Understanding HDR

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i have read a couple of things alone that made me ask questions about the whole HDR format.

so samsung said 1000 nits in its new tvs work better in a brightly lit room, would it have any real effect in a dark room? as i read this on avsforum. it is quoted.Aside from the increased brightness (which is worthless when viewing in the dark), I've seen nothing to suggest the 2016 OLEDs include any improvements expected to deliver 1080p SDR viewing.

different topic but he said the brightness increase is worthless in the dark while watching?

what i want to know is do i need to change my picture mode for optimal HDR viewing or can i leave it on movie? as i have also seen multiple people on avforums say movie mode darkens the image a lot on the js8500 i have. and if it darkens the image surely it would lessen the effect of HDR even though its backlight/constrast is maxed out? i have wondered this for many months but cant tell if theres any difference in movie, dynamic and standard modes for the brightness in HDR.

what would be awesome is a website or thread detailing the brightness of certain films/tv series/scenes so we actually know if our tv is displaying all what they are trying to show us. for example my tv is capable of 600 nits, and the scene i find most impressive in HDR could actually be 500 nits instead of 600 for example and i wouldnt know any better knowing it could get brighter.

i find certain scenes of the man in the high castle exceptional in the first half of episode 1, nothing amazing for 2nd half and so far of episode 2.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Imagine you've got a perfectly good TV, and the consumer electronics manufacturers want to make you feel it's no longer good enough, so you have to buy a new one. Got it yet?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Imagine you've got a perfectly good TV, and the consumer electronics manufacturers want to make you feel it's no longer good enough, so you have to buy a new one. Got it yet?

yes! still want to know if changing movie modes proves to not do anything.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
a movie mode or any mode will mostly likely affect the picture gamma curve and other peripheral settings - that is what you are seeing when changing the mode

One would expect the movie or ISF mode to be the most accurate out of the box and have the flattest gamma and if you are used to watching a mode with a skewed gamma which is highlighting the upper range of the image - (making it lighter to improve sharpness and also increase perceived dynamic range (falsely) then the movie mode may look duller as a result - that doesnt mean its wrong

However this will not affect overal peak brightness 1000 nits or whatever is claimed (to the best of my knowledge) in any way as Overall peak brightness this is set with the combination of contrast level and brightness settings - possibly backlight settings in an LED / LCD

TRENDING THREADS