Upgrade RX6 to neat motive 2se or Tannoy Revolution DC6 T SE

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Dear all,

I have the naim5i set combined with monitor audio RX6. I am keeping the amp for now but am thinking of upgrading the speaker.

Should I upgrade rather to a neat motive 2se or the Tannoy Revolution DC6 T SE?

The neat is about twice as expensive as the tannoy or Rx6 but second I can buy it cheaper than new tannoy's

Is the Tannoy even an upgrade to the Rx6 or rather a side-step?

Any opinions?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Keep the speakers for now and change the amp first. Those RXs will sound blinding with a better amp. Look in the region of Naim XS, Audio Analogue, Roksan Caspian, Creek Destiny or ex-dem Electrocompaniet EC1-3.

I really have to disagree

A better amp? WTF He has a pretty decent amp there as it is - the speakers are the weak point IMO The Neat Motives would be lovely with that amp and they can be had ex-demo/used for about £600

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
Keep the speakers for now and change the amp first. Those RXs will sound blinding with a better amp. Look in the region of Naim XS, Audio Analogue, Roksan Caspian, Creek Destiny or ex-dem Electrocompaniet EC1-3.

A better amp? WTF He has a pretty decent amp there as it is - the speakers are the weak point IMO The Neat Motives would be lovely with that amp and they can be had ex-demo/used for about £600

You're not qualified, as you refer to all MAs as Tizz boom...

Neat Motives lovely? Not according to you. Why not recommend Rega RS3 as you rate them above the Neats and Totems.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

Neat Motives lovely? Not according to you. Why not recommend Rega RS3 as you rate them above the Neats and Totems.

Becasue the OP has suggested 2 speakers and I have given my opinion of the Neats, unfortunalteyl the Neats did not work in my room, neither did the Totems.

To the OP all our replies are our opinion, after all it is a discussion forum - don't take it as gospel - go and audition yourself, however your Naim amp is more than capable of driving the Neats.

Nothing personal PP but its well known that the best driver materail is paper - Think MAs are compositie? Well the awful BX2 i owned were

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

Becasue the OP has suggested 2 speakers and I have given my opinion of the Neats, unfortunalteyl the Neats did not work in my room, neither did the Totems.

To the OP all our replies are our opinion, after all it is a discussion forum - don't take it as gospel - go and audition yourself, however your Naim amp is more than capable of driving the Neats.

Nothing personal PP but its well known that the best driver materail is paper - Think MAs are compositie? Well the awful BX2 i owned were

It's also well documented that I've tried my old Silvers with most sub-£1000 integrateds, over a two year period, and they really do benefit from top-notch amplification.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Anybody here auditioned the tannoy's? Are they that much better than the Ma RX6's?

I only heard the neat motive sx2 till now but was very much impressed with the sound.

aliahk said:
Anybody here auditioned the tannoy's? Are they that much better than the Ma RX6's?

I only heard the neat motive sx2 till now but was very much impressed with the sound.

No, haven't heard Tannoys for years. The best advice I can give is try and audition and decide.

Just out of interest, why are you looking for new speakers when you were singing their praises on another thread?

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I indeed really love my MA RX 6, but if other speakers sound even better why not.

As with everybody here the upgrade virus is never far away. I think I just want some new toys :) and maybe alter or better my existing gig.

Actually I really want to check out the neats and keep my RX6. So I could build a second system(bedroom or so) with the neats and a unitilite(something compact but still high end)

Only my wife disagrees in having a set-up in the bedroom. She wants me to sell my Rx6 if I buy new ones.

If i'm correct you also had the Ma Rx 6 and would first upgrade the amp...

I was thinking now al my components are around 1000€ and my next goal was doubling my budget with 2000€ components. Neat motive+ Nait Xs or caspian M2

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Well funny you should mention this but i have just bought the Nait 5si and CD5 si system. I listened to both the Tannoy DCT6 Se and the Neat Motives sx2's. Both sounded incredible. The tannoy for me had the larger soundstage but the Neats were also v good. The tannoys can be had for £719 brand new and the neats for around £1100. I'm now on the lookout for speakers to go with this system. I quite like the two mentioned and the soundstage that went with them. Based on the fact that i cant go bigger than the tannoys and they will be positioned next to a wall what would you recommend i listen to to complement my purchase? I am happy with stand mounters if necessary. Ideally my budget is £1100 max.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey shep,

Were the neats's better than the tannoy's? Worthy of the price difference? Could you push the neats as hard as the tannoy's?

Did you also audition the naim 5si with monitor audio RX6? A few years ago that was the recommended combination of what hifi.

Grtz

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
aliahk said:
Hey shep,

Were the neats's better than the tannoy's? Worthy of the price difference? Could you push the neats as hard as the tannoy's?

Did you also audition the naim 5si with monitor audio RX6? A few years ago that was the recommended combination of what hifi.

Grtz
They were both good i couldnt hear much difference between them but i was getting demo fatigue by then. We didnt push them too loud, they would go a lot louder than they did. If i had space for them i would certainly conside the DCT6 SE at £719 brand new, £400 cheaper than the Neats. I didnt try the RX6, the shop doesnt carry them.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
shep1968 said:
They were both good i couldnt hear much difference between them but i was getting demo fatigue by then. We didnt push them too loud, they would go a lot louder than they did. If i had space for them i would certainly conside the DCT6 SE at £719 brand new, £400 cheaper than the Neats. I didnt try the RX6, the shop doesnt carry them.

[/quote]

Shep,

Can you tell me were you demoed these speakers because where I'm from there much more expensive than 719£.

Grtz

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
aliahk said:
shep1968 said:

Shep,

Can you tell me were you demoed these speakers because where I'm from there much more expensive than 719£.

Grtz

[/quote] Are you in the Uk aliahk? This shop doesnt export. Also, mods am i allowed to do so? They are advertised on their website at £719. they are a proper hifi shop not just online, just bought my naim kit from there.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not from the uk, but the 17th i'm coming over so maybe that shop can do a good deal with me :)

Over here they cost 1800€ for the set = 1500£. That's a lot of difference!

Grtz

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
aliahk said:
I'm not from the uk, but the 17th i'm coming over so maybe that shop can do a good deal with me :)

Grtz
http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_TAN_REVDC6TSE_ST_&CAT=&ID=8472&nexd=1

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
shep1968 said:
aliahk said:

Grtz
http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_TAN_REVDC6TSE_ST_&CAT=&ID=8472&nexd=1

Not Creative audio......lol.

They're only good for taking their prices to a 'real' shop to match their prices, chances are they'll end up selling you something completely different to what you wanted for slightly more...... a shop of dubious character.....

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
aliahk said:

I auditioned Naim 5i with MA RX2 and RX6, awful combination IMO.

Anyway, Exposure 2010S2 is much better amp than Naim 5i.

Exposure 2010S2 better suits Motive2 (XS).

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[

[/quote]

Not Creative audio......lol.

They're only good for taking their prices to a 'real' shop to match their prices, chances are they'll end up selling you something completely different to what you wanted for slightly more...... a shop of dubious character.....

[/quote] Well that doesnt sound true with my experience. They are as good as anywhere else i went with the advantage of being several hundred pounds cheaper and having most of the equipment in that i wanted to listen to. Told them what i wanted to listen to and made my choice. No pressure nothing. Satisfied after two demos.

TRENDING THREADS