quickly, but even so...
Note that the 'E' stylus here is the black version rather than the more common green (which you probably have).
True enough, YT is far from the perfect medium and much will also depend on the playback equipment involved.
But with, say, a decent pair of headphones you may well hear some difference between the two.
(The fact that you might struggle, could also tell you something):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWr-cKcP7nU
For those interested, he provides links to lossless files (just as well with the inner groove distortion test, that he's had to mute due to copyright).

Last edited:

camcroft

As I had previously posted if you buy the complete cartridge all you have to do is swap around the stylus take the ML stylus from the new cartridge and put it into your existing body as it is exactly the same body no real setting up involved only possibly tracking force adjustment.In general it's 2.0g

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts