Upgrade MA BR2s partnering Marantz CD and PM 6002

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have the Marantz PM6002 and CD6002 and am running the MA BR2s. I did listen before I bought but I am afraid I committed the mortal sin of not comparing the equipment with anything else.

I am now wondering what I could gain by upgrading the BR2s. I could spend £400-700 but the speakers would need to be placed fairly close to the wall so prob not rear ported. I would prefer standmounts again.

Thanks.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for the B&W 685's with good mass loadable stands and you can use the foam bungs to stop any bass-boom if the speakers need to be located near to walls.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Boring to you but not everyone else.

Really hifibob needs to get a list of 4 or 5 sets of standmount speakers and audition as many of them as he can with his amp and CDP combo really.

As he said before he didnt audition the BR2's so hopefully he has learnt from that

With that budget though he could go for some better speakers really. The M/A RS1's would be worth a listen.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Boring to you but not everyone else.

Really hifibob needs to get a list of 4 or 5 sets of standmount speakers and audition as many of them as he can with his amp and CDP combo really.
As he said before he didnt audition the BR2's so hopefully he has learnt from that
With that budget though he could go for some better speakers really. The M/A RS1's would be worth a listen.[/quote]

IMO : In My Opinion

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cypher"]
I would not recommend the 685, boring speakers IMO. You could try the new Epos M5i or the Focal Chorus 706V.
[/quote]

Quality reply, I love the Focal's. And to me, the B&W's were quite boring too, they didn't impress during a recent listening sessions. To the original poster, you could also try Focal's 806/807. Another speaker that really impressed me lately were the Dynaudio Audience 42.

Try looking further than the usual suspects, i.e. RS1 and 685's, there's alot out there, and alot you could possibly like and a lot you can possibly hate. Take your gear into a local hifi shop (if they don't have the Marantz combo themselves) and listen to a slew of speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the swift responses I will try to demo as many of the suggestions as I can. P.S. I do most of my listening at low to moderate volumes. Does that narrow it down any more or bring to mind any other obvious candidates.

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

What kind of music do you actually listen to, I could spew loads of speaker recommendations, but without knowing what kind of music you like this can be quite fruitless.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jan Hibma"]What kind of music do you actually listen to, I could spew loads of speaker recommendations, but without knowing what kind of music you like this can be quite fruitless.[/quote]

Good point, I forgot to mention that I listen to quite a range. Classical, Jazz and Rock/Indie/Pop.

A

Anonymous

What about the new Kef XQ 10, I saw a great review by Andrew in Gramophone. Or would my amp not be able to do this level of speaker justice?

A

Anonymous

I don't think your amp would be quite up too snuff to hear the full potential of the KEF's, though I heard them recently through two amps, a PM7001 and a PM15S1, and the PM7001 drove them very nicely though there was a very distinct difference with the PM15SI.

Can the review be found online, or could you possibly scan the article? I'd love to read the article but I haven't seen an issue of Grammophone in the store here, ever.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jan Hibma"]
I don't think your amp would be quite up too snuff to hear the full potential of the KEF's, though I heard them recently through two amps, a PM7001 and a PM15S1, and the PM7001 drove them very nicely though there was a very distinct difference with the PM15SI.

Can the review be found online, or could you possibly scan the article? I'd love to read the article but I haven't seen an issue of Grammophone in the store here, ever.

[/quote]

Unfortunately I think I have thrown away my copy of the mag, I haven't got a scanner anyway. From what I remember Andrew was very impressed with the build and sound of the speakers. He said they would particualrly suit classical music fans with small listening rooms.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifibob"]
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]

[/quote]

Unfortunately I think I have thrown away my copy of the mag, I haven't got a scanner anyway. From what I remember Andrew was very impressed with the build and sound of the speakers. He said they would particualrly suit classical music fans with small listening rooms.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I really appreciate it. I was very impressed with them when I heard them, albeit for a short time. I played some Dire Straits and Pixies and was thoroughly impressed by such a big and wide sound from a relatively small speaker. Try them for yourself to see how much you like them, though as I've stated earlier I don't think you;ll be hearing them to their full potential.

I'll open up a new thread, maybe Andrew is willing to post his review online. He did the same recently with his Escient Fireball review.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Cypher"]
I would not recommend the 685, boring speakers IMO. You could try the new Epos M5i or the Focal Chorus 706V.

[/quote]

I agree but perhaps you like them though they are certainly no great step up from what you have. You cant go far wrong with Epos M5 or 12.2 in their older or newer guises for the money. Also consider Rega's R3, although a floorstander, it looks great and unobtrusive and in some ways is better than the Eposes.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
You don't like the Focal Chorus 706 V ? Please don't say they are diabolical.........
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Cypher"]

[/quote]

I agree but perhaps you like them though they are certainly no great step up from what you have. You cant go far wrong with Epos M5 or 12.2 in their older or newer guises for the money. Also consider Rega's R3, although a floorstander, it looks great and unobtrusive and in some ways is better than the Eposes.

[/quote]

How would you describe the sound of the Rega's drummerman, I see you;ve been giving them a lot of praise and I noticed a nice mint pair for a very decent price on a marketplace site. Would they be a big upgrade over my B&W's and, which I know you're not a fan of. Would they match my Marantz equipment?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]How would you describe the sound of the Rega's drummerman, I see you;ve been giving them a lot of praise and I noticed a nice mint pair for a very decent price on a marketplace site. Would they be a big upgrade over my B&W's and, which I know you're not a fan of. Would they match my Marantz equipment?[/quote]

They are a musical speaker by that I mean everything is in proportion, no 'boom and fizz'. They are exceptionally fast and open too, neutral as you can probably can get at the price (I dont know the Focals Cypher's suggesting). Treble is miles (!) better than the B&W's. There are other advantages to them too.

Still, you should, if you can, listen to them first. We dont all like the same thing.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="drummerman"]
Never heard them and would i ever say anything like that ...
[/quote]

(drums fingers on chin.....)[/quote]

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]

[quote user="Cypher"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The epos m12.2s look like a good deal as they can be had for 350. Are they rear ported? Would the be ok quite close to the wall in my small listening room? Would they be a huge step up from the BR2s.

I just want to check before I spend time demoing.

Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="hifibob"]The epos m12.2s look like a good deal as they can be had for 350. Are they rear ported?[/quote]

Yes

[quote user="hifibob"]Would the be ok quite close to the wall in my small listening room?[/quote]

Probably not. Try M5's (i) for a small room or Rega's R3 (front ported) for 'close' to rear wall placement though most speakers benefit from a bit of space to the rear/sides.

A

Anonymous

hifibob you have not told us what you dont like about your current setup, speakers might not be the problem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts