Upgrade from Marantz PM 5005 for Quad 12l2

mfortpied

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Need or want to upgrade my amplifier PM 5005.

Should I remain in the Marantz line say PM 7005 or second hand such as Marantz Pearl Lite o you suggest a better mariage for my Quad 12l2?

Options so far could be: Arcam A 19, Nad C326BEE, Rotel? Audiolab? Amc?

I am streaming through Bluesound Node or DACMagic 100. Cables Rca Qed performance 40.

What I am looking for is basically detailed smooth and spacious and open sound to play at moderate levels. Bring these little cute boxes to their full potential.

Thanks for reading!

Marc

mfortpied said:
Hi

Need or want to upgrade my amplifier PM 5005.

Should I remain in the Marantz line say PM 7005 or second hand such as Marantz Pearl Lite o you suggest a better mariage for my Quad 12l2?

Options so far could be: Arcam A 19, Nad C326BEE, Rotel? Audiolab? Amc?

I am streaming through Bluesound Node or DACMagic 100. Cables Rca Qed performance 40.

What I am looking for is basically detailed smooth and spacious and open sound to play at moderate levels. Bring these little cute boxes to their full potential.

Thanks for reading!

Marc

Welcome to the forum Marc.

Can I ask what your budget might be. What do you find lacking in your old amp?

mfortpied

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the welcoming been following up you guys for quite some time from my beloved Spain..

Budget is about 750 to 1000 GBP . Dont know actually if this new amp will be such a "noticeable" change to my current settings as the Marantz is doing a quite fine job. I am missing maybe a more airy sound and a most precise instrumental setting. Texture and detail wise I am quite sastified but havent had the chance to listen to a superior AMP with these speakers and don't know if the bottle neck is at the amp or the speakers themselves (or Blue sound Node of course...)

I am backing up the system with a BK Electronics Gemini II sub for the soft deeper bass set at a min volume and crossover at 48Hz. Just enough to give some depth these beautiful speakers when they dont reach.

I am open to any suggestion and dont mind SH options as what matters after is the asteathics and not the looks...

Audio Maniac

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I would try to get a second hand Creek 5350SE or Creek Destiny. Perhaps, the former is best sub 1000 pounds integrated amplifier ever made in Britain. The latter is more powerful, a bit more refined and uses the same MOS FET outuput.

I would only purchase an Marantz if I had a chance to choose one of the Reference models, like PM-15S1, PM-15S2 or PM-15S3. Anyway, although they are more expensive, Creek 5350SE is better.

mfortpied said:
Thanks for the welcoming been following up you guys for quite some time from my beloved Spain..

Budget is about 750 to 1000 GBP . Dont know actually if this new amp will be such a "noticeable" change to my current settings as the Marantz is doing a quite fine job. I am missing maybe a more airy sound and a most precise instrumental setting. Texture and detail wise I am quite sastified but havent had the chance to listen to a superior AMP with these speakers and don't know if the bottle neck is at the amp or the speakers themselves (or Blue sound Node of course...)

I am backing up the system with a BK Electronics Gemini II sub for the soft deeper bass set at a min volume and crossover at 48Hz. Just enough to give some depth these beautiful speakers when they dont reach.

I am open to any suggestion and dont mind SH options as what matters after is the asteathics and not the looks...

mfortpied

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Audio Maniac for your exquisite suggestions!

Part of pleasure in listening music is to read and discover reviews about such devices and fight your way around to get these little jewls.

Found a 5350se in Japan in mint condition but 115V...

Open to more suggestions of course

Best regards

Marc

Audio Maniac

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Marc,

All Creek's export products are 115/230V. The referred amp can be converted into 230V easily.

I reckon you referred to the amp on sale at HiFiDo Shop, didn't you?

mfortpied said:
Thank you Audio Maniac for your exquisite suggestions!

Part of pleasure in listening music is to read and discover reviews about such devices and fight your way around to get these little jewls.

Found a 5350se in Japan in mint condition but 115V...

Open to more suggestions of course

Best regards

Marc

mfortpied

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Obviously!!

I am not in that hurry! I am sure a smart guy will want to pay that plus 150 euros shipping +some import charges etc... Wouldn't you? Or I guess one the proud owner of one already??...

Although I know I could resell it easily before I go through the process might as well look around and enjoy the research...

mfortpied

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I finally got myself a second hand Creek Audio Destiny 2, after some research and reviews.

More infom shortly about the matching results with my Quad 12L2.

Regards

Marc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts