Marantz KI pearl lite cd OR amp upgrade?

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using a Marantz universal disc player (UD5007) with an AV receiver (SR6003) for my main music duties and although it sounds decent, I've been planning to upgrade for better 2 channel sound for some time - with the Pearl Lites top of my shopping list especially now they are under £700 each. I can't afford to get both at once though so my question is which option would provide the best result:

1. Add the pearl lite amp to my current set up and use alongside the SR6003 as a power amp with the existing disc player or;

2. Add the pearl lite CD player to use with my current AV receiver, leaving my UD5007 only for Blu-ray duty

I would rather get the amp than have two separate disc players, as although I'm certain the cd player will far outperform my current disc payer, I assume a 2 channel amp would see the biggest improvement in my set up. Any suggestions?

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks both. Hadn't really considered adding an outboard DAC instead of a separate CD player. Would the UD5007 through a DAC costing around £200-£250 sound better than say, a CD6004?

One of the reasons I'd like a separate CD player is because the disc tray & controls on the UD5007 are so slow to respond it gets really annoying! Not a problem for movies but I use it 80% for music! Pearl Lite may be an expensive way to get around this but I was planning on using it's DAC.

cannibal_ox77 said:
Thanks both. Hadn't really considered adding an outboard DAC instead of a separate CD player. Would the UD5007 through a DAC costing around £200-£250 sound better than say, a CD6004?

One of the reasons I'd like a separate CD player is because the disc tray & controls on the UD5007 are so slow to respond it gets really annoying! Not a problem for movies but I use it 80% for music! Pearl Lite may be an expensive way to get around this but I was planning on using it's DAC.

Yes a dac will improve the SQ of the DVD player but whether it compares to price compatible CDP will only be determined by a demonstration.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It is strange not to see at least one optical or coax out on this type of player. I guess its cost cutting the non essential stuff. Its not catering for older pre-hdmi gear but with AV amps having several HDMI inputs it's not really needed. To be honest I didn't even realise until checking today!

The next model up in the range, the UD7007 does have digital outs as well as an extra hdmi out and balanced xlr (you'd think so for £1k). Even that has been stripped of the multichannel analogue outputs of its predecessor the 7006. I was looking at the 7006 but don't have any SACDs or a 5.1 setup so wasn't worth paying the higher price.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The Pearl Lite SACD player is not the quickest to load, not as quick as a CD only device any way though probably quicker than a blu ray player, though I am not very familiar with blu ray. I would certainly want to test one against your universal player, as I suspect there would not be a night and day difference, though as someone who owns the Pearl Lite I can vouch for its quality, especially with the largely accoustic diet of music I play, including lots of small scale classical, though I have been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd and David Bowie through it recently to impressive effect. I would predict a greater improvement with a dedicated stereo amp though.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Cheers James, I've heard the Pearl Lites through Kef LS50s with Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake, sounded stunning. Dream Brother and Cello Song just blew me away :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts